PDA

View Full Version : something moving in lens

Raven Garrow
7-Apr-2000, 20:38
Just purchased a Schneider APO Symmar S,150mm. I see that when I cock the shutte r, and then change the shutter speed, when I turn the shutter dial, I here the s hutter make a little noise. If the shutter is not cocked, it doesn't do it. Shou ld I not change the shutter speed after I cock the shutter? Did I do any damage the this lens? Its used, so no directions.

William Marderness
7-Apr-2000, 22:09
Changing the shutter speed when the shutter is cocked is bad for the shutter. I read this in the instructions to one of the new lenses I bought.

Raven Garrow
7-Apr-2000, 23:57
I forgot to also state that when I hold the lens and move my wrist back and forth, it feels like something is moving in the lens. I assume this is the shutter, what else can move? Is this a sign that somethings wrong, or its normal? This lens is used, but in A-1 mint condition. I'd say I moved the shutter speed about 5 or6 times with the shutter cocked, playing around with it till I get it put on the lens board. Any damage?? I could hear the friction against the shutter. Arggg!! Green around the gills!

doc
8-Apr-2000, 00:56
Dear Raven, is that a Copal 0? If so, I think your noise is normal. As far as the speed change, the guy who sold me mine told me at the point of sale not to change the speeds after I cocked it, and then he said, but it probably doesn't matter, you can change it if you want. Hope this helps. I really don't know anything about shutters, but with the above noises, mine works OK. David

Raven Garrow
8-Apr-2000, 08:39
Thanks. I noticed that every speed is fine, but 1/60 seems to make noise. I think I might just get it checked to see that this particular speed is acuarate.

David R Munson
9-Apr-2000, 00:29
My Copal 0 makes the same sounds and I've never really payed much attention to it. Why? Because I've heard several different shutters, including the one in my old Minolta SRT-100, making the same noises. I'm thinking it has to do with the mechanics that drive the shutter and the internal adjustments that have to be made to properly execute a higher or lower shutter speed. Just a thought...