PDA

View Full Version : Whats the story on 4x5 Color Transparency Film?

Gene McCluney
15-Feb-2011, 18:12
Tried to order today for my business. It seems Kodaks ONE emulsion E100G is not available. The B&H website says temporarily unavailable. Chatting with a B&H telephone rep, he says "Kodak is thinking about it..not sure if they are going to produce more, or not".

Several of the largest vendors of Fuji (B&H and Adorama) do not have any 4x5 Fuji Provia RDPIII in stock.

Found 20 20sheet boxes at Unique and ordered it. They said it was discontinued.

Called Fuji USA, and their customer service rep said all 4x5 transparency film was discontinued, however an email inquiry to them got a reply that 20 sheet boxes were available.

Called Freestyle and they have plenty, and said if it were announced as discontinued they would know and would flag their inventory data, therefore they could tell me. They said the 10 sheet boxes were discontinued some time back, but the 20 sheets were still available on several Fuji transparency emulsions.

Such conflicting information makes me crazy.

Brian C. Miller
15-Feb-2011, 18:28
Call Glazer's Camera (http://www.glazerscamera.com/) and see what they have in stock. They had a good selection last time I was in there.

Oh, I see, you got it from Freestyle. NP.

Such is life during the twilight of film.

Gene McCluney
15-Feb-2011, 18:34
Call Glazer's Camera (http://www.glazerscamera.com/) and see what they have in stock. They had a good selection last time I was in there.

Oh, I've got 30 boxes coming (from 2 vendors) that's 600 sheets, so that will last for a while, but the point is, that I derive a large part of the profit from my rather limited business from the production of photographs on 4x5 color transparency film, and I'm stressed that I won't be able to do it in the near future. I'm not BIG enough to justify the investment in a $25,000 or more digital back for my view camera,.and I need the movements of view camera for product groupings, and I'm too far away from major metropolitan areas to rent a digital back on a moments notice. I do shoot digital, but my limit right now is 14 mpx in FF 35mm format.

And, possibly, unique to ME and MY operation, I would cut my revenue in half, if I couldn't produce the film product along with the digital.

Brian C. Miller
15-Feb-2011, 18:54
So the product for the customer includes 4x5 transparencies?

I was just wondering if you could substitute C41, or three RGB b/w negatives.

(Sheeez, if Kodak and Fuji really dropped 4x5 E6, ... I don't like to think about it.)

John NYC
15-Feb-2011, 19:03
There was panic last year on this same topic...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=62895

Then again...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=628812&postcount=66

Gene McCluney
15-Feb-2011, 19:12
So the product for the customer includes 4x5 transparencies?

I was just wondering if you could substitute C41, or three RGB b/w negatives.

(Sheeez, if Kodak and Fuji really dropped 4x5 E6, ... I don't like to think about it.)

If you go to Kodaks online website, they do not show ANY transparency film for either amateur or professional markets.

The Fuji information is conflicting.

Yes, the customer prefers this as they make products that do not change often, and they have a library of 4x5 images shot by me over the last 30 years, and they can have them scanned at whatever resolution they need, from wall-covering poster size, to small catalog images. If I shot digital only, they would have to be re-shot if size requirements changed. It is the immediate quality viewability of 4x5 that the customer likes. Negatives and b/w separations would not be acceptable to them.

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2011, 19:16
If you go to Kodaks online website, they do not show ANY transparency film for either amateur or professional markets.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/colorReversalIndex.jhtml?pq-path=1229

The Fuji information is clear for the home market - the products exist. What's difficult to get a clear read on is which, if any, of the products are being imported into the US.

Gene McCluney
15-Feb-2011, 19:20
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/colorReversalIndex.jhtml?pq-path=1229

The Fuji information is clear for the home market - the products exist. What's difficult to get a clear read on is which, if any, of the products are being imported into the US.

I see the Kodak webpage. Try to click thru to the "shop now" page, and it comes up blank. And, they only show images on the page you referenced to roll film.

Drew Wiley
15-Feb-2011, 19:25
As long as I can remember, B&H has temporarily run out of a favorite film, just like
every other supplier I use. That's why I always keep a spare box or two in the freezer. A friend who recently visited their retail store complained how little actual
film they now carry; in other words, they don't seem to stock signifiant reserves
any more. We don't need any more unsubstantiated rumors.

Drew Wiley
15-Feb-2011, 19:29
On the Kodak site you have to go to "All other products" - this transfers you to a
massive section for photolab, pro photography, chemical products, tech sheets, and
yes, sheet film. For some reason, I can't even get that popup here on my Mac; but
my PC at work retrieves it. The entry level website is clearly geared to amateur
consumers, basically as an advertising site. But all the other stuff is there if you
know where to look.

rguinter
15-Feb-2011, 19:42
...Yes, the customer prefers this as they make products that do not change often, and they have a library of 4x5 images shot by me over the last 30 years, and they can have them scanned at whatever resolution they need, from wall-covering poster size, to small catalog images...

I've heard the old axiom many hundreds of times over the years, "the only thing constant is change." Heard it so often while working at AT&T that I got totally sick of hearing it.

But in almost every realm of my life these days I'm finding it to be a common denominator.

I love E-6 films too and have done about 80% of my hobby photos on transparencies over the years. But now I find myself resorting more and more to C-41 for my color work, not for lack of film in the freezer, but for lack of local E-6 processing. I can get C-41 120 roll film processed down the block and 4x5 a few miles away. But nobody nearby is doing any E-6.

I really doubt that transparency films are (at this very moment) being totally phased out. And I think you will be able to stock up and restock for the foreseeable future.

But it may be time to have that discussion with your client that things are changing beyond your control and perhaps they can live with 4x5 color negatives.

My simple opinion.

Bob G.

