PDA

View Full Version : Rollei Heidosmat 150/2.8

Ash
17-Feb-2011, 06:01
Thanks to Eddie I've now got a working shutter behind this beast of a lens.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/lfpf/IMG00378-20110217-1252copy.jpg

I ripped this off a 6x6 projector, took a shot with a darkslide-as-shutter, and it definitely produced a nice image on 5x4. Now it's in a shutter I should be able to produce proper photos with it.

Need to find a Copal #3s flange/retaining ring (I missed one here a week or so ago). Probably try to fix it to a lensboard this evening.

The shutter is so big my Korona 5x4 won't close with it on! The diameter fouls the focus track folding upward. I hadn't thought of that....

stillphotog
2-Oct-2011, 19:22
I'd love to see a image taken with this! I have one sitting here as well, and I'm figuring out what to do with it.

Ash
3-Oct-2011, 01:16
There should be a couple that I posted a couple in the portraits threads way back. Not sure where the copies are on my computer or I'd repost. I eventually replaced the front element to make it cover 5x7 instead of 5x4, albeit with some swirls.

williaty
7-Dec-2016, 20:44
I'm trying to do this myself. How are you attaching the back of the Heidosmat to the front of the Copal #3?

EdSawyer
8-Dec-2016, 07:19
I have a brand-new Copal 3S retaining ring with spacer, if that would be useful for you. I bought it for a project that didn't end up working out. Feel free to PM.

Toulcaz31
11-May-2017, 14:06
Williaty, how did you mount your lens in the end? Does the Copal #3 shutter provide aperture also to the lens? thanks

williaty
11-May-2017, 14:35
Williaty, how did you mount your lens in the end? Does the Copal #3 shutter provide aperture also to the lens? thanks

I ended up mounting it in a Copal 3 as I anticipated. There's no aperture control with this setup because the aperture is fully behind the lens. If you unscrew the Heidosmat from the barrel it comes in, the rear element is quite small and fits deeply inside the Copal 3. I ended up putting the barrel (with lens removed) on my wood lathe, then holding a hacksaw against the barrel while the lathe spun to cut the barrel off to the correct length. I then used hot glue and black silicone caulking to glue the barrel to the face of the Copal 3. I let it cure for a few days and then screwed the lens into place in the barrel. So far, it seems to work just fine. I need to come up with a way to hold ND filters to the front of the lens, though.

Be aware that the 150mm f/2.8 Heidosmat must be a telephoto design. The focal plane is MUCH less than 150mm from the back of the lens. Couple this with the fact that the lens is fully in front of the shutter and you have nearly no bellows draw at all. I had to get a bag bellows for my camera to focus and allow movements.

Toulcaz31
11-May-2017, 17:42
Thanks. It looks like mounting it on a Speed Graphic might be an easier way to go. I noticed CatLABS sold one of these lenses recently mounted on such camera: http://www.catlabs.info/product/graflex-speed-graphic-with-150mm-f2-8-lens

imagecom
11-Jun-2018, 04:29
Hello,
I tried to unscrew the lens from the silver barrel by twisting the front that contains the lens, but it just won't give. is there any other way?
Thank you in advance.

williaty
11-Jun-2018, 08:06
Hello,
I tried to unscrew the lend from the silver barrel fy twisting the front that contains the lens, but it just won't give. is there any other way?
Thank you in advance.

Mine was VERY stuck. Someone had put a small amount of thread locking glue on it. I had to use strap wrenches and turn way, way harder than I expected to get it to finally break free. Yours is probably stuck the same way and you just need to apply more force.

EdSawyer
11-Jun-2018, 10:41
try a heat gun too.