PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 45A and Roll Film

Clint Chadwick
19-Feb-2011, 17:56
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a Toyo 45A with a rotating back and am still learning how to use it. I am new to LF so I am still trying to learn the terminology and what is compatible with what camera. It appears that the Toyo rotating back is a "spring back" not a "graflok/international back". Is this correct?

I ask this question as I am unable to figure out how to use a Graflex Graphic 23 roll film back with it.

The mechanism that holds the rotating back on works very similar to a lens board retention mechanism on the front of the camera. The height of the rotating back, unsurprisingly, is much larger than that of the roll fill back so it is obvious I cannot just take one off and put the other on.

Is the Toyo 45A incompatible with Roll Film adapters for Graflok backs or am I missing something? Does anyone know if the Toyo 6x7 Roll Film Adapter will work with this camera or am I stuck with ones that are the approximate size of a cut film holder (i.e. Calumet C2)?

Also, everything I read about the 45AII (I just have the 45A) talks about a frensel lens on the rotating back, but I don't have one. Is this normal for the 45A or am I missing one and perhaps going to have a problem focusing?

RandyB
19-Feb-2011, 20:35
My 45A has the rotating Graflok back, I shoot roll film all the time. Are you by chance removing the entire back by sliding the locks at the top and the bottom to release it? The Graflok back will have a knurled part at the edges above and below the view hood that you press on and slide to the right to remove it. The sliding locks for the roll film holder are under there. Be careful when removing the view hood part as it can slip out of your hands easily.

Per Madsen
20-Feb-2011, 01:57
There are a lot of Toyo 45A variations, while the Toyo 45AII is quite consistent.

Guide to identification of Toyo 45A and AII cameras

Gray-metalic color Very early Toyo 45A
Black color Toyo 45A og Toyo 45AII

Silver accesory shoe Toyo 45A
Black accesory shoe Toyo 45AII

Square knobs Toyo 45A
Rubber covered knobs Toyo 45AII

Frontstandard with metalic slide Toyo 45A and very early Toyo 45AII
Frontstandard with black slide Toyo 45AII

Serialnumber stating with 18 Toyo 45A
Serialnumber starting with 120 Toyo 45AII

Rotating Graflok back Late Toyo 45A and Toyo 45AII
Non rotating Graflok back Early Toyo 45A

Both the Toyo 6 * 7 and the Toyo 6 * 9 backs should work with this camera, but only the 4"*5" versions of the backs.

Clint Chadwick
20-Feb-2011, 04:58
The Graflok back will have a knurled part at the edges above and below the view hood that you press on and slide to the right to remove it. The sliding locks for the roll film holder are under there. Be careful when removing the view hood part as it can slip out of your hands easily.

That worked brilliantly! I was wondering what those knurled levers were for! Thanks for your help!

Serialnumber stating with 18 Toyo 45A
Serialnumber starting with 120 Toyo 45AII

Thanks Per, but my serial number (if the number I am seeing on the front edge of the bed is the serial number) starts with a 16 (dash) and then 7 digits. Does the serial number starting with a 16 have an significance?

Per Madsen
20-Feb-2011, 08:19
Thanks Per, but my serial number (if the number I am seeing on the front edge of the bed is the serial number) starts with a 16 (dash) and then 7 digits. Does the serial number starting with a 16 have an significance?

It is the correct location for the serial number.

If you check it according to my list, is it a late or early Toyo 45 A ?

Clint Chadwick
20-Feb-2011, 08:30
It is the correct location for the serial number.

If you check it according to my list, is it a late or early Toyo 45 A ?

It is black, with a silver accessory shoe, with hard black plastic knobs, a metallic front standard and a rotating graflok back. According to your list it means it is a late model 45A.

Thanks!