PDA

View Full Version : Through the Looking Glass

mobius32
19-Feb-2011, 13:37
Okay, this brief post is admittedly entirely corny, hokey, and sappy (and those are just the words that end in "y") ... but I took my first few looks through ground glass on my little used 4x5 and there is really something special about looking through GG. Now, I'm not going to get all metaphysical like some Leica or Alpa users ... and I'm not sure that I've found the correct phrase or words to describe what's special ... but this unique feeling is more than simply because the image shows an upside down world:) Whatever the reason, it feels exciting. I'll order some film next week and see how that next step goes. All right, that's all I have to say.

cw_gti
19-Feb-2011, 13:41
congrats man. Im still looking and saving for my first lf. i look forward to seeing your first pics. give me something to aspire too.

mobius32
19-Feb-2011, 13:45
congrats man. Im still looking and saving for my first lf. i look forward to seeing your first pics. give me something to aspire too.

Will do!

IanG
19-Feb-2011, 14:17
Did you ever think about why Charles Dodgson called his Book Alice: Through the Looking Glass :D

D A Spencer wrote a superb book around 1939, Colour Photography in Practice, and used quotes from Dodgson's books through out and they are so apt.

Dodgson was a mathematician, photographer and almost ordained minister (Church of England).

Ian

mobius32
19-Feb-2011, 16:00
Did you ever think about why Charles Dodgson called his Book Alice: Through the Looking Glass :D

D A Spencer wrote a superb book around 1939, Colour Photography in Practice, and used quotes from Dodgson's books through out and they are so apt.

Dodgson was a mathematician, photographer and almost ordained minister (Church of England).

Ian

Well, I must have been channeling Dodgson when I titled this post (ha, ha).

Professional
19-Feb-2011, 16:35
Isn't that a great feeling?!!!
I did shoot yesterday my first ever LF in my life, after all that hubby dubby since last year i did it at the end, wasn't perfect as it should be but doesn't matter, get something better than nothing, and i was hoping to start with my favorite color film, Velvia 50 but i don't have it yet, also i chose Acros as my first B&W, but i didn't get B&W sheets processed from the lab yet.

Congrats and waiting your works.

mobius32
19-Feb-2011, 20:46
Isn't that a great feeling?!!!
I did shoot yesterday my first ever LF in my life, after all that hubby dubby since last year i did it at the end, wasn't perfect as it should be but doesn't matter, get something better than nothing, and i was hoping to start with my favorite color film, Velvia 50 but i don't have it yet, also i chose Acros as my first B&W, but i didn't get B&W sheets processed from the lab yet.

Congrats and waiting your works.

Yes, it's a very pleasant surprise. I'm just taking it bit by bit; unfortunately, my camera won't accept the Polaroid holder so it'll be a little difficult for me to make test exposures (but that's just another excuse to get a new camera!)

Vaughn
19-Feb-2011, 21:01
Just developed the first ten 8x10 negs from my recent CA desert trip -- not all "winners", but lots of fun to see what "pops" out of the Jobo Expert tank! So, a third of the negs from that trip done...more tomorrow! And 10 rolls of 120 B&W to do also (but only 5 from that trip).

I can remember, many years ago, after spending a bunch of time under the darkcloth -- I poked my head from under the cloth and it was the "real" world that looked upside down! After all, the light is thrown on our retinas the same way it is thrown onto the GG!

Professional
19-Feb-2011, 21:18
Yes, it's a very pleasant surprise. I'm just taking it bit by bit; unfortunately, my camera won't accept the Polaroid holder so it'll be a little difficult for me to make test exposures (but that's just another excuse to get a new camera!)

In fact you need just a light meter, i also thinking to get the polaroid, but for the first time test yesterday i didn't use a polaroid or any light meter, i just cheated and used my digital camera, then from what i see o the LCD i set my LF camera to a desirable settings and shoot, later i found out that my color slides were fine except one sheet has a silly mistake but the exposure was really fine even not perfect or spot on, but i loved the color even there are difference between 2 sheets for same film, and the sharpness on the areas in focus is unbelievable, and aye today i have to bring B&W sheets as well and see, so if the B&W also turning out great then i will addict this LF more.

Good luck!

mobius32
19-Feb-2011, 21:39
In fact you need just a light meter, i also thinking to get the polaroid, but for the first time test yesterday i didn't use a polaroid or any light meter, i just cheated and used my digital camera, then from what i see o the LCD i set my LF camera to a desirable settings and shoot, later i found out that my color slides were fine except one sheet has a silly mistake but the exposure was really fine even not perfect or spot on, but i loved the color even there are difference between 2 sheets for same film, and the sharpness on the areas in focus is unbelievable, and aye today i have to bring B&W sheets as well and see, so if the B&W also turning out great then i will addict this LF more.

Good luck!

Okay, that's good to know because I have spot meter as well as DSLRs with spot metering capability. Thanks.

Robert Hughes
21-Feb-2011, 14:47
You're just experiencing photography from an Australian's perspective - everything's upside down!

mobius32
21-Feb-2011, 16:02
You're just experiencing photography from an Australian's perspective - everything's upside down!

:) :)