PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Zone IV tripod for 8x10

Dave Anton
18-Jan-2000, 19:18
I am considering buying a Zone VI wooden tripod for an 8x10 and I would like any opinions on this tripod vs. an aluminum one. If I was to use it in humid clima tes, would i run into problems with warping?

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
18-Jan-2000, 20:31
Are you buying this used? I had though Calumet stopped making/selling Zone VI sticks?

I would have no problem recommending wood or carbon fiber over aluminum in cold or wet climates/conditions. Ries and their ilk have been around since photography began. I am currently using aluminum Bogen sticks because I got them second hand at a very good price, but if I could afford 'em I'd be using a Ries single tilt head on an older wooden film/video tripod with ball & socket mount.

FWIW the largest Bromwell sticks, although heavy are a very good value.

Michael Kadillak
18-Jan-2000, 23:13
I seriously doubt that any normal environmental situation will affect the performance of any tripod from a major distributor. However, if you are going to be knee deep in salt water on a consistent basis, contact the manufacturer for specific recommendations they may have for you. Along these lines, I think that Clyde Butcher uses a wooden tripod for his wide angle 8 x 10 shots of the Florida Coast waist deep in the lagoon.

A long time ago someone offered me a piece of advice about tripods. I found an opportunity to take my 8 x 10 camera to a nearby dealer that had several new and used offerings of both wood and aluminum. Try the tripod and head combinations with your camera as though you were preparing to make a photograph. I guarantee that one of them will feel real good.

Once I set up on the Ries it was all over. I found it to be the most solid and versatile platform for my 8 x 10. The double tilt head is fantastic. I also like the locking legs and the workmanship. The Zone VI seems like a cheap imitation to me. The Ries cost a little bit more, but is worth every bit in my opinion.

Good Luck

Doug Paramore
19-Jan-2000, 10:13
Dave: The Zone IV is a surveyors tripod and is made for use outdoors without problems. Drive by any road construction site and you can probably spot several of those tripods with surveyor transits mounted on them. They are usually painted yellow or bright orange, but it is still the same tripod. Wooden tripods need to be waxed occasionally to keep them working smoothly and to keep out moisture. I have one but seldom use it because of the weight. With the big Bogen head on it that is one heavy sucker. It is sturdy and locks down solid. Mine never shakes or vibrates with the 8x10 on it. If you can handle the weight, it is a good tripod. Doug.

Sergio Ortega
19-Jan-2000, 11:56
Dave,

The previous poster is right on the mark. The Zone VI tripod (the regular versi on, not the so-called lightweight model) is nothing more than a surveyor's tripo d, without the bright orange paint. I've had one for years, for use with 8x10 a nd 12x20. I've also had the lightweight model for nearly fifteen years.

The regular version is really a heavy and clumsy beast, but extremely solid and durable. The spiked feet alone probably have more metal than most other entire tripods. I've used it in swamps, streams, snow, ice, sand, rocks, etc. Never a problem of any kind. I just cannot seem to wear it out. Though, unless you h ave a strong pack mule, don't expect to carry it very far. About a hundred yard s is my limit.

The lightweight model is much more manageable, yet also very strong and equally durable. It will handle up to 8x10 with no problem. Its design is not based on a surveryor's tripod, it looks a bit more "photographic", like something LF pho tographers used in the 19th century.

Yet both models look absolutely crude in comparison to the Ries tripods. If I h ad it to do over again today I'd get the Ries. But like I said before, I just c annot wear out these Zone VIs.

I don't know if all this amounts to a recommendation. Good luck, Sergio.

Dave Anton
19-Jan-2000, 19:22
Thanks to everyone for their contribution. I have decided to buy one. I saw a used one in excellent condition (and with a 3-way head on it!) for $120 bucks. Dave.

Peggy Dorstewitz
29-May-2001, 15:00
We offer a truly versatile tripod. All steel construction. Light-weight., Portable, adjustable. less than 12 lbs. accessories available for anchoring on any terrain, pavement included. trupoint.com

Deane Johnson
21-Oct-2007, 17:37
I use the heavy Zone VI with the heavy Bogen head with an 8X10 Deardorff and it's solid and stable. If you can handle the weight, it's industrial strength solid. My tripod is the old original reddish color, which means I purchased it in the 1970's.

John Bowen
22-Oct-2007, 02:33
Allow me to interject one additional consideration. I'm 6'6" and the lightweight Zone VI tripod just wasn't high enough for me. My back was killing me! With the Heavyweight Zone VI tripod, the leg extension was plenty sufficient to allow my back some relief while under the focusing cloth. However, as others have pointed out, the weight of this beast is considerable. It's not for long hikes.

I've recently discovered that the Ries J model is available with 8" extensions. I ordered one and just love it. Much lighter than the Zone VI and plenty of leg extension for a tall photographer. The Ries is very comfortable with my Ritter 7x17 mounted on it.

Michael Graves
22-Oct-2007, 05:04
I had a Zone VI and sold it in favor of a Berlebach 3042. The Z6 was a good tripd, but it was VI pounds heavier (pun intended) and the lack of any leg locks made it difficult for an old man like me to manage. I love the Berlebach and it works quite nicely with my Toyo 810M.

j.e.simmons
22-Oct-2007, 07:08
I have the Zone VI standard model and use it with the Orbit version of the C-1. I like it a great deal. However, the Bogen head wasn't sufficient for this heavy camera and I replaced the head with a Majestic. I use the tripod in Florida where it's humid all the time. It's frequently in water, salt, brackish and fresh, and I've never had any problem with warping.
juan

Amund BLix Aaeng
22-Oct-2007, 12:44
I`m sure the opening poster have figured it out by now, as it`s close to eight years since he posted this ;)

Mark Sampson
22-Oct-2007, 12:46
And someone, in the meantime, has posted a review on the front page of this very site.

Deane Johnson
22-Oct-2007, 13:34
I think I'm the one who made the dumb move of answering an eight year old question. I did a search for Zone VI tripods trying to get an idea what they were worth so I can sell one, saw the post and answered it without looking at the date. Live and learn.

Vaughn
22-Oct-2007, 15:15
I think I'm the one who made the dumb move of answering an eight year old question. I did a search for Zone VI tripods trying to get an idea what they were worth so I can sell one, saw the post and answered it without looking at the date. Live and learn.

Been there and done that! ( But I still love my big Reis and double-tilt head!)

Vaughn