Drew Wiley
15-Feb-2011, 19:47
Negs just aren't the same thing. They have a different pallette, and of course, require more experience to judge on a lightbox (or make a pretty weird slide show).
I find myself shooting both, just in case.

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2011, 19:54
I see the Kodak webpage. Try to click thru to the "shop now" page, and it comes up blank. And, they only show images on the page you referenced to roll film.

The Kodak webshop has never carried the full Kodak film line.

Gene McCluney
15-Feb-2011, 21:40
The Kodak webshop has never carried the full Kodak film line.

Well, they're not carrying ANY transparency film. Freestyle says 4x5 is discontinued, B&H says "Kodak is thinking about it..no stock available even at Kodak", and Adorama doesn't list it.

Oren Grad
16-Feb-2011, 00:29
Well, they're not carrying ANY transparency film. Freestyle says 4x5 is discontinued, B&H says "Kodak is thinking about it..no stock available even at Kodak", and Adorama doesn't list it.

Gene, I apologize for sounding as though I was trying to dismiss your concerns. To be clear, I think that E-6 films are indeed the most vulnerable in Kodak's lineup now. It's possible that they've coated their last run of E-6 sheet film, but because of the poor communication we likely won't know for sure until they make a formal announcement that the product is discontinued.

So yes, if you're a serious E-6 user there is something to worry about.

rguinter
16-Feb-2011, 10:22
Negs just aren't the same thing. They have a different pallette, and of course, require more experience to judge on a lightbox (or make a pretty weird slide show).
I find myself shooting both, just in case.

Drew: I can't agree more with that.

I almost never used color negative films until about 3-years ago when I got a film scanner.

Even now I have little confidence in my ability to judge what will print from my color negatives when I have them on the lightbox.

But I recently began using Ektar 100 and Portra VC in 4x5 alongside my favorite transparency films and I've been very pleased with the results. And being able to get them processed locally without having to turn my kitchen into a darkroom lab is a great benefit.

I only hope it lasts.

Bob G.

cheyda
16-Feb-2011, 15:05
I've just sent an email to Kodak asking that they please continue making E6 film(s) in large format sizes. Those of you who use/appreciate these products might consider doing the same. A flurry of interest from photographers can't hurt.

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/ask_egain#rn:session%23

lenser
16-Feb-2011, 15:23
Great idea, Cheyda.

Mine is on the way including a plea to go back to 50 sheet availability as well. Lets all flood this Kodak site with our concerns and wishes.

Tim

Drew Wiley
16-Feb-2011, 17:17
I suppose it's possible that Fuji will more or less throw in the towel when it comes to
pro color neg films, and Kodak will surrender to Fuji when it comes to chromes. That
would annoy me because Fuji's mid contrast tranny sheet film is still on acetate base,
which isn't dimensionally stable, and the other two contrasts (Astia and Velvia) are
hard to get in 8x10. But as far as Kodak's reliability in announcing discontinuances,
besides the recent 8x10 TMax debacle, back when then announced they were discontinuing Tech Pan, the last run had already transpired several years prior, and
they were simply starting to exhaust their inventory. At this point in time, I wonder
how much of this is simply panic decision making. I've spent far too much on film already this year stuffing the freezer. Thawed my last box of 8x10 E100G for Spring
shooting, but will also carry 8x10 neg film.

Gary Tarbert
17-Feb-2011, 06:14
I Must admit i am concerned just started shooting a bit more LF again ,and the amount of E6 film out there compared to even a couple of years ago is far less!!
When you constantly read out of stock and you know it's not because they just sell too much of it , you do feel the end is nigh, in the wonderful Don Mclean song "American pie"he lamented "the day the the music died"to me the day you can no longer buy these wonderful films will be that day . Cheers gary

Gene McCluney
18-Feb-2011, 10:17
I Must admit i am concerned just started shooting a bit more LF again ,and the amount of E6 film out there compared to even a couple of years ago is far less!!
When you constantly read out of stock and you know it's not because they just sell too much of it , you do feel the end is nigh, in the wonderful Don Mclean song "American pie"he lamented "the day the the music died"to me the day you can no longer buy these wonderful films will be that day . Cheers gary

Yes, at the very MOST, there are 4 different types (in 4x5) split between 2 manufacturers.

Drew Wiley
18-Feb-2011, 11:38
Slightly more variety in Japan, but who can afford to privately import it?

Drew Wiley
18-Feb-2011, 13:00
Badger Graphic has E100G back in stock in both 4x5 and 8x10. Just ordered some.

Bill_1856
18-Feb-2011, 15:06
Do "they" still make a film which is printed with a color negative to make a transparency?

John NYC
18-Feb-2011, 19:58
Badger Graphic has E100G back in stock in both 4x5 and 8x10. Just ordered some.

Yahoo!!!! :-) :-)

pdmoylan
22-Feb-2011, 20:10
Thanks for the heads up. And I just lucked out with a supply of Velvia 50 4x5 which will get me through the summer. Things are looking up, however temporary.

Tim Gray
22-Feb-2011, 20:31
According to Kodak, E100G is still being made in 4x5.

Gene McCluney
23-Feb-2011, 12:57
I just received 600 sheets of 4x5 Fuji Provia which should last me 3 to 6 months.

Mark Sampson
23-Feb-2011, 15:41
Bill1856, Kodak discontinued Vericolor Print Film 4111 (which was used to make color film positives from color negatives) about five years ago. And even frozen, the old stock deteriorates. Maybe you were thinking of a different 'they'?

Drew Wiley
23-Feb-2011, 16:02
I don't know what Bill was asking. In any event, both internegative and positive duplicating films have been discontinued by both Kodak and Fuji. I have experimented
with alternatives, sometimes with results inferior to the original dedicated products, sometimes with much better results.