PDA

View Full Version : The Rain Returns to California!

tgtaylor
12-Feb-2011, 20:08
Finally. I'm sick of late spring temperatures and cobalt blue skies!

It's supposed to rain all of next week here and I'm lovin' it! This translates to snow and winter storms for you folks back east but this is the best time of the year for photography so get out with your camera and get something worth the paper to print it!

Thomas

Vaughn
12-Feb-2011, 20:40
I am looking forward to the rain also -- though I want to commute to work on my bicycle next week. Monday might be a little tough -- rain and 30+ MPH winds from the south scheduled. We do need the rain. A wet fall that put us ahead of the curve, but we have not really have had a really good storm for awhile.

Just got back from a couple weeks in the CA deserts. A few clouds here and there, some wind to deal with, but generally pretty nice.

Vaughn

Brian Vuillemenot
12-Feb-2011, 21:14
Any ideas on how the California spring wildflower season will be? I guess it depends on how much more rain we get over the next few weeks.

Jan Pedersen
12-Feb-2011, 21:37
I think late February early March are the critical months for rain in the Desert.
Back in 96 or 97 when the last wild flower season really hit a high the rain came in around late February.
Locals in the Desert had never seen anything like it and it was quite spectactular.

Preston
12-Feb-2011, 21:48
Up here in the foothills, we're definitely ready for rain! I'm looking forward to it! Also, the snowpack could use a really good boost.

This from NWS Sacramento forecast discussion:

"WE DO BELIEVE THAT SNOWFALL WILL BE OBSERVED DOWN INTO THE FOOTHILLS...THOUGH EXACT SNOW LEVELS REMAIN UNCERTAIN. STORM TOTAL...THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SIERRA WILL LIKELY SEE A FEW FEET OF NEW SNOW AND PERHAPS 1-2 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH THE VALLEY"

--P

Sorry about the all caps--that's the way it copied.

tgtaylor
19-Feb-2011, 19:44
Man did it return and with a vengeance! We had 6 inches of snow fall on Mt. Hamilton (in San Jose) and the snow level in the bay area is forecast to fall to the 2000 foot level (and even lower!) this evening. And if that isn't enough, there is a possibility of snow at sea level in a storm due to roll in next Friday! If it does that will be only the second time that i have seen it that low. The last time was many years ago in Corpus Christie, Texas, and I remember standing on the beach in absolute amazement watching heavy snow falling into the Gulf of Mexico.

Tonight I was planning on watching the Chinese New Years parade in downtown San Francisco as I almost always do. I usually take my Pentax 645N with an AF400 flash and photograph the parade. But it's cold and raining downtown so instead I've decided to stay at home this year and work on a B&W print portfolio consisting of B&W urban images shot at night. Here's a quick preview:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5172/5449894151_d367c4cd8e_m.jpg

That's the Queen Mary moored at Pier 23 - a popular waterfront watering hole. I was going to toss it but the more I looked at it in the wash, the more I liked it. I have a bunch of B&W negatives of dark Chinatown alleys, neon nightclub lights, deserted and foggy piers, etc. It's going to be fun bringing them to life!

Stay warm and dry,

Thomas

Preston
19-Feb-2011, 20:31
The storm hit hard, here in the Foothills. Over 15,000 without power in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties, lots of traffic problems, down ees, etc.. We had several inches of snow in Columbia, and Twain Harte (4000') had in excess of two feet. I imagine the Sierra crest received several feet of new snow.

Be well everyone,

--P

Vaughn
19-Feb-2011, 20:50
Just normal conditions here in NW CA -- rain. Some snow in the local hills.

Jim Galli
19-Feb-2011, 20:55
Snow in Tonopah. Plenty of firewood. Nothin' much to do (sell some stuff cuz I'm broke). Bring it!

Sideshow Bob
19-Feb-2011, 21:00
I'm headed for Yosemite tomorrow!! Yaaaaa!!!
Gale

Drew Wiley
20-Feb-2011, 14:58
It even snowed on the ridges here on the coast, and on Mt Tam last nite. The last three weekends I was running around those ridges with my view camera in a T-shirt.
I imagine the bloom in the Sierra will be a bit late but magnificent when it does
arrive. March is just around the corner. Keep us posted Preston.

Preston
21-Feb-2011, 13:31
NWS is calling for very low snow levels next weekend. The models are still fluctuating as to the amount of precipitation, so we'll see what happens.

