PDA

View Full Version : Scanned some 8X10 today...

Randy
4-Feb-2011, 18:37
This may have been addressed here before but here is my experience - I have just a little of this film left, Arista ISO 125. It is a few years old and the notch is one large "U", so I don't know what it is. Foma? Ilford? Something else?

Anyway, I scanned a recently processed neg (emulsion side down) on my Epson 4990 and got newton rings all over the place. I gave up and dug out a couple older negs, also Arista 125, but with two small "U",s as the notch. I scanned one, emulsion down also, and not a single newton ring. It was then that I realized that the second neg had a very obvious matte appearance to the emulsion side, where as with the 1st neg, it was hard to distinguish the base side from the emulsion side due to the glossy appearance of the emulsion side.

Conclusion - if I am going to continue to scan my LF negs in the future, and if I don't want to spend $ on anti-newton ring glass, I need to make sure I only use film that has a "matte" appearance to the emulsion side.

Does that sound reasonable? If so, can anyone tell me if the current crop of Arista 8X10 film has an obvious matte appearance to the emulsion side after processing? If not, I need some advice on film. I am about to run empty and I really don't even want to shoot up what I have left if I can't scan it.

I just purchased a box of the CXS Green Latitude X-ray film. Can anyone advise me on the emulsion appearance of it? I am hoping it has a matte appearance, otherwise I may have wasted $40.

Help.

Andrew O'Neill
4-Feb-2011, 19:29
The Arista 125 is probably Ilford FP4. I do use the green latitude xray film, which has emulsion on both sides. They are matte. Most films that I have used the emulsion side is matte when compared to the non-emulsion side. Have you ever tried wet mounting when scanning?

Peter Gomena
4-Feb-2011, 23:14
Tri-X.

Peter Gomena