PDA

View Full Version : Plaubel Peco Jr 6x9. Good ?

tweenkle
3-Feb-2011, 17:34
Hi.

I saw a near mint Plaubel Peco Jr kit with two 6x9 rollfims and 3 lenses (Angulon 6.8/65mm, Angulon 6.8/120mm & Tessar 6.3/21cm).

Does anybody own such a gear ? What do you think of it for a beginner ?

Does it make sense to start with a 6x9 at the time when we can find a lot of used 4x5 cameras ?

I guess there is no Graflock back. So should I forget to put a polaroid back (Fuji) ?

Thanks.

Leigh
3-Feb-2011, 20:06
I have a full-size (4x5) Plaubel Peco. It's a very nice camera. Quite well made and sturdy, as is typical of German products.

However, being German, it can be difficult to find accessories here in the States. I don't know where you are.

Having 6x9 processed and scanned would be much less expensive than 4x5. I don't know if that's a major consideration.

- Leigh

Kuzano
3-Feb-2011, 21:44
Why would you restrict yourself from the larger 4X5 format by using a Medium Format restricted camera that's very near as big and complex as the 4X5 units. There are so many more convenient and lighter ways to shoot Medium Format.

Now some figures for you.

6X9 neg/transparency area is 4704 sq mm.
4X5 neg/transparency area is 11,400 sq mm.

That makes 4X5 2.4 times larger than what the Plaubel Peco 6X9 can shoot.

You can easily shoot 120 roll film up to 6X12 with the proper roll film back on a 4X5, but not on that Plaubel.

The Plaubel is a nice and quality built camera, with many geared movements, BUT
it's certainly more capable in the 4X5 version previously mentioned.

Once you see Medium Format images, you'll be Sold...... and soon looking for a camera that can shoot the larger negatives without carrying much more than you are currently considering.

My vote... pass. Get a 4X5. I suspect you're here because you're interested in Large Format... which 6X9 is not.

Overall, you can do so much more with a grown up 4X5, than the camera you are considering.

Kuzano
4-Feb-2011, 23:05
If you are still considering the Plaubel 6X9, there is currently one on eBay with a Buy It now price.

At the very least, you can get an idea how much one owner thinks the camera is worth. That is NOT necessarily a true indicator, unless you follow the auction and see:

1) if it sells
2) if it gets the asking price

Here is the link... The asking BIN is $699.00 but I'd be surprised if it sells for that much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAUBEL-PECO-JUNIOR-FORMAT-RED-BELLOWS-VIEW-CAMERA-RARE-/350386146153?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item5194a44b69

rdenney
4-Feb-2011, 23:28
I nearly bought a Peco Junior kit 7 or 8 years ago for about a thousand bucks with a nice collection of lenses and several roll-film holders. It was nicely made and worked quite well. I wasn't quite quick enough. But in the end I'm glad someone else beat me to it.

The ebay Peco Junior is an example. If it sells for $500 (less than the Buy It Now price), it will still be more expensive than, say, a used Sinar F. And the one on ebay does not come with the needed roll-film holders, unless you want to use 2x3 cut film--and doing that will create a whole new set of issues.

A used Sinar F is a newer, more flexible and modular design, and at any given time there are pages and pages of Sinar accessories on ebay. It is bigger than the Peco Junior in use, but it packs smaller and is no heavier.

You can always put a roll-film holder on a 4x5 camera (up to 6x12), and Fujiroid is simple. But a 6x9 view camera will never accommodate 4x5 film and I don't think there are any 6x9 holders for current Fuji pack films.

Smaller formats are more demanding of camera precision, but I've been able to make the Sinar work fine with a 47mm lens, so that isn't a problem with that camera. The Peco Junior has more geared movements because of that.

Rick "whose Sinar can do everything the Peco Junior can do, but not vice versa" Denney

Frank Petronio
5-Feb-2011, 00:07
I don't see any provision for front tilt on the South African example, and overall it looks a bit crude compared to a lot of other moderately-priced used cameras... certainly that example is on the "high" side when you can get a fine brand-name 4x5 with readily available parts for less than half of that.

The three lenses you mention have good reputations for vintage lenses but they are rather old so they may likely need service on their shutters and sometimes the glass will develop haze or fungus - even if they have never been used. So I wouldn't pay a lot for them.

And at the 6x9 size, most companies made a dedicated Polaroid packfilm back specific to their line of cameras, and since Plaubel is not very popular in the States, you would probably have to customize some other back $$$ if you needed to use the current Fuji Instant Film.

The older 6x9 view cameras are hard to rationalize. The newer Arcas and Linhofs are beautiful and fully capable, but some the older stuff is more hassle than it is worth.

