PDA

View Full Version : iPod App: Is there one that does it all?

Jay Decker
5-Feb-2011, 21:22
Been looking for an iPod App that does it all for LF photography... here's what on my wish list:

1. Depth of field calculator
2. Reciprocity failure correction
3. Bellow extension correction
4. Scheimpflug calculator
5. Exposure record log with text, voice, GPS, and iPod camera photo data input

That list looks a little short... got to be missing something on my list. What would you add?

Is there any iPod App that does it all, or even comes close? I'd even pay for one App that does it all.

Bob Salomon
6-Feb-2011, 02:19
Filter factors

msk2193
6-Feb-2011, 04:31
Cannot find Filter Factors in the App Store, but I almost always use:

PhotoCalc for depth of field and flash power setting calculations.

Viewfinder Pro. Preset your lenses in the app, and it shows the area of coverage area as you point the iPhone towards the subject.

MagicHour for outdoor and landscapes photography.

Marek Warunkiewicz
6-Feb-2011, 05:13
Filter factors, yes and I would like to see an app where you can mark where you took your Zone readings, shadow, mid and highlight readings with the exposures. Ideally you would take these readings with your iPhone and it would tell you your exposure and push-pull developing times.

Arne Croell
6-Feb-2011, 07:53
All, unfortunately not. Exposure log etc. is possible with the PhotoTools app, by our own Lenny Eiger. I do like the Photographers Ephemeris, similar to Magic Hour I guess, it uses Google earth maps overlaid with sun and moon rise and setting directions.

engl
6-Feb-2011, 09:03
What exactly does a "Scheimpflug calculator" do, and where can I find information about these calculations? Find the tilt angle for two objects with known distance and location in the frame? Find the angle of near and far DOF planes?

I'm considering starting app development for a photography toolbox suitable for LF photography. I have good resources on most of the features that I'd like or have seen requested, but I have never used a calculator when doing tilts, I only look at the GG.

Brian Ellis
6-Feb-2011, 09:31
I don't mean to be critical of anyone who uses technology to advance his or her photography. I used a pocket computer for years myself with the BTZS system of exposure and development.

But it seems to me that most of the things mentioned here can be done faster, moe conveniently, and just as well without an iPod app. Filter factors become committed to memory just from use and aren't all that accurate anyhow. Depth of field can often be determined just by looking at the ground glass or, better yet IMHO, by using the method of determining optimum aperture that's the subject of QT Luong's article on the home page of this forum. With a little experience bellows compensation can be estimated closely enough just by looking at the bellows or by using any of several popular rules of thumb that are based on subject distance and lens focal length. Scheimpflug positions can be determined accurately enough just by looking at the subject and the camera. "Push-pull development times" don't need to be known at the time the photograph is made.

Again, if anyone feels the need for an iPod app more power to them. This just strikes me as a case where technology gets in the way of doing something that can be done faster, more conveniently, and just as well without it.

Arne Croell
6-Feb-2011, 10:01
I don't mean to be critical of anyone who uses technology to advance his or her photography. I used a pocket computer for years myself with the BTZS system of exposure and development.

But it seems to me that most of the things mentioned here can be done faster, moe conveniently, and just as well without an iPod app. Filter factors become committed to memory just from use and aren't all that accurate anyhow. Depth of field can often be determined just by looking at the ground glass or, better yet IMHO, by using the method of determining optimum aperture that's the subject of QT Luong's article on the home page of this forum. With a little experience bellows compensation can be estimated closely enough just by looking at the bellows or by using any of several popular rules of thumb that are based on subject distance and lens focal length. Scheimpflug positions can be determined accurately enough just by looking at the subject and the camera. "Push-pull development times" don't need to be known at the time the photograph is made.

Again, if anyone feels the need for an iPod app more power to them. This just strikes me as a case where technology gets in the way of doing something that can be done faster, more conveniently, and just as well without it.
Brian, I agree with all your points. Where I think it can be helpful (but is not absolutely necessary) is taking notes in the field with a well designed app and the sunrise/sunset etc. applications. I used to have a program for my old Palm III for note taking, where after a trip everything got downloaded into a Word table that already corresponded to the 4x5 sheets in their folder page. Oh well, its long gone...
A downside of all those modern units is that one relies on battery power, so their use is limited to dayhikes (yes I know there are solar chargers etc., but thats an additional item to take), and they do not take AAA's any more like my Palm did.

Nathan Potter
6-Feb-2011, 10:12
Brian, these apps can be quite handy but I will say Depth Of Field/Scheimpflug adjustments are very critical to get just right. If you're fussy about focus you'll always be stuck using a loupe on the GG and tweaking the focus into place even at reduced apertures. In which case the calculator becomes almost irrelevant; so in my experience I agree with you.

Probably some value in using the apps for those with limited experience in what to expect in actual field situations. They provide a handy guide to capabilities.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

engl
6-Feb-2011, 10:18
If you already know it all you are not in the target audience for such an application. Not everyone does though.

Personally, I have never needed to correct for bellows extension, since my subjects are typically far away, and I have not been shooting LF for very long. The day I find something I want to take a close up photo of, I'd appreciate having a calculator that tells me how to correct for bellows extension. If I kept taking shots like that, I'm sure I'd develop the ability to estimate just by looking at the bellows, like you describe.

You mention that filter factors eventually get memorized. What about before they are memorized? Same goes for reciprocity correction, I remember approximate corrections for some of the film I own, but not all.

