PDA

View Full Version : Moon House in Utah

Alan McConnell
20-Feb-2011, 11:34
Last spring I traveled out to Utah, like I've done several times. One of the stops I wanted to get into was the old ruins called the Moon House. I was wondering if anyone has been there while lugging a LF? What, if any issues will I have?

Peter York
20-Feb-2011, 14:24
I've been. No big issues but the trail is steep in places over the slickrock. Bring some rope because at one point you will have to lower your camera/bag down about 6-7 feet before climbing down yourself onto a makeshift stairway/platform below (this is not verry difficult). Also make sure you have a pass and follow etiquette for ruins.

Heroique
20-Feb-2011, 15:40
What, if any issues will I have?

One key issue is not being able to locate it on USGS quads. The agency has chosen not to include it, I presume to better protect its beautiful condition from the masses. I’m not sure whether the older maps – or the newest ones – include it. Ironically, you do need a day-use permit, as Peter mentions.

If you find Moon House, be prepared for plenty of “interior photography.” The white and polytonal pictographs are one of its mesmerizing features.

If you don’t find it, no worries. Cedar Mesa, as you likely know, is home to countless spectacular Anasazi ruins.

Inside the alcove, you might find a tin can with a paper “registry.” The individual entries used to be weeks and months apart! I hate these things, even if they’re supplied by the BLM or USFS. Perhaps they reduce the urge to leave behind “proof of your discovery” in more harmful ways.

John Powers
20-Feb-2011, 17:00
I googled and came up with this,
http://www.climb-utah.com/CM/moonhouse.htm

It reads as if you can obtain a lot more information by joining the “circle of friends.” I have no connection, but I like what I see there.

It reads that you need two permits,
“In addition to the BLM permit you also need a McCloyd Canyon/Moon House Recreation Management Zone Day Use Permit.”

Wish I could join you, but it looks a little rough for an old guy with a 7x17 in baby jogger. Enjoy.

John

Alan McConnell
21-Feb-2011, 04:36
Thanks guys. I planned on doing it last year. I even used google maps and found the parking spot and trails to the canyon. However, when we got out there last year, there was way too much snow to go down the dirt road. I was wondering if I would need a rope. Good advice. Also, I was thinking about taking a big flash light for the interior and painting with light. A little tricky but could be fun.
Nearby, in relative terms, is the Grand Gulch. Anyone have advice for that? Is it possible to do that as a day hike, or does it need to be back-packed?

Steve Gledhill
21-Feb-2011, 06:29
Thanks guys. I planned on doing it last year. I even used google maps and found the parking spot and trails to the canyon. However, when we got out there last year, there was way too much snow to go down the dirt road. I was wondering if I would need a rope. Good advice. Also, I was thinking about taking a big flash light for the interior and painting with light. A little tricky but could be fun.
Nearby, in relative terms, is the Grand Gulch. Anyone have advice for that? Is it possible to do that as a day hike, or does it need to be back-packed?

My recollection is of one very steep section - probably the one referred to above needing rope. We managed without but it was dangerous. One slip and its all over. This link is to my Moonhouse picture (http://www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/photo3241649.html) - no artifical light needed.

As for Grand Gulch - yes, you can get in and out in a day - but you need a week or more to make it worthwhile. The twice I was there in 2001 and 2003 we needed permits for backpacking.

Heroique
21-Feb-2011, 09:01
...You need a week or more to make [Grand Gulch] worthwhile.

Yes, you should take a week – especially if you want to make it down to the San Juan, exploring all the ruins you’ll see along the way. Of course, this would be an arduous journey w/ LF gear. But the place is so beautiful, so peaceful, you’ll forget the pain.

An abbreviated, 2-night trip into Grand Gulch is also rewarding. You can enter via Kane Gulch ranger station, travel a spectacular portion of Grand Gulch, then exit Bullet Canyon, which brings you out a few miles down the road. There’s parking at both Kane Gulch ranger station and Bullet Canyon trailhead. Bullet Canyon is beautiful in its own right, and also worth a day trip.

Peter York
21-Feb-2011, 10:48
You can do day hikes into Grand Gulch but the best way to see it is via an overnight trip. There are horse/pack animal tours that may accomodate LF gear.

Alan McConnell
28-Mar-2011, 16:28
Well, I made it back home after a great trip. The Moon House was wonderful. The road leading out to the trailhead was interesting (Snow Flats Road). Thanks for the advice about the rope to get the equipment down the slope. I'm looking forward to getting into the darkroom to develope the film. Valley of the Gods would have been better if it wasn't for the wind/sand storm. The kind people at the Kane Gulch station said there were pack lama's for hire but not horses. Does anyone know of some contacts for pack animails future trips into the Grand Gulch? That's sounds like a fun way to handle Gulch and better for a bad knee.

Chris Wong
28-Mar-2011, 17:57
Alan,

Out of curiosity regarding your question about rental pack llamas I did a google search and found http://www.llamapack.com/text/grand-g.html.

Chris

Alan McConnell
28-Mar-2011, 19:05
Thanks Chris. I would think it would be cool to set up a trip with a group of people that were all using LF.

Steve Gledhill
29-Mar-2011, 04:24
Well, I made it back home after a great trip. The Moon House was wonderful. The road leading out to the trailhead was interesting (Snow Flats Road). Thanks for the advice about the rope to get the equipment down the slope. I'm looking forward to getting into the darkroom to develope the film. Valley of the Gods would have been better if it wasn't for the wind/sand storm. The kind people at the Kane Gulch station said there were pack lama's for hire but not horses. Does anyone know of some contacts for pack animails future trips into the Grand Gulch? That's sounds like a fun way to handle Gulch and better for a bad knee.

Larry Sandford ran llama trips into Grand Gulch for Buckhorn Llamas (http://www.llamapack.com/index.html) I've no idea if he still does or if it's someone else - but you could ask. Buckhorn Llamas advertise Grand Gulch trips. Larry is/was based in Bluff. I took a couple of superb trips into Grand Gulch several years ago on large format workshops run by Don Kirby.

Added - just read previous post from Chris - same link. Maybe Don still organises the LF trips - you could check via his website (http://www.donkirby.com/).