PDA

View Full Version : Diaphragm scale for Rodenstock Sironar 360mm

cyberjunkie
18-Feb-2011, 15:01
Some time ago i had the chance to purchase two Sironar 360mm lens cells.
I decided to give them a try, because the price was good, and i had a spare Compur No.3.
I took for granted that the lens was a Sironar-N (i saw the engraving in the outside of the lens, so i thught it was a recent one). When i got the cells in my hand, i discovered that it was NOT a Sironar-N, just a convertible Sironar, the previous version. Lesson learned, older Rodenstock lenses don't have the engravings in the inner side, like the Schneiders!
Fortunately the lens has no signs of separations (as many of them do), the glass is perfect, and it fits, as was supposed to do, in a No.3 shutter.
Now i have to make a new diaphragm scale for the lens; if one of the forum members has the same lens, please post a picture of the scale. Better than via PM, so it will be available for future reference, just in case somebody will have the same problem in the future.
I found a used Brother printer, that prints on stickers (many colors and many sizes), so i have the chance to redo the scale, as close as possible to the original.
Thanks in advance

Just a small question that probably does not deserve a dedicate thread:
if you had to choose a cheap "standard" lens for 4x5" and 5x7", which one would you choose, a convertible Symmar or a Computar Symmetrigon?
Both can be found at reasonable prices, and the latter was (is?) available as new old stock (cells only, you had to provide the shutter).
I am considering to sell the convertible Symmars (150mm and 210mm), and replace them with two Symmetrigons, that don't have the convenience of the second focal, but are of recent design, multicoated, sold with lens shade, and weight a lot less than the Symmars. What's your opinion?

have fun

CJ

domaz
18-Feb-2011, 15:22
How is having a picture of the scale going to help you? There is no way you can figure out the distance between each "f number" from a picture of the scale. If however you have access to the physical orginial scale, even temporarily, then you could make a new scale. You don't need to make one using a computer- just cut out an adhesive mailing label so it fits the curve of the shutter and then use a fine point pencil or pen to write it out.

cyberjunkie
18-Feb-2011, 20:15
Ok. A 1:1 scan would be much better, but a conventional picture, with a ruler close to the lens, would be os some help.
A couple of nice souls provided me with scans and pictures of diffusion disks of a vintage Imagon: with that data i am going to make the missing disks for my WWII 300mm Imagon. It's not that difficult.
BTW, What i need the most is the aesthetical part, i have a SinarSix meter that can be easily used to fine tune the diaphragm scale, once checked with a known lens as reference.
Ofcourse you have to make a mock-up label with a white sticker and a pencil, then you can print the definitive label: the Brother printer can make transparent, metallized, white on black, black on white, etc. etc. labels.
Now i have a cheap (10 bucks) shutter tester, so i could print a speed chart for each shutter, and attach the labels to any lensboard.
For very complex works, as semicircular scales for triple convertible lenses, i am still trying to find thick plastic label sheets that can be printed on an inkjet printer with pigment-based inks.
Any advice would be appreciated.

have fun

CJ