PDA

View Full Version : Used or Ab-used?

onnect17
7-Feb-2011, 11:29
I found this listing on eBay and I wonder how could somebody manage to get a lens in such condition. Using it as a hammer, perhaps?

rob
7-Feb-2011, 11:33
Missile testing, perhaps?

Steven Tribe
7-Feb-2011, 11:37
Sent by UPS, perhaps!

Seriously, I have seen many worse!

Moopheus
7-Feb-2011, 11:56
Cat toy.

cdholden
7-Feb-2011, 11:58
Buy an old lens and get creative. It could help with your anger management too.

Richard Wasserman
7-Feb-2011, 12:14
It looks a bit like my 110 XL after some nut on a bicycle crashed into my camera/tripod knocking it over, and it of course landed on the lens.

Ari
7-Feb-2011, 12:45
If it belonged to Uri Geller, the damage was done telepathically.

Jack Dahlgren
7-Feb-2011, 13:11
I found this listing on eBay and I wonder how could somebody manage to get a lens in such condition. Using it as a hammer, perhaps?

A perfect example of why they invented filter rings.

W K Longcor
7-Feb-2011, 13:16
It probably belonged to some government agency. Years ago, I was in a situation where I was able to buy "government surplus" for a non-profit org. Most of the camera equipment ( which the government paid WAY TO MUCH for) looked like it had been dragged behind a vehicle down a rocky road! Hey, the guy using it didn't pay for it so why should he care?

domaz
7-Feb-2011, 14:06
To think if the owner had kept a UV filter on it all the time the lens would have probably been just fine and perfect today <sic>

Robert Hughes
7-Feb-2011, 15:02
It looks like an old Eyemo mount movie camera lens. Bell & Howell Model 71 Eyemo (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Eyemo)'s are spring driven, WW2 era 35mm newsreel cams, commonly used nowadays as "crash cameras" in Hollywood: they are bolted to cars for POV shots as the autos are driven off cliffs, run into speeding trains, etc. I've got one of those cameras, it took some serious body English to bend it back into usable shape. And that lens condition looks par for the course...
http://www.canadianfilm.com/cafu/images/norm_shooting_csc.jpg

eddie
7-Feb-2011, 15:47
i dropped my nikon f100 with lens attached way back in Myanmar. the filter smashed sending shards into the glass. it pitted the glass. i wonder if it would have been better with no filter....or worse. i still use it to this day....almost everyday. 6 years later.

Len Middleton
7-Feb-2011, 16:14
i dropped my nikon f100 with lens attached way back in Myanmar. the filter smashed sending shards into the glass. it pitted the glass. i wonder if it would have been better with no filter....or worse. i still use it to this day....almost everyday. 6 years later.

eddie,

But the filter ring on the lens wasn't bent, was it?

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2011, 16:21
Looks like it was an aerial recon lens on a plane that crashed. 35 Biogon should cover 6X6 right?

onnect17
8-Feb-2011, 19:36
The guy selling is located in Poland. I would post the link to the auction site but I'm sure someone here in forum will complain to the moderator.

Frank Petronio
8-Feb-2011, 20:33
No, eBay links are fine, this isn't photo.net.

It probably was mounted on an airplane.

Hope it wasn't more than $40, even being a rarer 35/2.8 Zeiss Biogon.