PDA

View Full Version : 9.5" Velostigmat II SF lens in shutter or barrel? I need measurements.

David Aimone
12-Feb-2011, 11:39
Anyone have a 9.5" Velostigmat II SF lens in shutter or barrel? I need measurements on this lens so I can space the front section properly from the back. I'm either going to make/get an adapater/spacer or rig up some kind of barrel holder.

Or better yet, if you have the proper spacer or a non-useable version of this lens I could cannibalize, let me know!

So close, yet so far...

Paul Fitzgerald
12-Feb-2011, 22:10
David,

there were 2 versions, early & late, but I don't remember the break-off limit by serial number. The early version had a shorter front extension and a longer rear extension to the barrel. The late version are roughly even front & rear. The bits & bobs do NOT interchange between early and late, different formulas to the glass.

Mark Sawyer
13-Feb-2011, 11:01
I can give you the spacing for an early sf verion in a Studio Shutter, if that helps. Serial no. 159761, 69.59mm front to rear rims, sf set at 0 (sharp). But Wollensak did make small design changes over time which may have changed the spacing.

David Aimone
13-Feb-2011, 13:14
Mine shows Serial Number 225346. I don't suppose there is any kind of reference for this anywhere?

Did they all go normally in Ilex 4 shutters? If not, wouldn't that make a difference in spacing as well, or is there a standard shutter thickness?

Thanks for the measurements, Mark.

Darren Kruger
13-Feb-2011, 21:06
Did they all go normally in Ilex 4 shutters? If not, wouldn't that make a difference in spacing as well, or is there a standard shutter thickness?

I believe if they were in shutter it would be one from Wollensak (studio or Betax #4.) I took a look at my 9.5" which is in a Betax #4 and it look like are adapters on the front and rear element. The one on front is stuck on the shutter and rear one is stuck on the lens.

-Darren

David Aimone
15-Feb-2011, 07:58
I did get a reasonable quote from sk grimes, but I do need measurements as follows:

Thank you for the inquiry. *Normally, this type of adapter is part of a remount which requires specific dimension between the front and rear cell and their relative location to the aperture to be maintained. *However, if you know the exact spacing required, we can make a threaded adapter to spec.

Anyone? Darren?

cdholden
15-Feb-2011, 10:07
Darren,
If you are unable to disassemble, do you have a caliper to measure front optic to rear optic? A measurement of the lens as a whole would help David/SKG get spacing measurement.

David Aimone
15-Feb-2011, 10:24
Darren,
If you are unable to disassemble, do you have a caliper to measure front optic to rear optic? A measurement of the lens as a whole would help David/SKG get spacing measurement.

Yes, and your best estimate of front and/or back to shutter aperture iris would be good, though probably not precise without disassembly.

Thanks Thanks Thanks!

David

Darren Kruger
15-Feb-2011, 23:11
I did get a reasonable quote from sk grimes, but I do need measurements as follows:

Thank you for the inquiry. *Normally, this type of adapter is part of a remount which requires specific dimension between the front and rear cell and their relative location to the aperture to be maintained. *However, if you know the exact spacing required, we can make a threaded adapter to spec.

Anyone? Darren?

I just measured my lens. Fully assembled and with the diffusion set to 0, the entire lens is 59.40mm. The rear lens assembly measures 21.60mm thick. The front lens assembly measures 29.40mm thick. The bare shutter with front adapter is 31.15mm. The rear adapter appears to be 7.18mm.

The documents I have show a standard Betax #4 shutter should be 1" (or 25.4mm) thick.

For reference, the serial number of the lens I have is 225347.

-Darren

David Aimone
16-Feb-2011, 06:23
THANK YOU!

Very helpful and interesting Darren. I'm assuming they are the same lens, since my SN is 225346!

Is there any way you can give me distances from the front and rear to the aperture blades? And/or the thickness of the front adapter alone? Although I probably have enough information if yours is on a Betax 4 as well!

