PDA

View Full Version : Best practices on mailing 4x5 sheets

miklosphoto
1-Feb-2011, 15:40
I would like to get some recommendation on how I would send my exposed negatives to a photo lab. I will be using a Grafmatic sheet film holder with six sheets. I planned out already my workflow and at got stuck at the moment when I would pull out the exposed negatives/positives from the film holder. What is next? What's the best way to get them from my "dark" room to a lab?
Any help appreciated.
Miklos

Ari
1-Feb-2011, 15:53
Use a 3-piece film box to ship in.
Ask that they return it to you when they're done.

lenser
1-Feb-2011, 16:07
I agree with Ari, but will add to tape that box shut and tape your business card or return address to the box.

Then, when you have it in the mailing envelope or outer box, tape the thing shut like there is no tomorrow, because there might not be one. Also, insure it for the cost of doing a reshoot including all expenses. Finally add order tracking in some form so you can at least see where it is at in shipping.

Two summers ago, one of the post office's express envelopes popped open somewhere in route in spite of their adhesive and one strip of packaging tape across the opening. At that point I had not bothered with these security measures and all was lost.

The lab got my envelope, but it was empty and no way to successfully locate the film box.

I lost three days of out of town shooting (over a hundred miles away) that took three weeks to reschedule and reshoot, all on my dime plus lost face with an important client.

Now I invest in packing tape.

miklosphoto
1-Feb-2011, 16:15
Use a 3-piece film box to ship in.

I was thinking about the same. I guess I just reuse one of the 10 sheet boxes for this purpose. It is sort of weird that there is no other way invented for this. As I will send in only the C-41 or E-6 film, it won't be difficult. But I wonder what people do who don't develop their own B&W. I got couple of boxes of Tmax with 50 sheets each. I wonder if someone has to wait to expose all the 50 sheets before sending it to develop. Anyway, B&W I do myself so there is no issue.
With C-41 I just wait till all the 10 sheets are exposed.
Thanks for the replies.
Miklos

Greg Blank
1-Feb-2011, 17:44
Like other say use a three piece box taped, I use plastic packing tape or very sticky masking tape.

My Opinion is

Do not mail film via the Postal service, they X ray packages. Especially If you are in a metro area of a large city.

I would like to get some recommendation on how I would send my exposed negatives to a photo lab. I will be using a Grafmatic sheet film holder with six sheets. I planned out already my workflow and at got stuck at the moment when I would pull out the exposed negatives/positives from the film holder. What is next? What's the best way to get them from my "dark" room to a lab?
Any help appreciated.
Miklos

Noah A
1-Feb-2011, 19:36
I've been sending my film out via priority mail with no noticeable x-ray problems. Is it confirmed that USPS x-rays its parcels?

I only shoot color so it didn't take long to have a lot of 10-sheet boxes sitting around. I put the film in the 3-part box and tape it on all edges with gaffers tape or packing tape. I keep meaning to order some of that "warning, exposed film" tape.

I have printed labels from my laser printer with my name, number, address, etc. I put them on the top and bottom of the box and clearly write the process on the top and bottom of the box (pretty much always C-41 for me).

I put the box in a ziploc bag with the processing order form. The bag may(?) provide protection if the box gets wet. Can't hurt in any event and it keeps the form with the film.

I also pre-print mailing label with the lab address to make sure it's more legible than my poor handwriting. I've been using the small USPS priority mail box which fits 4x5 film very well.

I haven't had any problems but I was wondering if the film could get scratched, since I put it loose into the box and it can slide around. Do any of you put it in an inner bag or something inside the box?

Daniel Stone
1-Feb-2011, 22:33
I send 4x5 and 8x10 e-6/c-41 to Samy's in S.B. via Priority Mail.

they're only 100 miles away from me, but I've NEVER had a problem with x-ray damage on any of the 400+ sheets of film I've sent them over the past 3 years. 120/35mm film hasn't showed any problems either.

but comparing with someone on the east coast, where the film will probably go on a plane, mine probably doesn't get scanned anyhow, since its going by a truck on the ground, but you never know

-Dan

oh... I send up to 30sheets in a 4x5 of 8x10 box(10 sht sized box). Its stuffed, but its the way I work if backpacking or going on a LONG day hike, and change film holders i the field while out. Gaffer's tape on all sides, packed in a FR envelope/small box, I've never had a problem

Frank Petronio
1-Feb-2011, 22:52
Edgar Praus does a lot of mail-order film, 1000s and 1000s per year.

Put it in an empty 3-pc film box. If you don't have enough empty ones, ask or buy some from friendlies here.

Don't be an idiot and try something new and creative here....

Tape all four sides with regular masking tape, go an inch on the top and an inch on the bottom, don't be ridiculous.... If you over-tape it, then it is a pain to open at the lab and they will hate your nervous paranoia... but it will hardly deter any nefarious zealot who wants to get into your box. Hell it probably makes them want to look inside that much harder.

Place box in an envelope. Use Priority Mail or FedEx. Stop fretting.

Anything can be X-rayed by any of the shippers and you will never know either way, and 99.9999% of the time it is harmless. You probably risk having it be lost well before it gets zapped.

