PDA

View Full Version : Why are my new posts suppressed?

Leigh
5-Feb-2011, 13:57
Whenever I'm the last poster in a thread, that thread does not show up in the "New Posts" search.

Why not?

For example, I just started a new thread.
It does not show up in New Posts.
Someone responded.
It does show up in New Posts.
I replied.
It does not show up in New Posts.

This makes no sense. It's "new", in the sense that it contains new information, so why is it being suppressed.

This is not a "default" action by the vBulletin software. I'm on other fora that use the same software and this problem does not occur.

I'm not taking this personally. I assume the same thing happens to everyone.

- Leigh

Juergen Sattler
5-Feb-2011, 14:00
Because you are the author - it's the same for everyone. When you look at New Posts, the software will not take your own posts into consideration - sort of like "you should know what you posted last and therefore no need to show you your own posts".

Leigh
5-Feb-2011, 14:03
Hi Juergen,

Yes, I understand what's going on. That's not the question.

I like to read my posts after they go up, to make sure the text flows properly, means what I intended, that I didn't make a typo, etc.

There's absolutely no excuse for suppressing the author's posts. This is not a default setting on vBulletin. I'm active on many other sites that use vBulletin, and none of them do this.

The site administrator had to set the option intentionally. My point is that the setting should be changed.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Gary Beasley
5-Feb-2011, 14:24
The software sees that you have looked at it already so it doesn't consider it a new post. Go to Quick links and click on todays posts and you will get what you want. You also have the option of previewing your entry before actually posting it.

Lachlan 717
5-Feb-2011, 14:37
The software sees that you have looked at it already so it doesn't consider it a new post.

Gary,

Shouldn't your post then appear in the part under the "Threads Already Read" demarcation? Doesn't on mine.

My concern is the way that this site seems to randomly fail to bring up any posts when using Apple Internet-viewing software. A real PITA when you have to read new posts/threads via the"Mark Forums Read" button!

Leigh
5-Feb-2011, 14:39
Hi Gary,

I realize that.

But it doesn't address the original question of an improper option setting on the part of the admin. As I said before, it's not a default for the vBulletin software.

The term "new" has a temporal quality. If something is more recent than the last delimiting timestamp, then it's "new".

- Leigh

BrianShaw
5-Feb-2011, 16:00
Try looking in "Todays Posts" rather than "New Posts"

Marko
5-Feb-2011, 16:57
It does not appear in chronological order (Last Posted) under Unified View either.

This is a relatively recent behaviour, last month or so, and it definitely wasn't like this before.

Sounds like the global settings were changed without an announcement. Not the end of the world, but it is annoying.

Marko
5-Feb-2011, 17:05
To clarify, when I made the previous post and then hit "Unified View", I would expect the thread with my post to show up sorted chronologically, with my post as last posted and the thread marked as read (by me).

What happened instead was that the thread showed marked as read (correct), with my post as last made (correct) but still listed behind other threads last modified earlier than that (incorrect).

This is wrong, IMO, because it overrides the standard and expected behaviour. The most recent post is the most recent post and should be listed as such, regardless of the author and/or whether it's been read or not.

Wayne
5-Feb-2011, 17:25
Having a hard time understanding what the fuss is about. Maybe I'm oblivious but I havent noticed anything different, and certainly not anything "suppressive, improper or wrong". But I'll look more closely when I post this.

Wayne
5-Feb-2011, 17:29
Hmpph. It appeared not at all in New Posts (which doesnt bother me in the slightest, since I've seen it already), and it was right where it should be and in correct order in Unified View. Well good luck with this problem, whatever it is...

Winger
5-Feb-2011, 18:57
"New" means "unread". When you post, it automatically shows the whole thread - including your post. (If you want to check it, do so then.) Because it shows you the whole thread, it considers you to have read that latest post and therefore, it is NOT new.

Leigh
5-Feb-2011, 19:03
"New" means "unread".
Nope.

Threads that I've read but not posted to still show up in the New Posts search, but they're not shown in bold font.

- Leigh

BrianShaw
5-Feb-2011, 20:25
...behaviour...

Hey Marko... did you have your pinkie finger extended when you typed that, or were you just wearing your finest cravat? :p

I'm drinking tea at the moment and it makes me feel very conforted. :D

BrianShaw
5-Feb-2011, 20:28
That post jumped this thread top the top of the Unified view, but was definitely not at the top of the New Post view. Maybe there is a content analysis filter and only interesting posts get to the New Post list.

