PDA

View Full Version : Help w Screen Cezanne Elite

mdala
9-Feb-2011, 03:57
Hi,

a long time lurker now a first time poster.

I'm "inheriting" a Screen Cezanne Elite with no software, no manuals and no calibration slide. I'm not too sure how/where to obtain the missing bits to get this scanner up and running again.

-How important is the calibration slide?

-Where can I get/buy a copy of ColorGenius? I understand Screen sells a version for close or over $1000 (ouch). Are there other sources?

-When the scanner is turned on, it does its thing then displays 1(left)=green, 2= off, 3= off, 4= green). Is this a good sign?

Once I get the scanner in, it'll be driven by an old G3 (os 9). I also have another G3 running os x. What are the recommended OS+colorGenius versions to run this scanner optimally?

Thank you for your help.

skd

Peter De Smidt
9-Feb-2011, 06:27
By "calibration slide" do you mean the calibration strip that's always in the printer, or a piece of film used to make an icc file? If the former, than you need one. If the latter, then you don't, although if you scan transparencies, making icc files for each film is a good idea. You can buy IT8 targets on various films from Wolf Faust.

Regarding software, note that the software is not interchangeable between the FS-5000 (Cezanne) and the FS-5500 (Cezanne Elite.) You can either buy software new from Screen or from a private individual. I have a regular Cezanne.

I like OS 10. For example, I can then use a USB 2 add on card. (Perhaps you can also find them for OS 9. I don't know.) To use OS 10, you need to use V2 of Color Genius. Also, check out Screen's download page, and read the various read me files. Only certain combinations of OS, Software, Firmware, and SCSI cards will work, and some things need to be updated in a particular order.

Peter York
9-Feb-2011, 11:53
Peter is referring to the white strip used for scanner calibration that is a necessary component. On the FS5000 the white strip is located to far left of the scanner bed (when you are facing the scanner with the lid open). You should see a curved piece of black metal sloping up from the bed as the bed begins to be obstructed by the light fixture. This is the "handle" for the white strip. Grab the handle and pull up to remove a strip of metal. The white calibration strip is attached to the bottom. BE CAREFUL when handling this as a damaged/dirty white clibration strip will affect scanner performance.

AFAIK, there is little difference between the 2 versions of colorgenius, aside from the capability to run on a newer mac OS.

Peter De Smidt
9-Feb-2011, 12:13
AFAIK, there is little difference between the 2 versions of colorgenius, aside from the capability to run on a newer mac OS.

I think that's right.

mdala
10-Feb-2011, 03:34
Peter and Peter, thank you!

Based on what I know of Kodak/Creo scanners, I assumed the Cezanne also came with a detachable calibration slide. Now I understand that part may actually be with the scanner that I'll soon receive.

I like OS X too but I'm not looking forward to shelling $1000 for the latest version of colorGenius. I'm assuming the older (and newer version) of the software require a dongle; is this correct?

Lastly, is there a manual somewhere which indicates the procedure to follow to prepare the scanner for transportation? I couldn't find anything on Screen's website.

Thank you everyone!

mdala
10-Feb-2011, 03:37
Can someone confirm that when the scanner is powered on this is what the LEDs should show?

From left to right. 1/green, 2/off, 3/off, 4/green. Is this a sign the scanner is healthy?

Thank you

Bob McCarthy
10-Feb-2011, 06:32
Can someone confirm that when the scanner is powered on this is what the LEDs should show?

From left to right. 1/green, 2/off, 3/off, 4/green. Is this a sign the scanner is healthy?

Thank you

That is correct, more specifically that is the led state after the scanner completes the startup sequence.

Bob

Peter De Smidt
10-Feb-2011, 08:15
Regarding dongles, mine doesn't have one, although I think Bob's does. (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.) If so, Screen wasn't consistent about this.

Peter York
10-Feb-2011, 08:37
There is no dongle with my scanner.

Bob McCarthy
10-Feb-2011, 10:07
Regarding dongles, mine doesn't have one, although I think Bob's does. (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.) If so, Screen wasn't consistent about this.

My memory, when we were speaking about this, was flawed.

No dongle.

bob

mdala
14-Feb-2011, 12:33
Guys, thanks for confirming a dongle isn't needed.

I've asked the owner to double check the leds again but now he says they now show (from left to right):

1: on
2: on
3: off
4: flashing

Also, the fan(s) turned on two minutes after the scanner was powered on and stayed on for a while (15+ minutes)

I'm starting to think something's not quite right here, but can't tell. Is there a user's manual online somewhere, or even better, a service manual?

Thanks

skd

Bob McCarthy
14-Feb-2011, 12:39
Is the second light "amber" in color? If so its not good. But it could be minor like something in the scanning path, or a microswitch is not made on the left box, to something serious!!

My fan seems to run alot too. Always has.

Check CGserver messages.

bob

mdala
14-Feb-2011, 12:49
Bob,

that's very helpful. I'll find out shortly what color it was. All other leds must be green, when on, is that it?

The scanner is no longer connected to a mac and I won't be able to get CG server messages. :o

mdala
14-Feb-2011, 14:44
Does anyone have the scanner's user's manual (and ColorGenius manual too) as a PDF or any mac readable format please? The leds on the scanner are 1/green 2/red 3/amber/4 green. I'd like to read everything the manual says about the scanner's lights before I spend serious $ shipping it.

Thanks!

Bob McCarthy
14-Feb-2011, 20:14
The error codes are displayed on cg-server.

I have a hard copy manual, I'll look it up and report the lights if they are there.

I do not have an Elite but I'd bet there is no difference.

Bob

Bob McCarthy
14-Feb-2011, 20:27
The 4 LEDs are

1). Power indicator

2) error indicator - error code will be displayed to connected computer

3)led flashes during scanning. If you open upper cover scanner will stop.

4) home position indicator. Ok to open lid when this is lit.

If the scanned bed is out of position and path is clear, it should be possible to gently move bed into home position.

Mine had a sticky micro switch that said the left bed guard was out of position. I took it off and reinstalled. Then moved bed by hand gently back into home position. Key word is gently. It may have been a risk, but I did it anyway. Your result may vary.

Hope this helps.

I have a list of error codes if you can hook up a computer.

Bob

mdala
14-Feb-2011, 20:29
Bob,

thanks a lot!

Cezanne Elite users, where do you get replacement bulbs? Do they need to come from Screen?

Thanks

Bob McCarthy
14-Feb-2011, 20:34
Yes, I buy mine from screen, but discovered that if your scanning film only, leave out the bottom 2 lamps. That way your lower lamps become replacements for the uppers when they expire.

Bob

Peter De Smidt
14-Feb-2011, 20:43
I think the elite only has 2 bulbs, whereas the standard has 4, but I could be wrong.

mdala
14-Feb-2011, 21:29
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be scanning film only.

Bob, I couldn't find a single contact for scanners at screenusa.com. Looks like they wiped out every single trace of Cezanne or SG8060P scanners on their website. Are they ashamed or something? Anyone I can contact for bulbs there?

Thanks

Bob McCarthy
14-Feb-2011, 21:50
No surprise ere. Scanners always had minimal exposure. I would contact the customer support line and work the queue.

I haven't contacted them in a while. Let me know how it goes.

Bob

Bob McCarthy
14-Feb-2011, 21:56
From site, where I would start

Your interest in Screen (USA) is greatly appreciated. Please take the time to fill out the following form as completely as possible.

You may also feel free to call us at 1-800-372-7737 if have any additional questions.

BTW, I think mine is a remarkable and capable tool.

Bob