PDA

View Full Version : OK If the Chicago Snow Storm of the Century Doesn't Impede Me,

Richard K.
31-Jan-2011, 16:27
I'll be off on my adventure 7 A.M. tomorrow morning. Look for me (in a week) in Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Palm Springs and Scottsdale - I'll be wearing a black Evolution (New York City) T-Shirt and a tan Columbia Sun Hat...please stop and say HI!! :D :)

I'm bringing 2 cameras (WP and 7x11) and 3 lenses (150, 300 and 450) and some orange juice, a lap-top and clean underwear.

Merg Ross
31-Jan-2011, 19:49
You haven't left yet?

Richard, let me be the first to wish you well, good light and safe travels! Look forward to your reports.

Merg

Steve M Hostetter
31-Jan-2011, 20:04
Richard,,

Good luck and be safe

Frank Petronio
31-Jan-2011, 20:12
Drive like Hell until the snow hits.... The storm is hitting here Wednesday morning... where do you think you'll be by then?

Richard K.
31-Jan-2011, 21:10
Drive like Hell until the snow hits.... The storm is hitting here Wednesday morning... where do you think you'll be by then?

In Chicago by train...:) but day and overnight there (visit the Maier exhibit, etc.) and then by train to Flagstaff, rent car, Vegas for Super Bowl Sunday, then DV, JT, PS, etc.

Thanks Merg, Steve and Frank...

eddie
1-Feb-2011, 05:02
The storm is hitting here Wednesday morning...

7:02 am. get moving! time to go!

the storm has been here for some time already today (tues)......next up roch-cha-cha.

have fun richard.

eddie

msk2193
1-Feb-2011, 05:35
Richard, you erred in your plans. Superbowl is in Dallas not Vegas this year. :D
Be safe and have fun

Two23
1-Feb-2011, 08:56
We had a snow storm yesterday again, but not sure anyone noticed. We've had either a blizzard, winter storm, or frozen rain at least two days per week since Thanksgiving.

Kent in SD

bob carnie
1-Feb-2011, 09:50
Richard

Snow is nothing to us hardy Canadians, have a great time.

Bob

AF-ULF
1-Feb-2011, 10:47
My daughters flight out of Omaha to San Diego was just cancelled. Hope you made it out.

Brian Schall
1-Feb-2011, 11:27
If you're headed to Flagstaff, good luck. It started snowing here in Albuquerque last night, still snowing but only a couple of inches so far. But then again, ABQ doesn't get anywhere as much snow as just 10 miles outside of the city does. Temperature is supposed to drop over the next 2-3 days with the low Weds. night around zero. Flagstaff is much higher in elevation and sticks up like a sore thumb from the surrounding area. They usually get hit much harder. I would guess they may get 2 feet of snow with night time temps below zero.

Good luck.

bob carnie
1-Feb-2011, 11:36
Like all Canadian men , Richard can make an Igloo within and hour, is able to train local animals to mush him out, and can walk 500 miles in sub zero conditions.

this will be a piece of cake for him

John Powers
1-Feb-2011, 15:24
Like all Canadian men , Richard can make an Igloo within and hour, is able to train local animals to mush him out, and can walk 500 miles in sub zero conditions.

Is this the same Bob Carnie that was looking at baby joggers recently?

John

Fred L
1-Feb-2011, 15:38
Bob, you forgot, 500 miles, all uphill in snow up to your pits. with no boots.

Richard K.
1-Feb-2011, 17:07

Actually I just finished the piece of (cheese) cake at the Cheesecake Factory here in Cheektowaga (Buffalo) while waiting for my train connection (in a comfortable motel room). At midnight I find out if the train dares try to go to Chicago...
As far as Flagstaff goes, I'm hoping to be OK as I arrive THERE Friday and am driving to Vegas Saturday, so hopefully no need to show off my igloo building skills. I hope there's a Tims in Arizona/California...:)

Steve M Hostetter
1-Feb-2011, 17:21
Train,? sounds like some good photo opportunities there! :)

Ed Kelsey
1-Feb-2011, 17:23
Same T shirt all week?

