PDA

View Full Version : What is a 100% Enlargement?

tgtaylor
11-Feb-2011, 15:49
Would it be a doubling of the physical size (e.g., going from 4x5 to 8x10) or something else?

This is from an active threat in the lounge:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/MR7/paroquia

and

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/MR7/paroquia-detail.jpg

The author considers the bottom image a 100 % enlargement:

"The shot above, of the famous San Miguel Parroquia, was taken at dusk, with the specs given above. Below is a 100% enlargement. Note that I have deliberately somewhat over-sharpened this file for web display. A print would have more subtile sharpening."

Did he double the size of the original image (e.g., 4x5 -> 8x10) and then "blow-up" the detail, or something else?

Jon Shiu
11-Feb-2011, 16:14
It only means actual pixels view, not physical.

Jon

myoptic
11-Feb-2011, 16:15
That is a great question, to which I would also like the answer. Does 100% refer to doubling of the image size, the size of the image on the neg, the size of the image on the original print?
I have no idea, but that looks like perhaps a 1000% enlargement, which would be 10x...

tgtaylor
11-Feb-2011, 16:27
I agree.

Incidentially, a lot of people (myself included at one time) consider going from 4x5 to 8x10 to be an enlargement factor of 2x since you multiply the dimensions of each side by a factor of 2. Others would consider it a factor of 4x since the new area is a factor 4 of the old area.

What enlargement factor would be a 100% enlargement?

Thomas

ic-racer
11-Feb-2011, 16:35
I agree.

Incidentially, a lot of people (myself included at one time) consider going from 4x5 to 8x10 to be an enlargement factor of 2x

And the whole rest of the world...

"100% Enlargement" is an oxymoron.

You can get 100% by contact printing or projection printing with an enlarger. But, by definition, it is not an 'enlargement.'

Bob McCarthy
11-Feb-2011, 17:01
100% meant the pixels are displayed at screen resolution. roughly 100 ppi with a good screen.

This is the standard photoshop or other editor usage.

Bob

Ron McElroy
11-Feb-2011, 17:17
Coming from the graphics world 100% means the same size as the original. This is not an enlargement. Doubling the image size would be a 200% enlargement.
In the context of the financial world a 100% return be doubling your investment.

Brian Ellis
11-Feb-2011, 17:19
In the context of the images you posted, 100% enlargement means that the image was enlarged to a point where one image pixel equals one monitor pixel (done in Photoshop by clicking on View > Actual Pixels).

Greg Blank
11-Feb-2011, 17:20
In my view the 100 percent is 1 to 1 same size as the negative. 200 percent would
be 4x5 original to 8x10 print or a doubling of dimensions either pixel depth or physical dimensions on a scan.

Would it be a doubling of the physical size (e.g., going from 4x5 to 8x10) or something else?

This is from an active threat in the lounge:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/MR7/paroquia

and

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/MR7/paroquia-detail.jpg

The author considers the bottom image a 100 % enlargement:

"The shot above, of the famous San Miguel Parroquia, was taken at dusk, with the specs given above. Below is a 100% enlargement. Note that I have deliberately somewhat over-sharpened this file for web display. A print would have more subtile sharpening."

Did he double the size of the original image (e.g., 4x5 -> 8x10) and then "blow-up" the detail, or something else?

Mick Noordewier
11-Feb-2011, 17:26
I knew the lounge was intellectually dangerous: now it is filled with active threats.

Jim Noel
12-Feb-2011, 09:39
And the whole rest of the world...

"100% Enlargement" is an oxymoron.

You can get 100% by contact printing or projection printing with an enlarger. But, by definition, it is not an 'enlargement.'

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

savantcreative
12-Feb-2011, 11:40
2x 200% is 4x If you are looking at area measurements that's when the numbers are different.

John NYC
12-Feb-2011, 11:47
He should have said 100 percent crop. It is a crop that shows the image at it's native (for that camera) pixel size. He had to downsize the entire image to make it a reasonable screen size to display online.

neil poulsen
12-Feb-2011, 11:57
It's a nice picture. :)

D. Bryant
12-Feb-2011, 13:57
I agree.

Incidentially, a lot of people (myself included at one time) consider going from 4x5 to 8x10 to be an enlargement factor of 2x since you multiply the dimensions of each side by a factor of 2. Others would consider it a factor of 4x since the new area is a factor 4 of the old area.

What enlargement factor would be a 100% enlargement?

Thomas

Depends on how you think about enlargement. Image area would be 20 to 40 square inches. Image dimensions would be to 8x10, which is a 200% increase in image area.

In Photoshop terms a 100% enlargement is measured in pixel units of dimension meaning 1 image pixel is mapped as on ones display as 1 display pixel.

Richard M. Coda
12-Feb-2011, 15:12
All I know is if you have 100% enlargement for more than 4 hours you should call a doctor! :)