PDA

View Full Version : Lens mounting tip please?

Shen45
20-Feb-2011, 05:50
I have a beautiful Shen 5x4 on loan from a friend and I have a very nice 300 Ektar in an Ilex #4. Due to the middle "prong" at the bottom of the lensboard mounting area on the Shen the #4 shutter seems to be unmountable.

Has anyone mounted a #4 on a standard Shen Hoa 5x4. Some digi snaps would really help. I thought about an angle grinder but some how I don't think David would be all that thrilled :)

Also meant to say it is a standard size Linhof board.

Steve Hamley
20-Feb-2011, 08:41
What's hitting what? Flange or shutter? Are you using a flange mounted to the front of the board?

Cheers, Steve

vizion
20-Feb-2011, 08:47
I have a beautiful Shen 5x4 on loan from a friend and I have a very nice 300 Ektar in an Ilex #4. Due to the middle "prong" at the bottom of the lensboard mounting area on the Shen the #4 shutter seems to be unmountable.

Has anyone mounted a #4 on a standard Shen Hoa 5x4. Some digi snaps would really help. I thought about an angle grinder but some how I don't think David would be all that thrilled :)

Also meant to say it is a standard size Linhof board.

It is difficult to know without seeing but my guess is you need to file a small slot in the bottom of your linhof board so the middle prong in the mounting area slides into the slot. It sounds as though your board is not the same as the TK board which has a slot cut in it. Just carefully mark out the length/depth of the required slot and use a very fine file to cut the slot.
My two penoortn -use at yr own risk! <chuckles>

Incidentally you may need to alter the angle the lens is mounted in the board so the lens controls do not clash with the retainer

Dominique Cesari
20-Feb-2011, 11:59
I understand that you are used enough to LF to have a lensboard with the slot in the middle of the base to receive the "prong" (nota : Chamonix lensboards don't have this slot and it's a concern to use them on the cameras that does have the "prong").
I never had an Ilex #4 in hands. Their overall width is slightly more than 4 inches, so they oversize the Technika board. The "prong" probably pushes the shutter and prevents it from resting properly on the lensboard. A shim could help, if the screw as enough travel. But the outer part of the shutter may also not slip into the square space of the front board. If so, you could use a low profile protruding lensboard in #3 size (not easy to find) and drill it to #4 Ilex size.

Shen45
20-Feb-2011, 14:41
Thanks all for the suggestions. The image of the extended board gives me some ideas to consider. If I work out a solution I will post an image.