Do they prescribe Xanax for this sort of thing?

domaz
3-Feb-2011, 16:21
Just got some film back from Samy's, always shipped both ways with Priority Mail. No problems on the film other than my own issues. I have done this several times recently. The X-rays harming film is an urban myth IMO.

ki6mf
3-Feb-2011, 19:09
When I shoot a back up negatives I sort by development time and use old film boxes. All of the first exposed negatives are stored in marked N, N+, N- Color etc film boxes. The back up negative is placed in an individual cardboard film mailer inside a black poly envelope. I attach individual film exposure notes to each mailer with a rubber band. If I do not shoot a back up negative I still put all exposed film in the appropriate box marked N, N- ,N+ , and Compensating. This methodology gets the exposed negatives set up for the length of time I need and organizes my work flow. Mailers are available from Freestyle Photo in California. A 5X7 with mailer and bag is around $.60 each. They can be found under Darkroom Supply/Dark Room Accessories/Misc. Sizes range from 5X7 to ULF. I use 5X7 for my 4X5 workflow. Here is the link. I do not know where these can be purchased outside of the USA.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5857-E...x7?cat_id=1603

Noah A
3-Feb-2011, 19:46
I've been using Samy's too...can't beat the price and the processing seems to be as good as anywhere else...

As much as I like to deal with local businesses, paying twice as much for dirty, uneven rotary tank processing at my local lab makes the shipping not seem like too much of a hassle.

rguinter
4-Feb-2011, 10:07
Everyone here is reiterating the same thing. Use a 3-piece film box of the correct size and ship your film inside. the triple nested boxes are light-tight.

Where I disagree is how to keep the contents safe from scratching and the boxes closed.

I use a single rubber band around the box to hold it closed. There is no need for gaffer's tape, masking tape, cellophane tape or anything else. That just makes it harder for the lab to open the box when it gets there. then put the box inside a fresh zip-lock bag before putting it in the envelope. One never knows what moisture or humidity changes it will encounter on its trip.

For the film sheets inside it is important to do something to prevent them sliding against one another and causing scratches. The technique I use is to nest them between the original inner cardboards that come with fresh film. The nested pack is then rubber banded with a snug (but not tight) rubber band. This keeps film sheets from sliding against one another as the package tumbles its way along across country.

My suggestions and has worked for many hundreds of sheets.

Bob G.

Roger Cole
4-Feb-2011, 13:07
Just got some film back from Samy's, always shipped both ways with Priority Mail. No problems on the film other than my own issues. I have done this several times recently. The X-rays harming film is an urban myth IMO.

Eh...not exactly. Older X-ray machines used MUCH higher levels. Over time, more sensitive x-ray films and intensification plates (that give off visible light when struck by x-rays and increase the exposure) were introduced, then more sensitive digital sensors. The reason it's seldom if ever a problem now is that the x-ray exposure is so much less. But I did know people in the 70s who had fast film (Tri-X mainly) on international trips go through multiple x-ray screens and come out noticeably fogged.

It may be urban myth NOW, but it has a basis in fact years ago.

Bob Kerner
4-Feb-2011, 14:14
I started doing mail-order a couple of months ago. I use Praus and could not be more satisfied. I do all of the above: use the original boxes, tape etc somethings a zip lock bag.

I use the USPS small flat rate box which holds two 4x5 film boxes perfectly. The neat thing about the box is that it collapses flat. You can put it in your luggage and mail your film to the lab when on the road. I don't worry about xrays and haven't seen any impact on my images beyond my novice skills.

Chuck Pratt
20-May-2011, 08:26
As above. The only things I do a bit differently:
I tape an old film box card to the box, and in addition to writing my name and phone number, I write on it how many sheets are in the box. Mostly this helps me make sure I've actually put all of my film in the box (I have to count the sheets twice before sealing the box) and I suppose perhaps possibly maybe make sure the lab knows how many to expect so if their count is different than mine, they'd let me know. (They do; it's happened once in 6 years.)
I also write on the box the processing (C41) and since I use the boxes the film comes in, I circle the name on the box with a heavy black Sharpie.

tgtaylor
20-May-2011, 11:05
Anyway, B&W I do myself so there is no issue.
With C-41 I just wait till all the 10 sheets are exposed.
Thanks for the replies.
Miklos

With B&W it's OK to wait a bit but with color the clock is ticking. A couple of days ago I shot 4 sheets of C-41. I process my own but instead of waiting to shoot 2 more sheets to fill the smaller Jobo drum or 6 more for the larger drum, I went ahead and processed them that evening when I got back home.

It's been a while since I last took film to a lab for processing but surely between San Jose and San Francisco there must be several.

Thomas

Ivan J. Eberle
21-May-2011, 16:41
The latent image is reasonably stable with all the color films I use: Astia, Ektar, Portra, Fujicolor Pro160s...
Issue with USPS around metro areas had to do with Anthrax attacks and their ionizing parcels and envelopes to sterilize them for some interval afterwards. Many times more powerful gamma rays than xray machines, methinks.