PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice ASAP Albuquerque - Flagstaff

Richard K.
3-Feb-2011, 08:48
By some miracle, I got to Chicago but yesterday my train to Flagstaff via Albuquerque was cancelled and today it only goes as far as Albuquerque. Are the road conditions OK for driving if I was to rent a car (but it could be VERY late, maybe midnight!) to finsh the 300 or so miles to Flagstaff? Dunno why the train can't go past Albuquerque. Well, I wanted an adventure!!

Jan Pietrzak
3-Feb-2011, 09:07
Richard,

It looks like you have lap top with so try this

www.nmroads.com

www.az511.com

This will help in you make your choice I will not make it for you.

Once you leave ABQ it is open space and not a fun place to spend the night in a car
the temps last night got down to -18 at about 3:00a getting to Flag you will be climbing up so more snow and ice.

Hope this helps

Jan Pietrzak

Juergen Sattler
3-Feb-2011, 09:15
You'll be on major interstate highways only! You'll be OK. Just rent a car and go.

Richard K.
3-Feb-2011, 09:24
Thanks J and J. Has anyone driven HWY 40 between Flagstaff and Albuquerque today?

Brian Schall
3-Feb-2011, 09:43
Right now in Albuquerque, it's sunny, with little to no wind and ZERO DEGREES F. The hight today is supposed to be around 20 F. West of ABQ it's usually 10-20 degrees colder. Nothing is going to melt today. If the wind picks up there will definitely be drifting snow, the snow is so dry it is not packing at all.

I-40 is open but there is still going to be icy spots. The black ice is the worse because you can't see it, it looks just like road. ABQ to Grants is about an hour drive in good weather, Grants to Gallup another 1.5 hours in good weather. Nothing much in between.

If you are getting into the train station around midnight, I'm not sure you can even rent a car at that time. I'm not sure if there is even a car rental place downtown near the station, they're all out at the airport.

Good luck and be safe. Safe is better than sorry out in the middle of nowhere.

Chauncey Walden
3-Feb-2011, 10:01
Richard, the Arizona cams look OK except for the extreme cold made dangerous by the high winds as you approach Flagstaff. In New Mexico there is a tendency to use solar snow removal or random maintenance. With the cold temps the wind will be blowing snow across the roads where it will make nice ice sheets. If you choose to drive be sure you have extra warm clothing, a mobile phone, and be very careful. You might want to spend the day in Albuquerque and experience the ambiance.

Don7x17
3-Feb-2011, 10:05
Richard
Amtrak can be annulled for weather events or track events (slides, train wreck, snow covering tracks).
If you decide to travel this late at night by car with such low temperatures -- ensure that you have a survival kit in your car (water, food, candles, matches, road flares, blanket, winter coat). If you get stuck, crack the window and light a candle. It will keep your car surprisingly warm. Don't run the engine if the tailpipe is covered with snow.
If I were you, I'd hole up in Albequerque and decide on train or car in the morning.
The scenery between Albq and Flagstaff can be interesting -- particularly between Gallup and Holbrook, and Winslow to Flagstaff. Go stand on a corner in Winslow, Az ;-)
Have fun
Don

Richard K.
3-Feb-2011, 10:37
If I were you, I'd hole up in Albequerque and decide on train or car in the morning.

That's what I've decided to do. Why take chances? NOW Amtrak is saying they WILL go through to Flagstaff! Thanks everybody!!

Jan Pietrzak
3-Feb-2011, 10:49
Richard,

Good luck on your travels.

Jan Pietrzak

Richard K.
3-Feb-2011, 12:48
I think I'm OK to Flagstaff now...thanks everybody. Man they seem to have free Wi Fi everywhere. This being typed in the Amtrak waiting lounge in Chicago...:D

Sanjay Sen
3-Feb-2011, 14:47
Is that enough adventure for ya?! :D

Have fun, and be safe.

eddie
4-Feb-2011, 04:46
Man they seem to have free Wi Fi everywhere.

welcome to america.