PDA

View Full Version : 90mm/6.8 angulon which to pick?

fbf
10-Feb-2011, 16:56
I am looking for a lightweight, hiking 90mm lens and the 90/6.8 angulon seems to fit my needs very well. I found two lenses and can't decide which one to buy
1st one is a 1968 90/6.8 angulon with factory converted copal shutter
2nd one is an early Linhof select 90/6.8 angulon on compur shutter

I have always heard good things about linhof selected lenses but 1st lens has a modern shutter which I suppose will last longer.

Assuming prices are the same. Which one would you pick?
Would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Darin Boville
10-Feb-2011, 17:35
If you have the serial number of the lenses can de dated which might be a big help in determining which is more desirable.

fbf
10-Feb-2011, 17:57
If you have the serial number of the lenses can de dated which might be a big help in determining which is more desirable.

1st one with copal 110xxxxx
2nd one linhof select compur 69xxxxx

Is newer always better? or is it certain serial# better than the other?

Thanks

Frank Petronio
10-Feb-2011, 18:09
A later serial number and Linhof select is going to be best. It's probably a toss up unless you buy both and shoot a test, and I suspect they will be close.

It's more risky with the older 2-3 million serial numbers but by the 6 million numbers I think Schneider was much more consistent.

The Linhof Compur is a better built, higher quality shutter than the Copal, they are both old shutters at this point, they both may require service by now. Copals are fine BTW.

Darin Boville
10-Feb-2011, 18:15
Just curious--how much is the seller asking for these? Both lenses come up fairly often so a fair "market price" is easy to determine.

--Darin

archer
11-Feb-2011, 01:59
If both lenses were the same quality, I would always pick the lens in the Compur shutter because while nice shutters, the Copal is not in the same class as the Compur.
Denise Libby

Phil Hudson
11-Feb-2011, 03:19
Is the Copal shutter a remount? This may change the cell spacing slightly and negate any advantage of the later lens cells. Sometimes original is best (but not always!).

IanG
11-Feb-2011, 04:06
A lot of the issues of early 90mm f6.8 Angulons is actually down to inconsistent cell spacings which are due to variations with the older style (rimset) Compur shutters. At some point this issue seems to have been ironed out.

It is rather hit & miss with these lenses my first a Linhof select version was poor at the edges & corners, a second I borrowed was little better, however I've now found a good one, 6,746,*** SN which matches Frank's comments.

Like others I prefer Compur shutters where possible, but if it's a genuine factory Copal conversion there shouldn't be an issue.

Ian

fbf
12-Feb-2011, 08:41
THanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to hold off for now. There are plenty of these lenses available so I probably will be looking for a late linhof selected in the future.

maddoc2003jp
14-Feb-2011, 08:04
I have a 4247xxx "LINHOF SYNCHRO COMPUR" 1:6.8/90 and just three hours ago one of the shutter blades broke off .... :eek: :mad: The lens was very good performing but I guess that I have a paper-weight now ... :o

"fbf" ... Is that you Chris ?

dave_whatever
14-Feb-2011, 09:59
I doubt you will find a late linhof select - I think linhof stopped using them after a certain point in time, possibly mid 60s? Bob might know.

Kevin Crisp
14-Feb-2011, 11:11
I've had 10+ of these pass through my hands over the years. My conclusions after having tested them:

1. The common ones in the 5M serial number range are hit or miss on quality. The bad ones aren't very sharp at the edges, though they were plenty good for newspaper work in their day. The good ones aren't bad at all.

2. When you get up in the 6M and 7M serial numbers they are consistently pretty decent.

3. The ones in the 10M+ serial number range are hard to come by and good enough that you can get some movements out of them. I have on the 11M range in Copal "0" that is excellent, and another in the 7M range that is just as good.

Does this really mean anything as to a particular lens you're buying? Obviously not much, so reserve the right to test it and refund if not good enough for your purposes.

fbf
14-Feb-2011, 20:20
I have a 4247xxx "LINHOF SYNCHRO COMPUR" 1:6.8/90 and just three hours ago one of the shutter blades broke off .... :eek: :mad: The lens was very good performing but I guess that I have a paper-weight now ... :o

"fbf" ... Is that you Chris ?

Sup, Gabor. :D How is the linhof technika IV treating you?

fbf
14-Feb-2011, 20:23
I've had 10+ of these pass through my hands over the years. My conclusions after having tested them:

1. The common ones in the 5M serial number range are hit or miss on quality. The bad ones aren't very sharp at the edges, though they were plenty good for newspaper work in their day. The good ones aren't bad at all.

2. When you get up in the 6M and 7M serial numbers they are consistently pretty decent.

3. The ones in the 10M+ serial number range are hard to come by and good enough that you can get some movements out of them. I have on the 11M range in Copal "0" that is excellent, and another in the 7M range that is just as good.

Does this really mean anything as to a particular lens you're buying? Obviously not much, so reserve the right to test it and refund if not good enough for your purposes.

Hi Kevin, can I read this as later serial is generally better than earlier ones? I assume this doesn't apply to Linhof selected lenses.

Kevin Crisp
14-Feb-2011, 20:58
I think you can find many people who are of that opinion. It does seem to be a lens that improved with time, but some of the 1950's ones were quite good too. And some not so hot. If it were me, I'd get a late production one for something other than handheld work.

These do occasionally show up with separation and this is hard to fix on these.