PDA

View Full Version : Demand for E-6 processing?

boswald
13-Feb-2011, 07:50
I have a shot at getting a dip-and-dunk setup for up to 8x10. Years ago I helped build
a lab in which we had a huge motorised dip tank. We even offered color shifts in E-6.
With test strips,Ph, and specific gravity controls, it is a very trustworthy process, but
it is a lot of work. It is also efficient and easy to control waste products if you are using
it enough to replenish, and run it often enough.
So- I need to know how many people, and how many films are out there looking for
this service, before I can even calculate costs. I would not do this if I could not be competitive with the other services out there, or if there was no demand for 'remedial'
services, as that sort of thing is what keeps it interesting.
I am in New England, one-day shipping works +95% of the time for emergencies,
priority is 2-3 days to conus, and there are nearby terminals for FedUps.
Well, are you shooting less E-6 than you'd like because of the hassles? Speak up.

David Oswald

mrkauffman
13-Feb-2011, 08:05
yes, processing is expensive for 120 at my local lab. they are the only ones that process e-6. its $6.95 for a roll of 120 and honestly, ive stopped shooting as much as id like because b&w is cheaper to buy the film and cheaper to develop since i do it myself.

John NYC
13-Feb-2011, 09:08
There are still lots of labs in New York City that process E6. Prices range (for 8x10 sheet film) from $6 to $8 or so. If local processing goes away, I'd look into mailing things off. What you need to be able to compete with are the labs that already do mail-in processing. I can't name them, but I know they are out there, and maybe you can find a few and get their prices off the internet for comparison.

Bob Kerner
13-Feb-2011, 09:10
I've been using Praus for mail away processing. Here's their E-6 page:
http://4photolab.com/Pages/price_film.html#anchor%20e6

cdholden
13-Feb-2011, 09:35
http://www.samys805.com/e6-process-mail-order/

rguinter
14-Feb-2011, 10:06
...Well, are you shooting less E-6 than you'd like because of the hassles? Speak up.

David Oswald

Yes I've been shooting less E-6 and more C-41 because of processing availability.

But I have a freezer full of standard and some unique E-6 120 films that I will continue shooting and could use your services. I do about 100-rolls E-6 120 and perhaps 100-200 sheets 4x5-inch per year. Just a hobby for me but E-6 becoming quite a hassle and I'm looking for a solution.

Bob G.

mrkauffman
14-Feb-2011, 10:30
It's a shame because IMO c41 is not a direct replacement for E-6. just because one is negative and one is a positive doesnt mean they are direct inverses of eachother.

Please keep us updated, if this comes through i see more e-6 in my future.

Brian C. Miller
14-Feb-2011, 15:28
There isn't any commercial LF C-41 or E-6 processing in Washington state. Everything has to be sent out. There are some labs out there which do 8x10 mail order, about $10 per sheet or so.

Daniel Stone
14-Feb-2011, 15:37
There isn't any commercial LF C-41 or E-6 processing in Washington state. Everything has to be sent out. There are some labs out there which do 8x10 mail order, about $10 per sheet or so.

Samys(805) does 8x10 E-6 and C-41 for $5/sheet.

Praus in NY does it for like $5.75/sheet too. They're "q-lab" certified(Samy's isn't cause they use Fuji chems). Both offer great service, and super fast turnaround.

and they BOTH take mail-order :).

-Dan

coops
14-Feb-2011, 15:44
These guys have always done a good job for me.

http://www.showprints.com/color.html