PDA

View Full Version : Ebony non folders...loose mounting bush

Former Member 8144
10-Feb-2011, 02:45
Hi guys,
For any Ebony non folding users out there can you do me a little favour.
The bush within my metal tripod mounting plate is very loose...upwards and sideways movement meaning it's very hard to get the my head QR plate to mate with a 100% fit...seems strong but movement is possible once its on the tripod head.
Have not used an ebony for a few years now and can't remember them being this way but wanted to check first.
(I've tried both larger tripod screws and smaller ones with adaptor...same result)
I'm pretty sure it should not be this way but can you just check yours and let me know before I look into it.

Just looking more closely from under the bellows there is a gulf above where the bush inserts as in the first picture...to place the bush in the first place...can something be done here I wonder?
The second shot shows the loose angled bush.

Thanks,
Marc

John Brady
10-Feb-2011, 05:55
I have 3 ebony non folders and none of them look like that. Mine are all straight, I think something bad must have happened to yours.

I would try to take that bottom plate off and take it to a machinist to fix. Or I'm sure you could get a new plate with bushing from Ebony. If you have time it could be sent to Ebony for repair. Good luck with it.

www.timeandlight.com

George Hart
10-Feb-2011, 07:56
May I suggest you email Hiromi at Ebony and ask his opinion?

George

Former Member 8144
10-Feb-2011, 08:22
I wonder if the bush should be attached to the plate...so one piece?

Tomorrow I'll ask Robert White here in the UK and then email Ebony if need be...unless of course I get answers here first!

Thanks,
Marc

George Hart
10-Feb-2011, 08:41
Marc, yes the bush should be nestled in the top plate, firmly seated, and ever so slightly recessed. However, it's the appearance of the top plate in your second photo that looks odd. The plate should be flat right up to the outer margin of the bush, but it seems from the photo that yours is raised (or lowered, if the camera is upright) around the circumference of the bush thread, as if considerable force has been applied, with the result that the bush mount has been pulled downwards (camera orientation upright). It's difficult to believe that this could really have happened, and it may just be my misinterpretation of the photograph, but it would be good if you could tell us if the titanium plate is flat or not.

George

Former Member 8144
10-Feb-2011, 09:01
Hi George,
This is now starting to make sense.
The plate is on the camera the right way up in so far as its attachment to the camera (see the recessed holes for the screws) but yes the hole for the bush to come through has the lip coming outwards instead of in. So even though the bush still sits neatly on a lap when pulled against it the plate can never sit truly flat against the QR plate because of the lip, hence the ability to rotate.
I've removed it etc, etc.
How bizzare.
I can't see how force could have caused this inside out occurence.
The play of the camera is very slight and may simply not have been noticed before.

Do I have an upside down plate with the recessed screw holes on the wrong side / lip on wrong side?
Quite interesting really.
Now what to do about it!

Thanks,
Marc

George Hart
10-Feb-2011, 09:56
Marc, the plate should be completely flat.

George

Former Member 8144
10-Feb-2011, 10:08
Agreed!
You know what its like.
You pick up a camera...you check the movements but honestly don't think to check the base plate.
First shoot you slip on the QR plate and tighten it up, pop it on the head and use...but notice the slight rotation...so work with it and then start to look into it...ignoring the thing in front of your eyes!

Lenny Eiger
10-Feb-2011, 11:25
I'd add one thing. Any time you talk to a camera manufacturer, tell them to put two holes in the plate instead of one. It is so much more stable on a tripod if you have two screws. You can carry it over your shoulder without worrying that it will spin of its mount and crash to the ground...

Older cameras (at least my old Century and a couple of others) had the base set up like this. I took my Canham to a machinist and drilled a second hole, tapped it, and it works wonderfully.

Just a pet peeve of mine...

Lenny
EigerStudios

Former Member 8144
17-Feb-2011, 08:57
Am waiting to hear from Robert White about a replacement from Japan.

John Koehrer
18-Feb-2011, 11:35
From the look of the plate, it was made that way. The protruding section is very precise.
Easy fix, short of replacing it would be remove it, epoxy it in place, re install the plate and put a rubber or cork cushion on the bottom. Obviously with a hole for the protrusion.
All the epoxy is doing is holding the nut in place, nothing more stressful than that.
I'd use a tripod screw or bolt through clamp to hold it in place while the epoxy cures.
Finger tight would do it.

Former Member 8144
18-Feb-2011, 11:51
Hi John,
Yes found out today a replacement will cost over £100 so definately looking for an alternative.
Short of having new recessed screw holes machined through the other side in different positions yours sounds like a good suggestion.
Thanks,
Marc

Jack Dahlgren
18-Feb-2011, 13:07
Hi John,
Yes found out today a replacement will cost over £100 so definately looking for an alternative.
Short of having new recessed screw holes machined through the other side in different positions yours sounds like a good suggestion.
Thanks,
Marc

I'm wondering why it was made that way to begin with. My Ebony mounting plate is flat on the bottom.

I think that shimming it out with a sheet of cork with a hole and using some adhesive to capture the nut would be a quick and cheap solution.