PDA

View Full Version : Aristo cold light head

bill fell
1-Feb-2011, 12:59
I have an Aristo D-2 Hi head. Is the lamp the same as the V-54? I want to use it to print on multi grade paper using variable contrast filters.

Eric Woodbury
1-Feb-2011, 13:46
Depends. Many different tubes have been produced over the years. If it looks blue-green (when on), then it is V54. If it looks blue-white or white, it's not.

BetterSense
1-Feb-2011, 14:33
Which one is better for printing with contrast filters?

domaz
1-Feb-2011, 14:56
The V54 is supposed to be better for multicontrast, but you can use the old tube with a yellow filter and it will work ok as well. My old style Aristo head had a yellow filter "installed" under the head (more like jammed in there haphazardly). I took it out and never had a problem achieving Grade 3. Never tried anything higher before I moved to a color head.

Drew Wiley
1-Feb-2011, 16:52
The V54 bulb is certainly convenient for split printing using either a green filter for
burning in low-contrast detail, or a blue filter for high contrast. Without filters it seems
to print right around normal grade 3, and can produce images virtually identical to those done with a colorhead prior to filter adjustments.

BetterSense
1-Feb-2011, 17:01
So they don't work with Ilford multicontrast filters? I have some kind of Aristo cold light head, and I was planning on using it with my Ilford multicontrast filters.

Merg Ross
1-Feb-2011, 17:11
So they don't work with Ilford multicontrast filters? I have some kind of Aristo cold light head, and I was planning on using it with my Ilford multicontrast filters.

The V-54 tube works well with Ilford filters. I judge it to be a Grade 2 without filters for the majority of my negatives.

The older tube, with the addition of a Roscoe yellow filter in the light path, will also work with filters under the lens.

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Feb-2011, 18:12
Merg,

Is that a CC40Y filter?

Or, what is the correct Roscoe filter number?

Thanks,
Eric

Merg Ross
1-Feb-2011, 18:47
Merg,

Is that a CC40Y filter?

Or, what is the correct Roscoe filter number?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

I believe that is correct, although I would have to check my notes to be certain. For the past ten years I have been using the V-54 tube, a big improvement over the earlier head.

Merg

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Feb-2011, 20:05
Thanks Merg,

I was given a nice, old head for a 5X7 enlarger and I have NO idea what the tube is. The light is actually fairly yellow but I may look at getting a filter if needed. I have been using Ilford filters below the lens and they seem to be working OK. Without the filters the light seems to print about the same as my Saunders with the #3 filter, so I have actually been forced to dial back the contrast with this old head.

Eric Woodbury
1-Feb-2011, 21:16
The V54 is very bright, the brightest coldlight I've used. It works well with the VC filters and if you need a little more contrast, you can use blue lighting filters to push even harder.

Merg Ross
1-Feb-2011, 21:41
The V54 is very bright, the brightest coldlight I've used. It works well with the VC filters and if you need a little more contrast, you can use blue lighting filters to push even harder.

Eric makes a good point; the V54 is very bright. Shortly after installing mine, I ordered the dimmer from Aristo. Of course, this is all dependent on negative density and preferred printing times. I prefer between 5 and 30 seconds.