PDA

View Full Version : Oh where to go.

Bob McCarthy
8-Feb-2011, 08:42
In 4x5 I shoot TMax, I'll likely stay there or go to Fuji Across which I used in 120.

In 8x10, I nearly out of my supply of Bergger 200. I was using TMax 400.

Oh where to go next, not a fan of HP5+,

I know nothing of the Efke or Forma product lines. I dont mind slow film if reciprocity is manageable...

I'm thinking FP4, but....

It seems like a good time to think about a change, Ive made very few, TriX for years to TMax and Berger 200 was because of a gift of a box of film.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for my film of the next decade!

bob

Bruce Watson
8-Feb-2011, 09:25
Why change now? I'm using TMY-2 as long as I can get it. When it's no longer available, I'll look for something else. Until then, I'm using the best film I can get.

Gem Singer
8-Feb-2011, 09:26
Ilford FP-4+ is slightly slower than Bergger 200, but the "look" is very similar.

Also, it's readily available in 8x10.

Gem Singer
8-Feb-2011, 09:29
Bruce,

Where do you purchase TMY-2 in 8x10?

Bruce Watson
8-Feb-2011, 13:02
Bruce,

Where do you purchase TMY-2 in 8x10?

http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilm.html

Gem Singer
8-Feb-2011, 14:14
Bruce,

So far, Keith has been able to come up with the number of 8x10 orders in order to satisfy Kodak's minimum.

$6.90 a sheet is a steep price.

Is there any other source of 8x10 TMY-2 in the world?

William McEwen
8-Feb-2011, 15:30
Tri-X.

Michael Kadillak
8-Feb-2011, 21:05
Bruce,

So far, Keith has been able to come up with the number of 8x10 orders in order to satisfy Kodak's minimum.

$6.90 a sheet is a steep price.

Is there any other source of 8x10 TMY-2 in the world?

After the coupon discount it came to $6.20 per sheet. After the recent increase in price for Ilford and Efke/Adox the reality is that given the increased cost of silver in the commodity markets is increasing the cost of admission for conventional silver based photography in ALL formats. We all have a choice as to what venue we chose to produce images and the film/printing paper or digital media that fits our budget or our visual objectives. It is a fact that because of financial considerations these do not necessarily go hand in hand. Currently there are less expensive alternatives to explore but these lower cost options comes at a compromise in other areas. Sometimes it is accepting horrific reciprocity characteristics and dealing with them. Other films can tend to be less than exemplary in the product quality control or in some other visual representation characteristic. Some folks actually favor the lesser costs films for the look that they provide and that is perfectly fine.

I tend to look at the situation from the visual point of view and use the best materials I can acquire that will get me the best print I can make. That said I recognize and appreciate the fact that there are many different takes on this situation. Each of us needs to find the solutions that works for us.

Ari
8-Feb-2011, 21:27
This has a look much like FP4:
http://cgi.ebay.com/25-sheets-SHANGHAI-B-W-8x10-PAN-film-ISO100-TOP-/360338458486?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item53e5d88776#ht_3641wt_1141

jeroldharter
8-Feb-2011, 22:01
TMY-2 (Freestyle/Badger) for 4x5 and 8x10 (Canham) for 8x10.

Keep it simple. Even if the film is pricey, you save time and money on your familiarity with its use.

Gem Singer
8-Feb-2011, 22:29
Michael,

I totally agree with your line if reasoning and usually follow it.

You and I are fortunate enough to be able to afford the very best.

However, not everybody is as affluent as we are.

Twenty years ago, I attempted to master Kodak T-Max 100, without success.

Switched to Ilford HP-5+ and have been using it ever since.

I'm just beginning to experiment with Kodak TMY-2 in 120 roll film.

My developer of choice is Pyrocat-HD.

Merg Ross
8-Feb-2011, 23:25
I'm just beginning to experiment with Kodak TMY-2 in 120 roll film.

My developer of choice is Pyrocat-HD.

Hi Gem,

I think that you will like the combination.

And, thank you for introducing me to Pyrocat-HD!

Merg

John Kasaian
8-Feb-2011, 23:58
In 4x5 I shoot TMax, I'll likely stay there or go to Fuji Across which I used in 120.

In 8x10, I nearly out of my supply of Bergger 200. I was using TMax 400.

Oh where to go next, not a fan of HP5+,

I know nothing of the Efke or Forma product lines. I dont mind slow film if reciprocity is manageable...

I'm thinking FP4, but....

It seems like a good time to think about a change, Ive made very few, TriX for years to TMax and Berger 200 was because of a gift of a box of film.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for my film of the next decade!

bob

I started out with TMY in 8x10. It is a very fine film if you can afford it(and if those 10sheet boxes don't drive you nuts!) If and when Acros and Delta are available in 8x10 I think those would be alternatives you may want to consider.
I enjoy working with conventional grained films such as HP-5+ and FP-4+. Fomapan 100/Arista.eduUltra is a very nice film as is Efke PL25. On 8x10 I find that grain is a non-issue, so I keep a selection of film on hand and match the film to the subject and lighting. Lately thats been HP-5+ for me, but you may prefer FP-4+. Reciprocity I find is very managable

Brian C. Miller
9-Feb-2011, 01:00
Well, Acros 100 8x10 is available from Japan (link (http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=30)), but it is quite pricey, and dependent on the yen-dollar exchange. At this moment a box would cost $161, so $8/sheet. Then add shipping.

Freestyle has Ilford Delta 100 in 8x10 (link (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1743490-Ilford-Delta-Pro-100-iso-8x10-25-sheets?cat_id=404)). Is that what you were looking for?