PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maryland!

cobbu2
10-Feb-2011, 18:56
Greetings All,

I am a raw newbie into large format photography; it's something I've always been interested in trying since I first became involved with photography as a teenager in the mid-70s and now, after years of 35mm and medium format (mostly as an amateur, as I work in a completely different field flying for an airline), I didn't know where to begin, but finally took the plunge on a complete whim and ended up going big!

My first inclination was to dive in head first with an 8x10, since I envision myself eventually doing 8x10 contact printing. My first roadblock there seemed to be cost, not only the camera and its accessories, but also the film and processing equipment, although I do posses a motorized rotary 8x10 color print processing drum and water bath that I used in college but not since.

Next was 5x7; to me it seemed I had the same issues as I foresaw with 8x10, except now, the contact prints are even smaller and a 5x7 enlarger is out of my reach. Even so, 5x7 contact prints still can look excellent to me.

Lastly is 4x5, which means I would mostly need to do enlargements. My current living situation is that for the next 2 years or so I don't have the means to set up a permanent darkroom that can accommodate a 4x5 enlarger, forcing me to use a rental darkroom (fairly easy since I live in the DC area) in the mean time. For now, I use an Omega C700 for 35mm and MF for a Pentax 67 that I can easily set up in the bathroom. With 4x5 I realize the cameras etc. are generally less expensive and there are wider choices of films.

Well, as it turned out, availability at a low cost drove the answer to my quest. A quite inexpensive but complete Burke & James Grover 8x10 with a 12-inch Carl Meyer Anastigmat lens came available and I jumped on it. I figure for the time being, I'll use my old tube to develop the film (yep, 1 sheet at a time) and then make contact prints, and as time goes on, find a 4x5 reducing back to increase its utility.

The camera should arrive in a couple days, I can't wait to get started and finally, at long last experience the large format world. Any comments or suggestions with what I have are welcome!

Thanks, Allan

John Kasaian
10-Feb-2011, 19:03
Too cool! 8x10 is a blast---I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Arista.edu Ultra 100 and Arista Ortho Litho are economic emulsions to consider.

BarryS
10-Feb-2011, 19:10
Hey Allan--- Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 8x10. We have a large format/alt process group that meets monthly in Bethesda, and you're welcome to join us if you want to hang out.

Riverman
10-Feb-2011, 20:23
Hi Allan. Sounds like you're going to have fun!

cobbu2
10-Feb-2011, 20:55
Thanks everyone! Sure enough, I saw the Arista 100 for sale at Freestyle, so I'll probably try that for starters. I also saw some Efke IR820 at the big auction site that sounds intriguing also. I've used HIE and Rollei 400 in (in MF) in the past.

Barry -- that sounds like an excellent group! I live just up the road in Rockville, so I'd love to know the details.

I'm definitely looking forward to get started! Thanks, Allan

Vick Vickery
10-Feb-2011, 21:35
Welcome to group therapy, Allan. Those old B & J Grovers are actually pretty good cameras, though they've gotten a bad rap thru the years for getting loose, etc., but the friction focus can be adjusted and when clean they work like a champ (speaking from memory here...its been a LONG time since I had a Grover to play with). Enjoy your new toy!

Walter Calahan
11-Feb-2011, 05:47
Allen

It really doesn't matter what gear you get as long as you are making images, and your equipment doesn't get in the way of your vision.

Some people enjoy flying Curtiss Robins and others love the Boeing 777.

cps
11-Feb-2011, 06:09
Allan,

Happy to hear about another trend-bucker moving to LF in the DC area. I live in the District and just started dabbling in LF a few months ago (4x5 Linhof Techika) after first making the move to MF film from digital last year. I love the process and the results.

Barry, where and when does the Bethesda large format/alt process group meet? I could probably come out there.

Chris

BarryS
11-Feb-2011, 08:08
Chris--we'd love to have you--I'll send you a PM with the details. Allan is going to try to make it as his schedule allows.

tautatis
12-Feb-2011, 07:24
Barry,

I live in downtown Silver Spring and would love to join the group in Bethesda. Please send me the information.

Thx,

Adrian

Sirius Glass
12-Feb-2011, 15:05
Barry,

Would you please tell me more about the Bethesda Large Format group? I am in Northern Virginia which the locals call "No Va". Now where I come from, Los Angeles, "no va" means it does not move or it is broken.

Steve