PDA

View Full Version : Large Format in Albany NY area

kukzee
8-Feb-2011, 17:46
Does anybody know any place in Albany ny teaching large format photography? Thank you.:)

David Aimone
8-Feb-2011, 18:00
I live in Saratoga and have some ideas. Email me.
David

Ken Lee
8-Feb-2011, 18:39
I live in Western Massachusetts and offer coaching.

David Aimone
8-Feb-2011, 18:47
Ken was on my list (I may get some coaching myself). Katherine Wright at the Troy Photocenter may be able to help too.

eddie
9-Feb-2011, 13:19
i am in kingston NY. come on down!

John Bowen
9-Feb-2011, 16:02
Go see Bruce Barlow and Richard Ritter. They offer numerous LF workshops in Brattleboro, VT and are fabulous folks.

You can find them at www.finefocusworkshops.com

Louie Powell
9-Feb-2011, 17:16
You could probably count the active LF photographers in the Albany area on the fingers of one hand.

Two 'nearby' options include Bruce Barlow & Richard Ritter over in the Brattleboro/Keene area, and Peters Valley Craft Center in northwestern New Jersey (in Delaware Water Gap Recreational Area).

Bob Kerner
9-Feb-2011, 19:22
Eddie is a very gracious ambassador for large format photography.

What are your needs? If you simply want to try out a camera and see if the workflow appeals to you, I'd suggest hooking up with someone here to "kick the tires" before spending money on a multi-day workshop.

I'm not knocking the workshops, mind you. I plan to go to either Vt or Peters Valley this summer.

RichardRitter
10-Feb-2011, 06:44
Do you own a camera?

If not the Tire Kicker workshop at Peters Valley or Fine Focus may be the way to go. All the equipment you need to bring for the workshop is a note book and pen. Full camera setup is provided. The workshop cover everything from working with the camera to developing the film.

cdholden
10-Feb-2011, 07:25

...and beer! :D
I really enjoyed my trip up north last March.
Collodion and Hurricane Kitty. Good times.
Thanks Eddie!

Chris

ajbirdboy
10-Feb-2011, 07:48
I can attest to the value of help from eddie - by the time I met him, I was ready to get out of photography altogether. Since then, I've gone into things and met other photographers I never would have. Its more than worth the hours drive.
Al

kukzee
10-Feb-2011, 12:41
thank you for all of your suggestions:) ,I will do someday when I can drive again ( I am recuperating from a stroke) I use a camera to motivate my hand or use a release cable for taking picture ...

kukzee
14-Feb-2011, 12:37
Got my 4x5 camera, I bought used at keh graded as exc and it came to me as a surprised because it looks brand new, the lens from adorama; take sometimes to figure out how to assemble it, I have to re read the books from Ansel and Steve Simmons and of course this website. my purchased board is for the longer lens not the wide angle (it came with the 4x4 board)I got from Adorama. I managed to put on my non recessed board, and able at least to see an inverted picture. For better focusing I may have to use the tripod (manfrotto 3201) which I bought for my camera canon. Now I found that either I need a wide angle bellow and/or a recessed board since my lens is 90 mm. For exposure meter I intend to use the digital or the Ipod with the appropriate app. The next step is to get a dark cloth for better viewing the ground glass.
The only thing new with me is I discovered the zone system, when I learned b&w photography I did not hear such thing, and since 75 we got cut off from the world for the 10 years until the end of the cold war. After I got here we are too busy for the daily struggle, but with my illness in 2008, (stroke) I took off or rather was kicked out, that give me time to read about painting, photography,calligraphy and large format photography since I always wanted to do landscaping with large format (don't know why). Here my partial dream almost achieved; was the stroke a temporary "detour" in life? At least it gives you time to reflect life...
Hope it will help me take some meaningful pictures.

David Aimone
14-Feb-2011, 13:10
What camera did you end up getting? Depending, a recessed lens board may not be necessary for 90mm.

As far as the zone system, it took a while to really grasp the entire concept, but now it is becoming "normal". I even picked up a zone system timer for my enlarger, dealing in zones instead of purely time/seconds.

There is a lot to learn, but I feel like I've given myself the equivalent of a hands-on college education majoring in view camera over the past one year+

Good luck!

Got my 4x5 camera, I bought used at keh graded as exc and it came to me as a surprised because it looks brand new, the lens from adorama; take sometimes to figure out how to assemble it, I have to re read the books from Ansel and Steve Simmons and of course this website.

Graybeard
14-Feb-2011, 15:01
[QUOTE=Louie Powell;685147]You could probably count the active LF photographers in the Albany area on the fingers of one hand.

More than one hand would be needed, I think.

kukzee
15-Feb-2011, 13:02
I end up buying a used calumet 45n with the 90 mm Angulon lens, end up order a wide bellow from adorama, hope that's it for awhile

gene LaFord
15-Feb-2011, 18:22
There are a few of us LFers in the Springfield, MA area.

I agree Eddie is a great character who loves to talk LF photography.

gene

kukzee
17-Mar-2011, 17:28
Quick question I recently both a prism finder on ebay, I found that there is fungus on the glass, it is safe to put on my camera or there may be a possibility of contamination to my system?
Thank you

rmichaels
20-Mar-2011, 18:38
Re: Large Format in Albany NY area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner
...and beer!
I really enjoyed my trip up north last March.
Collodion and Hurricane Kitty. Good times.
Thanks Eddie!

Chris

Funny, I met Eddie over a beer!