I agree with Drew that spring will be late in the Sierra this year, but it should be really nice when it happens!

It's still quite a mess up here, but is getting better. Still a few thousand without power and there have been downed trees on roadways, etc..

Fun in the California sun! :-)

--P

tgtaylor
22-Mar-2011, 23:44
Man, did the rain ever return! It's rained 17 out of the past 22 days and it's still raining. A winter storm coming ashore as I type this and another one is due in early Thursday and another one again on Saturday - each bringing a couple inches of rain with them. And this is an La Nina year?

Until just a few minutes ago I was planning on driving up to Yosemite to shoot this B&W image of Bridalveil Falls that I have "previsualized" hanging on the wall above the sofa. But on the late news it was reported that the park has been evacuated and all roads leading into the park are closed. Yosemite is expected to remain closed for at least 6 days.

This will be an interesting year in the back-country. Last year at this time the snow level at Monitor Pass was 39 inches. This year it's 79 inches and the current base depth at Badger Pass is almost 100 inches with several more feet on the way thru the weekend. Thru-hikers on the PCT usually start from Campos in April and all this rain will certainly make the beginning of the trek easier in the sense that water should be more plentiful along the southern portion of the trail. But unless there is a quick melt north, it's going to be hard going up here and if there is a quick melt, then stream crossing will be hazardous. Either way, it's going to be a challenging year on the PCT.

I've been thinking about hiking out to East and Reflection Lake via Kearsarge Pass. I wonder if it is possible to cross Bubbs Creek from the south - towards Forester Pass where it is easier - and hike back up its western side to get to East Lake?

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Mar-2011, 06:10
I've been monitoring the news and weather reports for Yosemite. I have a cabin reserved for Friday and Saturday at Curry Village. Looks like I'm going to loose out. I wish I would have been in the valley before the storm hit. Last I heard they were without power only emergency power in the valley.

Sirius Glass
23-Mar-2011, 17:29
Finally. I'm sick of late spring temperatures and cobalt blue skies!

It's supposed to rain all of next week here and I'm lovin' it! This translates to snow and winter storms for you folks back east but this is the best time of the year for photography so get out with your camera and get something worth the paper to print it!

Thomas

I know what you mean. Blue skies, no clouds, bright sun every day, day after day after day! :eek: S-o-o-o-o boring! :eek: It is a tough life, but someone has to live it. :rolleyes:

Steve

Preston
23-Mar-2011, 18:45
Jim,

You are correct. All three roads into Yosemite are currently closed. People are being evacuated. Up to three feet of new snow is expected between tonight, 3/23, and Friday morning.

There has been no estimate as to when power will be restored, and roads opened.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I would imagine The Valley is looking pristine, and is very quiet. I wouldn't mind getting over there myself.

--P

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Mar-2011, 18:54
Preston I just checked the road conditions in Yosemite. This was for Thursday. At 7 AM they will open the park for day use only. So with this storm coming in who knows? I have to work in Bakersfield tomorrow and I'm going to get a cheap motel in Merced and see what happens tomorrow night and Friday morning.

Vaughn
23-Mar-2011, 19:32
Good luck, Jim. Too bad my friend no longer lives in Yosemite Valley. They generally do not move out the residents.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Mar-2011, 19:44
Well, who knows what to expect? I'll let everyone know if and when I get back.

Preston
23-Mar-2011, 19:48
I hope it works out for you Jim. The conditions should be incrdeible.

--P

Roger Thoms
24-Mar-2011, 11:52
Wow, speaking of rain we are getting hammered here in San Mateo.

And Jim good luck with your trip to Yosemite, should be spectacular if you are able to make it up there.

Roger

ROL
24-Mar-2011, 17:38
I've been thinking about hiking out to East and Reflection Lake via Kearsarge Pass. I wonder if it is possible to cross Bubbs Creek from the south - towards Forester Pass where it is easier - and hike back up its western side to get to East Lake?

If I understand this correctly, you want to access the East Creek drainage from the Kings–Kern Divide by way of Forester Pass?