David

I just measured my lens. Fully assembled and with the diffusion set to 0, the entire lens is 59.40mm. The rear lens assembly measures 21.60mm thick. The front lens assembly measures 29.40mm thick. The bare shutter with front adapter is 31.15mm. The rear adapter appears to be 7.18mm.

The documents I have show a standard Betax #4 shutter should be 1" (or 25.4mm) thick.

For reference, the serial number of the lens I have is 225347.

-Darren

David Aimone
16-Feb-2011, 06:27
Darren, is yours a series II or other? Just checking, as it says series III on your profile...

Darren Kruger
16-Feb-2011, 21:11
Darren, is yours a series II or other? Just checking, as it says series III on your profile...

The measurements I gave above are from my Velostigmat Series II 9.5" f/4.5 lens. I own several other Wollensak Velostigmat lenses of various flavors. The III is one I have used on my 8x10 though it has been a bit.

-Darren

Darren Kruger
16-Feb-2011, 21:34
Is there any way you can give me distances from the front and rear to the aperture blades? And/or the thickness of the front adapter alone? Although I probably have enough information if yours is on a Betax 4 as well!

I don't have anything to measure to the aperture but it should be standard for the Betax #4. I just noticed that my shutter just says Betax appears to be the same size as my other Betax #4 shutters.

I'll go to my local camera shop tomorrow and see if the tech there can remove the front adapter.

Do you have a good side picture of the rear element showing the threads? Mine looks like it has an adapter/extender but it might be part of the construction and might be present on yours.

-Darren

David Aimone
17-Feb-2011, 05:57
Thank, Darren. This is probably enough information to know that we're comparing apples to apples (same version lens, same shutter).

I'll try to get a good photo from the side of the rear element later today.

I appreciate your research. This will probably enable me to get this lens set up properly.

David

David Aimone
17-Feb-2011, 17:36
Side views.

Here's a view of the rear element and a Betax 4 shutter (the lens piece mounted on the front is not part of the 9.5" Velo II):

http://www.davidaimone.com/img/s3/v23/p459428353-4.jpg

And here is the front element alone:

http://www.davidaimone.com/img/s1/v20/p327810047-4.jpg

Darren Kruger
17-Feb-2011, 23:42
Side views.

Here's a view of the rear element and a Betax 4 shutter (the lens piece mounted on the front is not part of the 9.5" Velo II):

The rear element looks a lot like mine in regards to the spacer so i think you are good there. Do you have a side picture of the original shutter? I'm wondering if the adapter is still on there. Does the front element screw in the original shutter?

-Darren

David Aimone
18-Feb-2011, 05:54
I'm 95% sure that there is no front adapter on the old shutter. I believe the front is the same as my other Betax 4 shutters with nothing on them. But I will verify tonight when I'm home.

The front element DOES screw into the original shutter (which has no internal mechanism). But without an extension, the rear of it protrudes into the shutter blades (on my other intact Betax 4 shutters that have them).

So if the rear element is the same and goes right on the back, then it looks like I'll just need a front adapter to space the lens correctly.

The rear element looks a lot like mine in regards to the spacer so i think you are good there. Do you have a side picture of the original shutter? I'm wondering if the adapter is still on there. Does the front element screw in the original shutter?

-Darren

David Aimone
18-Feb-2011, 15:24
Confirmed: no front adapter on the old shutter.

David Aimone
20-Feb-2011, 19:38
Thanks everyone, especially Darren. I have scientifically determined with great accuracy that I need an extension adapter to separate the front lens barrel from the Betax 4 shutter by 6.5mm
:)

David Aimone
5-Mar-2011, 06:41
SK Grimes is crafting the extension as we speak. Should end up with a very nice little SF lens for cheap.

eddie
6-Mar-2011, 02:21
SK Grimes is crafting the extension as we speak. Should end up with a very nice little SF lens for cheap.

cool. what is grimes getting for the adapter work....?