PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Large Prints

Howard Slavitt
24-Feb-2000, 17:50
I am interested in advice on archival mounting of prints to be framed. Up to 18 " x 24" I have been simply using archival tape and taping the print to an archiv al mat board backing, which I then secure to a window mat via a tape hinge. I u nderstand this is the currently preferred archival method.

For larger prints of 20" x 30" (matted to about 30" x 40") and 27" x 40" (matted to about 42" x 55"), I fear that tape will not be strong enough to hold them. Thus, I am considering either glue mounting the prints (through special adhesive s that are considered the "most" archival available although not truly archival) or dry mounting them.

I am having LightJet Prints made on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper.

Am I correct that 20" x 30" prints are too heavy simply to tape to an archival b acking and with a window mat on top? (This would be the easiest thing for me to do.) Assuming I am correct, then what is the preferred "archival" method of mo unting this size of prints? I personally will not be doing the mounting, but wo nder which service is the best to purchase.

Thanks for your help. Howard.

john costo
24-Feb-2000, 18:04
Howard, I have my LightJet prints mounted on plexiglass. I wouldn't use board or foamcore; sometimes the mounting machine leaves impressions.

james norman
24-Feb-2000, 18:53
i always use linen tape T-type hinges. for larger print sizes, i use more than two hinges. no hinging can be considered "permanent", but it is still the preferred manner of mounting for museum purposes. for prints larger than 11x14, i use 8-ply backs and fronts (100% rag museum board).