PDA

View Full Version : What's needed to convert an enlarger to 5x7?

Scott --
7-Feb-2011, 14:00
Hi, all -

I have a chance to pick up an old working Rajah enlarger. Looks to be 4x5, but there's a wooden insert in the top end of the bellows; removing that might allow a home-built 5x7 holder. The bellows extend to 24"; is that enough to enlarge 5x7? What FL lens would be needed? Anyone ever do something like this? I'm outta my experience on this one.

Thanks,
Scott

Vlad Soare
7-Feb-2011, 14:22
The bellows of my 5x7" enlarger extend approximately 8 inches, and the lens mount for 210mm lenses is 6-1/8 inches high, making the total extension a little over 14". So I'd say that your 24" should be more than enough.
Lenses for 5x7" start at 180mm, with 210mm being the most common.
My biggest worry would be the light source. If it wasn't designed to cover 5x7", it may not be too easy to convert.

ic-racer
7-Feb-2011, 14:56
5x7 enlargers with condenser heads show up on ebay all the time.

As mentioned by Vlad, A 4x5 to 5x7 conversion's biggest issue will be the light source. There are people that already have 5x7 enlargers who are looking for good 5x7 dichroic light sources. The Chromega E head was made in USA, but its rare as hen's teeth. Good luck finding a Durst CLS1000 head in Pennsylvania :)

The Durst 5x7 (138) condenser heads can be found in the USA, but usually attached to a free 138 enlarger :)

Shadowtracker
2-Apr-2011, 20:06
I have two 4x5 enlargers that are not in use and was just thinking I might be able to convert one to a 5x7. The light source was my primary concern. I'm just starting to do some looking into this. My darkroom is small, but there is room for two enlargers in there, three if I turn one of them, but that takes work space away. Any info about something like this would be good to have though. I have metal-working skills, I'm not terrible at carpentry, and I do ok with electricity and some electronics; I don't think the skill level should be too bad to convert something. Of course, the devil is in the details.

ic-racer
10-Apr-2011, 22:05
Four Durst 5x7 enlargers on ebay now.