Kearsarge Pass is usually one of the first of the southern trans High Sierra passes to clear each year, while Forester is the last (some years not at all). Once in the Upper Kern, it is a gentle northeasterly approach to any of the classic Kings–Kern Divide Passes (Lucy's, Milly's, Harrison) leading to the East Creek area. Route finding over these unmaintained breaches will be difficult from the southwest, but if successful, you will then have to negotiate third class down climbs and steep snow and ice along the northwesterly facing chutes. Given current conditions and anything less than an early spring melt and continually hot summer, I doubt these 12,000' escarpments will be clear until at least mid-August (i.e., ice axe, crampons, and maybe a short length of rope – and the knowledege to use them). But true, Bubbs Creek will likely be easier to cross as it will either be smaller and/or covered with snow.

That would not be my approach in a heavy snow year. Better to go in from Cedar Grove, through Junction Meadow. You may be interested in the article I wrote on my return to the area a couple of years ago, Lake Reflection (2009) (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/news/lake-reflection-2009-), or the accounts of an earlier tour (http://www.abovecalifornia.com/lib/ClaranceKing/MOUNTAINEERING/03.php) 150 years ago.

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/High-Sierra/Clearing%20Storm%2C%20Lake%20Reflection.jpg

Ray Fenio
24-Mar-2011, 18:15
I live in Kings Beach, CA on Lake Tahoe and we are getting more snow; several feet are predicted for this series of storms. In the Tahoe basin we are expected to be at 170% of normal snow pack for the season after these storms. The lake is below normal so this should help.

I have a friend works as a Ranger in Yosemite. For a few years he patrolled the road over Badger Pass and complains that many of the winter visitors arrive without snow tires or chains and getting people un-stuck was a necessary Ranger skill -so they close the roads after heavy snow fall. In the Tahoe area many visitors come from the snowless areas of California and are a little green but at least Donner Pass seasons them to driving with chains.

ROL
24-Mar-2011, 18:19
I've been monitoring the news and weather reports for Yosemite. I have a cabin reserved for Friday and Saturday at Curry Village. Looks like I'm going to loose out. I wish I would have been in the valley before the storm hit. Last I heard they were without power only emergency power in the valley.

This from the Yosemite Daily Report (http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=363529):
PARK STATUS Yosemite National Park has re-opened roads and facilities to the public for day use. As work crews continue to repair utilities, plow roads, and clean up debris from early-week storms, the park is gradually welcoming visitors and employees back with increased services and hours of operation each day beginning Thursday. Lodging is still available to those with reservations on Thursday. Limited lodging will also be available beginning Friday evening. Campgrounds will remain closed until Monday. Limited food and visitor services are available.

Should be great! Fresh snow, less visitation. Wish I was going.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Mar-2011, 18:36
It is funny that when I call them about my reservation at Curry Village for tomorrow they can not tell me anything. It is always call tomorrow. I'm now back in Ventura when the plan was to spend the night in Merced and go up in the morning. My understanding is that they are suppose to get close to two feet of snow tonight. So now I'm screwed. I have to take care of some important business tomorrow morning and if they do not allow me to change my reservation or give me a refund I'll have to make the trip. Not to bad I guess if they open the park. I just wanted to be there in the morning.

tgtaylor
24-Mar-2011, 20:26
It is funny that when I call them about my reservation at Curry Village for tomorrow they can not tell me anything. It is always call tomorrow. I'm now back in Ventura when the plan was to spend the night in Merced and go up in the morning. My understanding is that they are suppose to get close to two feet of snow tonight. So now I'm screwed. I have to take care of some important business tomorrow morning and if they do not allow me to change my reservation or give me a refund I'll have to make the trip. Not to bad I guess if they open the park. I just wanted to be there in the morning.

Tonight might not be a good idea. It's been raining steadily, at time heavy, without stop all day here in the day and what comes in here usually goes east to Yosemite. They are expecting heavy snow in the park tonight and I'm sure they won't be disappointed.

Here's the latest update from the Tuolumne Meadows winter rangers:

Weather: (March 17 through March 23)
High temp: 36°F (March 17)
Low temp: -4°F (March 22)
New Snow: 44 inches
Total settled snow depth: 88 inches as of March 23

Ski Conditions and Weather: Although spring is officially here, winter is still in full force in Tuolumne Meadows. We haven’t seen the sun in almost two weeks. Storm after storm has pounded us, leaving us with our highest snow depth in five years. It is currently snowing heavily. The National Weather Service is forecasting this pattern to stay with us until the end of the month. Don’t expect any spring skiing in the near term. Trail breaking is deep and difficult.