Dan Fromm
5-Feb-2011, 06:41
tweenkle, it all depends on the price. You said that the thing includes two roll holders, so there's one problem solved. As Frank said, the lenses' shutters will probably need overhaul, but this is true of most used lenses. The 65/6.8 Angulon just covers 2x3, the 120 will give all more movements than the camera offers but is a bit long for normal, the 210 Tessar covers amply and is twice as long as normal. I'm not sure how close it will focus on a Peco Junior.

I shoot 2x3, am not tempted much by larger formats (except 6x12, and that only a little), use 2x3 Graphics and a 2x3 Cambo SC. Before I bought my first Graphic I thought I wanted a 2x3 view camera. One heft of a 6x9 Linhof Color killed that fantasy. I can't recommend a 2x3 SC. Hard to find, not good with short lenses and, although smaller and lighter than a 4x5 (also bad with short lenses) not that much smaller or lighter. Cute camera, fully modular, and I'm happy to have it, but can't bring myself to tell anyone its highly preferable to the alternatives.

If you want to shoot 2x3 (or 6x9, different name for the same format) and don't want movements a 2x3 Graphic can be an inexpensive entry camera. If you want all the view camera conveniences and 2x3 then a 4x5 view camera would be better. But make sure that the view camera you get will allow easy use of short lenses. The shortest I use on my Graphics is a 35, specialized lens not for all situations, but I have a 47 and use it fairly often.

Kevin M Bourque
6-Feb-2011, 09:28
A real problem with any 6x9 view camera is the screens. It's the difference between and iPad and an iPhone ;-)

Seriously, its small enough so that you need to get really close to it. An enclosed viewing hood with a magnifier is nearly essential. Also, the 150 grooves/inch Fresnel that's OK for 8x10 and probably 4x5 is just too coarse for 6x9.

It can work but there are definitely trade offs.

banjo
6-Feb-2011, 12:26
hey I am with Dan Fromm on this one I shoot 2x3, am not tempted much by larger formats All thow
I have 4x5s. I like the Century Graphic 23 {23// 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 or 66 67 or 6x9 & 645} if you don't need a the movements OF a 4x5 the Century 23 is about the BEST WAY to go for $$$$$!! AS most of the
23 View Cameras don't have all of the movements of a 4x5 like most don't have all of the back movements I don't see any rise & fall or shift on the Plaubel Peco Jr 6x9 on the back standard!
And for the $

tweenkle
6-Feb-2011, 17:47
Thanks everybody. I'm going to pass the Plaubel Peco Jr.

I need to think further.

Dan Fromm
7-Feb-2011, 03:59
hey I am with Dan Fromm on this one I shoot 2x3, am not tempted much by larger formats All thow
I have 4x5s. I like the Century Graphic 23 {23// 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 or 66 67 or 6x9 & 645} if you don't need a the movements OF a 4x5 the Century 23 is about the BEST WAY to go for $$$$$!! AS most of the
23 View Cameras don't have all of the movements of a 4x5 like most don't have all of the back movements I don't see any rise & fall or shift on the Plaubel Peco Jr 6x9 on the back standard!
And for the $Banjo, you're not completely with me. I have a 2x3 Cambo SCI. Its front and rear standards are identical and it has shift, rise/fall, and swing at both ends, as do all models of the SC except the simplified version of the 8x10.

See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/cambo_1.html for more information on the SC line.

Cheers,

Dan

banjo
7-Feb-2011, 17:32
will Dan for the price the Century is hard to beat!!
I have a Arca Swiss C SL23A(SL stands for SuperLight & A for axis tilt)
& a Galvin 23 BUT I use the Century the most!
And I do thank that the Plaubel Peco Jr. would be a nice Camera But the price!!

Banjo

Don Dudenbostel
7-Feb-2011, 19:45
I shoot formats up to 8x10 but really love 6x9cm. My first 6x9 was a great little Technika 70 kit with three lenses back in 1972. I used it for a few years and sold it to a student in 1975. I've used mainly 4x5 & 8x10 in my work until going digital in the business but continued to shoot LF for pleasure. Last year I got the bug for another 2x3 and bought a technika V. What a sweet little camera. Its tiny and solid as a rock. It considerably smaller than my 4x5 Ebony sv45Ti. I can easily carry it with 6 lenses, pentax meter, super rollex and lots of film in a small lowepro backpack. Also I can use a smaller and muck lighter Gitzo cf tripod than I can with 4x5. I actually like it so much that's about all ive shot with for the past year. I also just ordered a Technikardan 23s to use with both film and a digital back.

Unless you're enlarging very large 2x3 is plenty and very convenient to use and carry. I might also add that processing 120 in a stainless tank on reels is much easier and convenient than sheet film. Also enlargers are much smaller and cheaper. Consider the price of 8 shots on a 120 roll vs 8 sheets of film.