PDA

View Full Version : Replacement ground glass screen.

Raglansurf
14-Feb-2011, 13:31
Hello Folks,

I'm just taking my first steps in LF photography and have recently acquired a Toyo 4x5camera.

I have already learnt my first lesson the hard way, ie do not tighten the clamps that hold the ground glass screen too tight!

So having learnt this lesson, where can I buy a replacement in the UK?

I have a had a bit of a search and most suppliers seem to be over the pond in the US.

Thanks for the help.

Ash
14-Feb-2011, 13:38
Check on evilbay, not sure though. I've always got mine from abroad.

tom thomas
14-Feb-2011, 13:48
Would a 4X5 ground glass for a Graflex 4X5 be adaptable to your Toyo? IE, trim the corners? If so, check out this listing 330528284634 at E=B*y. Says new old stock. You won't believe it, but I cracked my Speed Graphic 4X5 GG about the time you cracked/broke yours this weekend. The holder just fell off the back of the camera when I was showing it to someone. Small world. Luckily I found this seller who apparently has more than one at what seems to be a reasonable price. Buy it now, not a bid item.

As you've probably seen, there are several offerings for Toyo GG in your old British colony, Hong Kong. The US is much closer and probably more reliable shipping to you.

For Deardorf LF camera fans, the seller also has a treasure trove of Deardorf hardware from a Deardorf repair center in Chicago. I'm not associated, just thought I've read about Deardorf users hunting nuts, bolts, frame parts, etc.

Tom

Ari
14-Feb-2011, 14:03
I've bought a few from Steve Hopf, and a few from Chinese suppliers; both were excellent, no problems.
One Chinese supplier is now selling a GG/fresnel combo for around $80.

tom thomas
14-Feb-2011, 14:07
I didn't mention but the 4X5 Graflex GG is $17.50 Buy It Now. Cheap enough to try trimming it if necessary.

Tom

Raglansurf
14-Feb-2011, 14:52
Thanks for the help and info folks.

Tom, I have just ordered one from the E8ay seller. As you say at $17.50 it's worth a punt. Hopefully it won't need too much trimming.

jbog
14-Feb-2011, 19:19
Try this company. I've bought both sizes & have been very happy.

Surplus Shed has Eastman Kodak ground glass. The 8x10 is $12.00 & the 4x5 is $3.00 (or 10 for $25.00). I bought 1 of each & shipping was only $5.00. I don't think you can do any better than Eastman Kodak glass.

Links >>>

8x10 >>> http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3965.html

4x5 >>> http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1034.html

>>> Jim

John Koehrer
14-Feb-2011, 19:59
If the GG is slightly oversize just use a 320 grit silicon carbide wet or dry sandpaper,
I've used it wet and it's much easier than trying to cut a sliver of glass from an edge.

picker77
16-Feb-2011, 08:45
Try this company. I've bought both sizes & have been very happy.

Surplus Shed has Eastman Kodak ground glass. The 8x10 is $12.00 & the 4x5 is $3.00 (or 10 for $25.00). I bought 1 of each & shipping was only $5.00. I don't think you can do any better than Eastman Kodak glass.

Links >>>

8x10 >>> http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3965.html

4x5 >>> http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l1034.html

>>> Jim

I bought three of the the Surplus Shed Kodak 4x5 GG's, received them a couple of days ago. As expected for Kodak parts they are pristine and beautifully made, but keep in mind they are exactly 4x5. They will need a minor trim on one side to fit my Crown Graphic. That's why I bought three of them, in case I screw the pooch once or twice while trimming. At $3.00 each they are a STEAL. The 8x10 would really be a steal, I almost bought one of those to cut up instead, maybe I should have.

jbog
16-Feb-2011, 09:44
I bought a 8x10 & a 4x5 from them. The 4x5 bought as a spare. The 8x10 I needed for a Calumet 8x10. It needed to be ground down in one place to fit. I took it to a local glass company that does all sorts of custom stuff. They ground down the glass to fit & charged me $1.00.

>>> Jim

tom thomas
17-Feb-2011, 16:02
I'm considering changing the fresnel lens when I change the ground glass (hopefully it will arrive tomorrow) and I can't seem to locate one for the Graflex 45 Speed on E* or elsewhere (at least for a reasonable price.)

Searching E*B**, I found full page fresnel magnifiers for reasonable prices. Typically 2X. Made of acrylic. Has anyone tried to make a fresnel out of one of these magnifier sheets? If so, does the 2X magnification really hurt much (realizing that the image wont' be the same size as what winds up on the negative later.)

I did notice that most of the fresnel magnifiers are offered by Hong Kong sellers. Obviously I would prefer to buy one locally in Wallyworld or at an office supply store. I did find a Bausch & Lomb Magna-Page™ Full-Page Magnifier at Staples for about $8. I wonder if this would work OK. If so, I'll try to cut one for a 23 Crown thats a bit dim.

These magnifier sheets are very thin and flexible so they shouldn't throw off the focal length too far. I hope. Or will they?

Tom

tom thomas
19-Feb-2011, 15:21
I received my Graflex 4X5 Ground Glass yesterday and installed it today. Fits perfect in my 45 Speed Graphic. This was offered on E-B* by a Deardorf seller who said he though it was for Graflex. Sure is. I"m glad I got a replacement part rather than panicking while trying to trip 1/4 inch off both directions of the 4X5 glass from Surplusshed.com. I might order a couple of the 4X5's though for my 23 Model Graflex's as there is enough to cut and break.

For Raglansurf if you are watching and haven't received yours yet in London. I measured the glass for you so you will know in advance if you have to cut it or if it will really fit your Toyo well. The glass is (in US inches) 3 15/16 X 4 13/16 inches.

Mine arrived perfect, new NOS stock as described, no scratches, etc. Just a few small chips missing on edges from the glass cutter blade. It sure is nice to have a bright, clean image again in the viewfinder. Barring the fresnel which has a scratch in upper corner that is distracting. I'm working on a solution for that.

Tom

mbenyPL
16-Apr-2013, 02:08
I have a problem with replacing focusing screen in my Ikeda Anba. I want to buy: [http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ground-Glass-For-Sinar-Linhof-Toyo-Horseman-Wista-Cambo-4x5-/130889467764?ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123].

Will it fit to my camera?
The seller said that the various screens fit different models and can not be replaced without thinking. They can be difficult to focus or sharpness. Is this true? He said something that "inclination angle" may be different between models.
Can you advise me what should I buy, or from which camera model will fit into my Ikeda Anba.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry for my english :)