Friday, and any day during the upcoming weekend, would likely be a better choice.

This afternoon I caught the itch to capture a stormy B&W image of Pigeon Point Lighthouse on the San Mateo coast and drove over this afternoon. When I got to Half Moon Bay the rain had stopped and it looked like it was starting to clear - exactly what I wasn't looking for. But things looked "better" to the south so I continued to the lighthouse.

Although conditions at the lighthouse wasn't as dramatic as I had 'visualized" (dramatic waves crashing over the lighthouse point), the sky was grey and ominous with an approaching cell from the northwest and I had a nice rocky sea foreground leading up to the lighthouse and used a 3 stop ND filter to try and blur the rather small waves (I need a 6 stop ND). As a result I now have two rolls of 120 Acros to process tonight: One from yesterday and the other from today. Too windy for LF so I used my Pentax 67II w/90mm lens.

Best of luck on your trip. I might head-up this weekend for that Bridalveil Falls shot that I've been thinking about.

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Mar-2011, 20:55
Well if I do have a place to stay in the valley tomorrow and Saturday that will be great. Also, based on everyone's posts it may be better getting to the park later in the day. Anyhow if anyone comes up I'll be the guy with the 8x10 or possibly the 14x17 set up so stop and say hi.

BTW, Ben great website!

tgtaylor
24-Mar-2011, 21:12
If I understand this correctly, you want to access the East Creek drainage from the Kings–Kern Divide by way of Forester Pass?

Kearsarge Pass is usually one of the first of the southern trans High Sierra passes to clear each year, while Forester is the last (some years not at all). Once in the Upper Kern, it is a gentle northeasterly approach to any of the classic Kings–Kern Divide Passes (Lucy's, Milly's, Harrison) leading to the East Creek area. Route finding over these unmaintained breaches will be difficult from the southwest, but if successful, you will then have to negotiate third class down climbs and steep snow and ice along the northwesterly facing chutes. Given current conditions and anything less than an early spring melt and continually hot summer, I doubt these 12,000' escarpments will be clear until at least mid-August (i.e., ice axe, crampons, and maybe a short length of rope – and the knowledege to use them). But true, Bubbs Creek will likely be easier to cross as it will either be smaller and/or covered with snow.

That would not be my approach in a heavy snow year. Better to go in from Cedar Grove, through Junction Meadow. You may be interested in the article I wrote on my return to the area a couple of years ago, Lake Reflection (2009) (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/news/lake-reflection-2009-), or the accounts of an earlier tour (http://www.abovecalifornia.com/lib/ClaranceKing/MOUNTAINEERING/03.php) 150 years ago.

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/High-Sierra/Clearing%20Storm%2C%20Lake%20Reflection.jpg

Thanks for the input and beautiful images Ben. Your website is an excellent reference to photographers such as myself that are interested in traveling and photographing in the Sierra Nevada.

What I would like to do, if possible, is avoid crossing Bubbs Creek at Junction Meadow at high water where, for me, it's running far too swift and deep to even consider trying. Instead, I was wondering if someone had, if coming from Roads End, continued past Junction Meadows to the JMT/PCT at Vidette Meadows and from there turned south about 3 miles to Center Peak, where the JMT makes an easier crossing of Bubbs and, from there, head back north following the western bank of Bubbs around East and West Vidette to the trail going to East Lake. It's a 6 mile detour but if it could be done in a reasonable manner (just hiking) then it would be worth it.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2011, 08:56
A few people make over these high passes all thru the year except mid-winter and
similar avalanche conditions. It just depends on how comfortable you are postholing thru deep snow hours on end, and if you have proper footwear for it. An ice axe or trekking poles are also useful. Crossing streams is a far more serious hazard during the melt. A major highway like the Muir Trail has quite a few bridges. I've been dunked enough times early season to know to keep my camera gear, clothing, and sleeping bag double-wrapped in plastic bags. This year I'd certainly expect the highest passes
to be snow covered well into August, and the mosquitos to be sheer hell midsummer.
Last year there was almost continuous snow above 7000 ft in the Sierra right thru
June and forget any 4-wheel roads. This year looks like even deeper snow. Once in
awhile when "Spring" is delayed until the start of Fall in September, you can get
full wildflower blooms right along with fall colors in the higher meadows - a color photographer's dream come true. Anyway, that's how I'm going to time one of my
longer backpack trips this year. One can also bypass Forester Pass using the old
Center Basin route then reconnecting atop Shepherd Pass. Will be deep snow there
too, but so what - once it's firm and setted just a standard feature at those altitudes
and fun to glissade down.

dperez
25-Mar-2011, 11:13

This is truly a beautiful image! I really enjoyed the images on your website as well. Thanks for sharing.

