PDA

View Full Version : RB series D focal plane shutter

Jim C.
18-Feb-2011, 09:56
Dumb ! :o

In my zeal to play with my newly acquired Series D, I disregarded the fact the
the focal plane shutter was a little toasty, it had a a lot of ripples in it and touching it
lightly you could hear that it's crispy. So after firing the shutter something went awry,
I heard a sound similar to a window shade being let go ( ziiipppp..flappity flap )
I probaly had the spring tension too high for the age of the shutter. :(

I am going to assume that the shutter curtain let loose off the lower roller and I didn't
fubar the curtain it self. How hard is it to re attach the curtain ?

Ash
18-Feb-2011, 10:10
Jim, try look up if anyone else has pulled one apart, but if you can release all the tension you should be able to remove the back, pull out the rollers and replace the curtain.

Once you replace the curtain it shouldn't be too much to tension the springs and get it firing again.

EdWorkman
18-Feb-2011, 11:16
Check the Graflex.org site for lots of help

IanG
18-Feb-2011, 11:40
Tomosy's book on camera repair tells you how to repair these shutters, you can read the relevant section on Google books, and there's a PDf version floating around as well.

It's not as difficult as you think to repair these shutters.

Ian

Jim C.
18-Feb-2011, 21:25
thanks for the replies, curiosity got the best of me and started poking around inside
seems I tore the curtain at the narrowest slit when I tripped the shutter.. :(

I take a look at the Tomosy book

Sirius Glass
19-Feb-2011, 14:49
Bert at graflex.org gave me step by step instructions via email to walk me through rebuilding the focal plane shutter. He is a retired Graflex/Graphics repairman.

Steve