PDA

View Full Version : fluorescent light

tao
28-Apr-2000, 02:30
This is not really a lf question.I want to take some picture under fluorescent light(in the library) with daylight balanced color films. Do I need any filters?What should I use?Thanks .

Chad Jarvis
28-Apr-2000, 07:27
Yes. Magenta.

Paul Schilliger
28-Apr-2000, 08:09
Tao, your question is difficult to answer precisely for, unlike tungsten lightin g, fluorescent tubes come in a variety of colors. A precise metering would be required with a 3 colors meter such as the Gossen Colormaster 3F. But as a base, you could try with cold white tubes (color 840) a 81A and 15-25cc Magenta. With warm white tubes (color 830), add some blue : 80A + 80D + 15-25cc M. With daylight tubes, 15 to 25 cc M. With mixed daylight and warm fluo: 80A or 80B + 10M (you w ill have to find a compromise). Some tubes are better in the red than others, so less magenta shoul d be used. There was a technical sheet from Fuji with some indications for their films (certainly mor e precise than what I share). Perhaps is it downloadable from their website. If you can make a polaroid to check the effects, you can then correct the filter s set according to the results. Would the tube type be known to you, I would be happy to look for furth er indications. You can also simplify your work and shoot a Macbeth chart under local conditions. Then y ou can ask the lab to make the color balance for the prints to be right.

Robert A. Zeichner
28-Apr-2000, 08:22
Generally speaking, if working under what are referred to as "cool white" fluorescents, you can use an FL-D filter to balance for daylight film and an FL-B for use with Tungsten balanced films. There are too many variables to suggest a perfect filter without measuring the lights you are working under, but this will get you in the ballpark.

tim atherton
28-Apr-2000, 10:58
Or you can try using Fuji NPS print film (hope they haven't stopped making it...). I find it does an excellent job in these circumstances, especially if there is a bit of daylight mixed in just to make things more difficult.

I don't know if Fuji has changed the film since this short article was written, but it explains it better than I can.

http://www.viewcamera.com/FUJI.HTM

Tim A

Tony Novak-Clifford
29-Apr-2000, 14:46
Kodak has a publication titled: "Guide to Using Filters" which provides a great deal of precise information regarding cc filter combinations to correct just about every flourescent light source made. I have found this information to be accurate and priceless!

Ellis Vener
30-Apr-2000, 23:50
In general a cc30M filter will get you very close, but in depends on the floures cent tubes being used and the film.