-Daniel Perez

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2011, 11:48
Yeah ... it's pure torture looking at a beautiful shot of Lk Reflection like that and knowing it will still be a few months till the high country is open! Even the wildflower
season here on the coast is running at least a month and a half late. But my filmholders are loaded and ready to go!

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Mar-2011, 21:19
Just got back from Yosemite. More snow in the valley than I have ever seen.Very few people. I did not see any other LF shooters. Shot the 8x10 and I wish I would of brought my snowshoes! I got into the park late Friday. Had to come in 41 and had to be escorted to the glacier point turn off due to narrow icy conditions. Snowed all Friday night and until about 4 PM. on Saturday. Wet snow on Sat. but I was out in it. Man was it great. I tried to set up the 14x17 for a shot in El Cap meadow but the wind came up big time. The conditions were just to tough for the big camera. MOre waterfalls than I have ever seen coming out on 140. If you get a chance go up now!! Be sure to bring good waterproof boots!

Vaughn
27-Mar-2011, 21:24
Glad you had a good time there! Sounds beautiful!

Getting ready for a show here in town -- with my buddy who use to live in the Valley (Glenn, the ex-curator for the AA Gallery). His ink jets (B&W and color) and my Carbons (and a few big silver gelatins). Opens this coming week-end...got the labels made, and I still have some prints to put up on the walls tomorrow morning!

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Mar-2011, 21:37
Vaughn, it was amazing in the valley. When the storm let up on Saturday afternoon I was the only one out in the valley from about 5-7PM shooting. Shot in El Cap meadow with fog, sun breaking through, a bit of blue sky. It was so amazing I was laughing!

Great to hear you are having a show. Good luck with it I know it will be well received. Hope you guys sell some images too!

Preston
28-Mar-2011, 07:32
It was so amazing I was laughing!

It doesn't get any better than that!

Glad you had a great time, Jim. We're looking forward to seeing your work from the trip.

Vaughn--good luck with the show. I wish I could get up that way to see it.

--P

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Mar-2011, 19:51
Okay, here is a shot from the recent trip to Yosemite. This is El Cap Meadow and I took this to show the set up. You can see the strap blowing in the wind, well I broke down the set up as the wind really began to blow. Only when I had the 14x17 out.

tgtaylor
29-Mar-2011, 20:23
Nice looking setup Jim. With a ground glass that size you can see the shot from 5 feet away!

I've finally scratched my "big camera" itch and purchased an 8x10 Toyo G which will be arriving tomorrow. Kind-a-crazy I guess, but what the hey - you only go-round once in life and if photography is your interest, as it is in my case, then one would be a fool not to. This afternoon, after purchasing 2 new Fidelity 8x10 holders from the local calumet store, I felt that tingle of excitement in the chest with anticipation.

My darkroom is currently fully equipped for enlarging 4x5 but I can make 8x10 contact prints and experiment with different papers and developers. This will be fun!

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Mar-2011, 21:07
Thomas, my 8x10 is like a point and shoot now. The 14x17 takes some thought. I just wish the wind would have cooperated. I did shoot from here with the 8x10 and fog and clouds breaking up and sun beams and no one else around. Still need to develop the negatives and make some prints.

tgtaylor
1-Apr-2011, 21:40
The 8x10 arrived yesterday afternoon and it was a true beauty. Very slight brassing of the black finish on just a couple of sharp edges which are totally unnoticeable unless under very close inspection and the GG is pristine without even the slightest mark on it. The bellows was brand new and it came with an indestructible J.H.Sessions & Sons case branded "A&S Flight & Road Case Company" in Hollywood, CA. The case, modified for the 8x10 and long rail, weighs ~30lbs. Here's a snap of the camera sitting on a Manfrotto 475B tripod this evening in my living-room. That's my Yamaha electronic piano below and a 16x20 B&W print mounted to 2w2x28 above:

Thomas