PDA

View Full Version : Voigtländer Euryscop Series VII a ?

Steven Tribe
19-Feb-2011, 04:10
I started this in a long existing Euryscop WA thread.
Surely some of our Voigtländer experts with access to Thiele can find it?
Series VIIa , size 8, F18?
It doesn't look like a counterfeit.
My apologies for those who find this thread when checking out the other VIIa lens (protar) postings!

Emil Schildt
19-Feb-2011, 04:47
I started this in a long existing Euryscop WA thread.
Surely some of our Voigtländer experts with access to Thiele can find it?
Series VIIa , size 8, F18?
It doesn't look like a counterfeit.
My apologies for those who find this thread when checking out the other VIIa lens (protar) postings!

I have the Thiele book, but no mentioning of the VIIa as I can see it...

CCHarrison
19-Feb-2011, 06:08
From The New Photo Miniature Magazine 1900

Dan

Steven Tribe
19-Feb-2011, 06:39
Many many thanks for looking this up, Dan. I am surprised it isn't in Thiele.
So I assume the coverage is as for the first series. Too big for me, though.

As I have already received a PM (thanks!) I would like to add that it is not for sale.

Tom Sobota
19-Feb-2011, 14:29
I notice that the magazine article mentions that this particular Euryscop is built using magnalium, an aleation of aluminium and magnesium. However your lens seems to be built with brass...or is it? Do you notice some difference in weight?

Tom

Steven Tribe
19-Feb-2011, 14:53
No, its the usual Voigtländer brass. The section talks about the renewal of the Series 1A and I am sure this comment about the aluminium alloy refers to the huge early series and lenses made for "hand cameras". This use of alloys became popular in the 1890's with Lancaster and Zeiss as early leaders.

This is a small lens and weighs just 200g in brass.
Appears never to have made it to a Voigtländer Catalogue. Drowned by Collinear and Heliars perhaps - or up against three strong rivals in the WA protar and the long lasting Goerz Lynkeioskop series F (F15) and Hypergon (F22).

Tim Deming
21-Feb-2011, 11:39
Hi Steve,

Nice lens!

From Claus Prochnow's excellent book:

Weitwinkel-Euryscop Serie VIIa, 1:18

#2-#6 with iris, #7-10 with slot for Waterhouse stops.

Data from a 1901 catalog:

Focal Length: 419mm
Front lens diameter: 32mm
For format: 27x35 cm
orig price: 170 Mark

These appear to be the "second generation" euryscops, hence the "a" added to the series number. There were also Series 1a Petzvals and the popular Series IVa general purpose euryscops also made at this time.

cheers

Tim

Steven Tribe
21-Feb-2011, 12:19
Thanks - much appreciated Tim!
So the coverage/size numbers for the series VII/Series VIIa don't match!
A mere No. 8 is not the size the big bucks Super ULF format gentlemen are after so I will be able to use and enjoy it myself!
Is this the "Voigtländer Report 1" (ISBN: 9783000118678) by Prochnow?

Tim Deming
21-Feb-2011, 17:06
no problem,

It is Prochnow's "Voigtlander Report 3" -the last book of the series. Has probably the most detailed, and accurate (!), listing of all Voigtlander's lenses from sources I've seen. Very handy. The 3rd book also covers early cameras extensively, as well as shutters.

According to this book, and other sources, it seems Voigtlander had a hard time settling down on what they wanted their wide-angle euryscops to be. They advertised 3 different types of Series VII, and then followed later with the VIIa you have! Most of the series VII I've seen (as described in the previous thread your lens was first posted in) are the f12.5 type -so totally different beasts, at least in terms of coverage and aperture!

cheers

Tim

Tim Deming
21-Feb-2011, 17:10
also, just another note,

it seems all the ~1900ish Ia, IVa and VIIa lenses were redesigns. The Series 1a Petzval is f2.3, different from the earlier Series 1 f3.16 (or even earlier f3.7), the Series IVa euryscop was f7, different from the earlier IV which was f6. Not surprising the VIIa is different from the VII.

cheers

Tim