PDA

View Full Version : LF film selection?

stradibarrius
18-Feb-2011, 14:31
I am new to LF. I have just acquired a CC-400 4x5. I shoot a lot of MF and was wondering if the film selection is the same with LF as MF. By that I mean if were going to select TriX fot shoot in MF is there any reason not to use TriX in LF shooting the same scene under same conditions etc.?

Roger Cole
18-Feb-2011, 14:53
I am new to LF. I have just acquired a CC-400 4x5. I shoot a lot of MF and was wondering if the film selection is the same with LF as MF. By that I mean if were going to select TriX fot shoot in MF is there any reason not to use TriX in LF shooting the same scene under same conditions etc.?

Note that there are two versions of Tri-X, the 35mm and 120 version which has an ISO speed of 400, and sheet film with a speed of 320. The two are pretty different animals.

A few years ago at least both varieties were available in 120. Now I only see the 400 listed in 120 so I guess the 320 was dropped during my absence from photography. Back then, the 320 version was called "Professional" and the 400 was not, but now the 120 ISO 400 is called Pro. I'd bet they're still the same films, and the 320 IS different in more than just speed.

This is the only situation I know of where the same name is used for rather different films in different formats. If you used, say, FP4+ in 120 you'd find pretty much the same film in 4x5.

The selection of film, particularly in color, is not nearly as wide in 4x5. In B&W the situation is a lot better.

stradibarrius
18-Feb-2011, 14:59
Your right and I guess Tri-x was a poor example. I was excited to see that Tri-X320 was available in 4x5! I like it a lot better than Tri-X400.
so any other film the film choice for a days shooting would be the same regardless of the format you used that day?

Roger Cole
18-Feb-2011, 15:15
Your right and I guess Tri-x was a poor example. I was excited to see that Tri-X320 was available in 4x5! I like it a lot better than Tri-X400.
so any other film the film choice for a days shooting would be the same regardless of the format you used that day?

Others who are shooting regularly can chime in, but I believe that's the case. I know I've shot a fair amount of TMY in both 35mm and 4x5 and they seemed the same film.

Selection criteria may be different, though. Because you'll probably enlarge a lot less from 4x5, grain may not be as much of a consideration. You'd think since you normally shoot off a tripod that speed wouldn't be either, but you also normally will be shooting at smaller apertures so it can be, depending on the subject.

Gary Beasley
18-Feb-2011, 15:19
Welcome to the LF forum Barry!

Roger Cole
18-Feb-2011, 15:27
Oh yeah, what Gary said!

Also I notice you're right down the road from me! I fly down to the Monroe airport to practice takeoffs and landings pretty often (or do so when it's not winter and I'm flying more.)

And Gary is right over in Roswell - a regular metro ATL meetup here!

stradibarrius
18-Feb-2011, 16:44
Yeah Gary and I have got together a time or two. I hope Gary and I an get together and let him teach me something.
I would love to get an ATL group!!!

Gary Beasley
18-Feb-2011, 19:05
Let's make it happen.

Roger Cole
19-Feb-2011, 18:52
I sent you both a PM. Anyone else in the area interested please chime in or PM us.

Professional
21-Feb-2011, 11:34
I chose Acros 100 and Ilford HP5+ to be my B&W films in LF, but i am going to buy more another B&W films which are cheap [50 sheets for low price] and use them all.
I was thinking about Tri-X as well, but i found that in 120 MF i didn't favorite Tri-X over other films, so i will not make it as a must film for LF.

stradibarrius
21-Feb-2011, 14:47
Tri-X 320 is still available in 4x5. I love the 320 but since Kodak doesn't seem to want to continue to make products for us I am changing over to Ilford. FP4 and HP5. They are both great films.