PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Familiar Bausch and Lomb Planatograph Lenses

DanK
2-Feb-2011, 19:04
Is anyone familiar with a Planatograph Lens?

Search didn't show much beyond larger ones for sale...and Ole's thread...

Bausch and Lomb - Small - Elements around 3/4 inch

Looks to be a 5 1/2 inch lens and covers 4x5 wide open

Mounted in a simple brass Kodak shutter...

Aperture scale - f4 to 128 - US scale so probably around f8

Curious if anyone is familiar with design....use....positives, negatives...

Neighbor brought this one over, I have another on a 4x5 Premo that actually says 4x5 Planatograph....this new one only has Planatograph...

Haven't shot with either...

Any info would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance,
Dan

EdWorkman
2-Feb-2011, 20:01
Rapid Rectilinear

Louis Pacilla
2-Feb-2011, 20:01
It's a Rapid Rectilinear lens . That was a trade name for RR at one point with B&L.

DanK
2-Feb-2011, 21:51
Thanks for the replies....

I'm curious, with this design - RR, Aplanats...Is it possible to use a single group, front or rear, as a taking lens by itself?

Thanks again,
Dan

walter23
2-Feb-2011, 22:23
Yes, both front and rear make positive lenses. They're achromatic doublets and I think basically similar to achromat "landscape" or meniscus lenses.

Both front and back on their own end up making a longer focal length than the whole RR lens, I believe. I seem to remember being unable to use either from my 8" RR on my speed graphic (but they cast a big image on the wall from my open window!).

Steven Tribe
3-Feb-2011, 01:49
Better general correction than most landscape meniscus lenses when used alone. There were some RR's with asymmetric pairs to provide the three focal lengths possible. They were one of the options 1n the Premo/Poco etc. long focus era from 1893 onwards.

DanK
4-Feb-2011, 01:52
Thanks Walter and Steven...

Beyond the longer focal length when front or rear groups are used alone, Is there also an increase in image circle? or does the image circle/coverage remain the same?

Thanks again,
Dan

Steven Tribe
4-Feb-2011, 02:15
Yes, there is a considerable increase in illuminated circle - not all of it super sharp, though. And a fall in effective F value.