Marko
5-Feb-2011, 21:36
I'm drinking tea at the moment and it makes me feel very conforted. :D

Goodness, could that have been Irish Tea by any chance? :D

mdm
6-Feb-2011, 00:23
I never knew about the new posts link, all this time. Now I understand.

Winger
6-Feb-2011, 09:21
Nope.

Threads that I've read but not posted to still show up in the New Posts search, but they're not shown in bold font.

- Leigh

I only get threads in different fonts if I use "unified view" not "new posts". If use "new posts", any thread that I've read all of will not show up. I also get a line across separating those that have posts that aren't new since my last visit, but still unread.
Maybe our browsers handle some of it differently?

rdenney
6-Feb-2011, 18:41
Maybe our browsers handle some of it differently?

Not just some browsers, but some computer configurations, I think. When I view the forum on one of my home computers, it will show every thread I've read in an unbolded font. But the same browser (Firefox)--even the same version--on my laptop (which uses the same ISP) will show that thread still in boldface. My iPhone's Safari browser acts the same as that first computer, no matter where I am. I have never been able to figure out why my upstairs computer works differently than my basement laptop. I suspect it's a different cookie setting--that's how the forum software knows what I have and haven't read, I suspect.

When I post, that post always shows immediately, and I proof it at that time. But until someone else posts in that thread, that thread will no longer show when I press New Posts--that button only shows posts that are unread. But what the software considers new resets itself after a while, and not based completely on what I've seen. After reading "new posts", I always check to make sure I've read threads in which I've responded, in case I've missed any subsequent conversation, but searching for threads that contain my name. I nearly always see a thread or two that I'd missed in New Posts. Unified view probably shows everything, and that's probably what I should use instead of new posts.

Rick "with data points, not complaints" Denney

Bob McCarthy
7-Feb-2011, 05:54
Hi Juergen,

Yes, I understand what's going on. That's not the question.

I like to read my posts after they go up, to make sure the text flows properly, means what I intended, that I didn't make a typo, etc.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Leigh, until you get this sorted, I might suggest you use "preview post" next to submit button. If you're using "quick post", hitting the advanced button will bring up preview button.

Just a thought.

Bob

Leigh
7-Feb-2011, 12:41
Hi Bob,

Yes, I'm familiar with the preview function, and use it sometimes.

I always proofread my posts before they go up.

What really pi$$sed me off, and started this thread, was that I wanted to add a comment to a post that I'd just made, i.e. edit the post, and I was not able to find it.

There's absolutely no excuse for running a board this way.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Roger Thoms
7-Feb-2011, 12:57
You might try your history button on your web browser to find a your recent posts.

As far as the new post button I think it works perfect, last thing I want to see is a one of my posts or one I have read.

Roger

Kirk Gittings
7-Feb-2011, 13:53

Absolutely priceless.

When you hit Post Quick Reply or Submit Post you immediaty see your post as posted. You can't review it then? If you hit Unified View it shows up at the top if it is the last post. You can't find it then? You can make a link in your browser from the My Posts button. You can go to your history page etc. etc. etc.

Sal Santamaura
7-Feb-2011, 14:43
...There's absolutely no excuse for running a board this way...

Absolutely priceless...Yes, Leigh's participation in this bulletin board system carries no monetary price to him. And his complaint after being registered a couple of months, which stems from apparent unwillingness to consistently use the "Preview Post" function, and has "really pi$$sed him off," should be valued just as highly. :)

Sal Santamaura
7-Feb-2011, 14:45
I suggest everyone use this as your bookmark/favorite for the LF Forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=30

It will provide all posts in all categories for the last 30 days in reverse chronological order. It's my home page.

cdholden
7-Feb-2011, 14:58
Yes, Leigh's participation in this bulletin board system carries no monetary price to him. And his complaint after being registered a couple of months, which stems from apparent unwillingness to consistently use the "Preview Post" function, and has "really pi$$sed him off," should be valued just as highly. :)

Sal,
Don't forget... there's always the guarantee to fall back on:
"If not completely satisfied, you can request your money back."

Chris

Wayne
7-Feb-2011, 17:14
Hi Bob,

Yes, I'm familiar with the preview function, and use it sometimes.

I always proofread my posts before they go up.

What really pi$$sed me off, and started this thread, was that I wanted to add a comment to a post that I'd just made, i.e. edit the post, and I was not able to find it.

Thanks.

- Leigh

So long, its been good to know you, so long its been good to know you...