Keeping track of sunrise/sunset direction and time is not easily done without an app, at least not when travelling.

Having a helping app does not mean shutting down your brain and refusing to learn anything, it is just a tool you use when needed.

Bob Salomon
6-Feb-2011, 10:29
What exactly does a "Scheimpflug calculator" do, and where can I find information about these calculations? Find the tilt angle for two objects with known distance and location in the frame? Find the angle of near and far DOF planes?

I'm considering starting app development for a photography toolbox suitable for LF photography. I have good resources on most of the features that I'd like or have seen requested, but I have never used a calculator when doing tilts, I only look at the GG.

The opposite side of this pocket sized calculator calcultaes DOF for all formats from 35mm to 8x10. Rodenstock also made these for Linhof, Sinar and Arca.

Jay Decker
6-Feb-2011, 11:23
... Having a helping app does not mean shutting down your brain and refusing to learn anything, it is just a tool you use when needed.

In my specific situation, I started shooting LF a year and half ago. Started shooting portraits with soft focus lenses on an 8x10 Kodak 2D, which does not have a lot of movements. While stumbling long, I've added refinements/corrections to my repertoire. Most of refinements have been rules of thumb, e.g., at head shot portrait distances I add a half-stop to a stop for bellows correction, add stops for filter factor, and add little back swing to bring both eyes into focus. The most technical thing I've done is dropped the bed a little and used a little tilt to keep the plane between the eyes and breasts of my subject in focus - this was done totally by guess and by golly. As I've incorporated rules of thumb and my LF photography has improved.

However, doing things totally by rule of thumb has drawbacks. For example, I was shooting in a forested area near dusk recently in beautiful low light, my exposure reading after applying a couple rule of thumb corrections was about three minutes, and I had no clue what the reciprocity correction should be for FP4+; I guessed two stops, exposed 12 minutes, and my negative is thin. Since the light was fading, it would have been nice to be able to start the exposure and then check the reciprocity correction with some sort of tool.

In my limited experience, when I'm within a certain envelope, the rules of thumb I've picked up treat me well. However, when get outside that envelope, e.g., long exposures, magnification greater than 1:1, and significant camera movements, it would be nice to have one tool that could be used to help out where the rules of thumb breakdown, but where photographic technology is available to help us out.

engl
6-Feb-2011, 13:01
The opposite side of this pocket sized calculator calcultaes DOF for all formats from 35mm to 8x10. Rodenstock also made these for Linhof, Sinar and Arca.

Interesting, thank you. Now I know what the desired result is, finding the theory behind calculating the angle seems like something I'd look into once I've got the simpler parts of my application working :)

revdocjim
7-Feb-2011, 07:24
I have DOFaster and TPE (The Photographer's Ephemeris) on my iPod. Frankly, the DOF calculator doesn't get much use, but I find TPE to be a wonderful little app, although I am far more likely to use it at home the night before going out, than when I am in the field.

sultanofcognac
14-Feb-2011, 03:12
I use the TPE religiously, as I often shoot at dusk or with the stars - as I will again next week. I have it on my iPad, where it's easy to read and convenient to use.
Viewfinder Pro helps for taking a preview shot with my iPhone before I drag out my LF kit.
Dev Chart is perfect in the darkroom (read: my kitchen with Paterson Orbital)
Filter Calc helps since I don't often use filters.

There is also an App called Easy Release - it gives me the option to have photo releases in a variety of languages where the model just 'signs' right on the iPad. I live in France and Switzerland and deal with four or five languages at any time.

I think the iPhone and iPad are great tools to help give me more time to shoot and not worry about paper notes.

To me LF photography is a labour of love to which one must devote time and have patience. When I reach the location to shoot I take the time to view the surroundings and often just sit and relax first. This time I also use to pull out the Apps I feel will help me with the shot.

ldhayden
15-Feb-2011, 14:12
I use PhotoTools (http://www.phototoolspro.com/) by Lenny Eiger and team. It's been very helpful for me in recording my notes. While it would be easy to jot things down on a notebook/notepad I find the detail in the application actually makes up for my woefully inadequate note taking while in the field.

It's also a good backup on exposure if I'm questioning my reasoning for what I want to accomplish. For anyone struggling with exposure I could see it being really useful to gain a better understanding of their exposures.

It probably doesn't do everything but what it does it does well.

- Not affiliated with Lenny in anyway but really like the product.

Lachlan 717
15-Feb-2011, 14:52
I use PhotoTools (http://www.phototoolspro.com/) by Lenny Eiger and team. It's been very helpful for me in recording my notes. While it would be easy to jot things down on a notebook/notepad I find the detail in the application actually makes up for my woefully inadequate note taking while in the field.

It's also a good backup on exposure if I'm questioning my reasoning for what I want to accomplish. For anyone struggling with exposure I could see it being really useful to gain a better understanding of their exposures.

It probably doesn't do everything but what it does it does well.

- Not affiliated with Lenny in anyway but really like the product.

I used Photobuddy for a while, but ended up getting sick of the stupid way it interfaced (had to relearn it each time I wanted to use it as it seemed unintuitive to navigate.

Before I got to this point, however, I did get in touch with its developer and had him add a Zone Recording option. This was simply a screen that let you take a photo (iPhone) of a scene and drag/drop Zone markers onto the image, thus recording your exposure details. See attached.

I sent this idea off to Lenny at Phototools, but heard nothing back. It is the only thing stopping me from getting this App. Perhaps it's there, but it is not shown on their App page.