Richard K.
1-Feb-2011, 19:03
Train,? sounds like some good photo opportunities there! :)

Yeah, I knew I should have brought my M7!! :( :mad:
I have 7x11 and WP with me, both checked in...

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Feb-2011, 20:27
Richard. Sunny and 60's here in So Cal. Hope you make it and have a great trip.

Richard K.
1-Feb-2011, 20:38
Same T shirt all week?

I have several...:D

Don7x17
1-Feb-2011, 22:06
Actually I just finished the piece of (cheese) cake at the Cheesecake Factory here in Cheektowaga (Buffalo) while waiting for my train connection (in a comfortable motel room). At midnight I find out if the train dares try to go to Chicago...
As far as Flagstaff goes, I'm hoping to be OK as I arrive THERE Friday and am driving to Vegas Saturday, so hopefully no need to show off my igloo building skills. I hope there's a Tims in Arizona/California...:)

Richard -
You'll have to try some American Coffee -- the Tim Horton's website shows the last one heading west in the USA is in Kentucky. I guess a side trip to B.C. might be in order ;-)

I tried Tim's coffee in the Yukon last summer. Many in Canada seem to like the taste.
Hope you make it to Chicago.

bob carnie
2-Feb-2011, 06:53
John I had a visitor from the Southern States looking for this jogger, I didn't realize how unmanly of me to post on that thread. It won't happen again.

Is this the same Bob Carnie that was looking at baby joggers recently?

John

goamules
2-Feb-2011, 07:56
If you can break through the front, it's getting into the high 40s here in Arizona. Last week it was in the 70s. Man, it changes fast. Have fun whatever happens.

Robert Skeoch
2-Feb-2011, 08:16
You guys in South Dakota know how to live. Why do you get all the fun weather.
-Rob

Robert Skeoch
2-Feb-2011, 08:19
Let the fun begin.
-rob

Richard K.
2-Feb-2011, 16:35
OK, so far, 3 hour delay in Buffalo and then another 3 hour delay enroute Buffalo to Chicago. Now, in Chicago, we arrived in South Chicago and breathed a sigh of relief only to endure another full hour of stop and start to Union Station. I think a work crew was pacing the train and using blow-torches or something to unjam frozen switches. So we got in around 2. Then I was told that the Southwest Chief to Flagsaff was cancelled. Which so far is OK since I did book a safety/just in case day. But it better leave tomorrow! I did strike up a converstion with a physicist sitting in front of me and relived some old concerns about what will happen to the universe (complete obliteration of all history in the relapse collapse), string theory, consciousness etc. Now I remember why I left that field. I did see the Maier show and I am convinced that she will be recognized as one of last century's greatest street photographers, an amazing amalgam of Arbus, Winogrand and Erwitt (sorry for repeating myself!). OK precious little of this post has anything to do with photography, sorry! Just burbling... I'm exhausted...good night...

John Bowen
2-Feb-2011, 17:43
Did I mention it was 68 degrees in Richmond today.....wind chill was 64 :-)

Brian Ellis
2-Feb-2011, 19:27
Did I mention it was 68 degrees in Richmond today.....wind chill was 64 :-)

The weather's been brutal here in the High Desert of Central Oregon too. Sunny, dry, and in the '50s. : - ) But the tales my step-son in Wisconsin (about 30 miles outside Madison) has to tell are just amazing. Major blizzard, 8 foot high snowdrifts, everything shut down, no way to get anywhere even on snowmobiles, hundreds of motorists stranded.

Jim Becia
3-Feb-2011, 06:56
Just a quick note on our weather here in WI. I was supposed to leave for points west on Monday, but decided to wait out the approaching storm. I will finally leave tomorrow. I've seen some good storms, but this one ranks up there at the top. According to the weather service, we only received about 12 inched. However, the 24 plus inches in the driveway and side walks say otherwise. I have a 6 foot drift at my front door. As my snow blower went through the snow, all you could see was the little black spout at times. My little border collie jumped into the snow and couldn't move. My wife told me that if I had been gone for this storm the locks would have been changed by the time I got back home. :rolleyes: Jim

John Bowen
4-Feb-2011, 15:57
The weather's been brutal here in the High Desert of Central Oregon too. Sunny, dry, and in the '50s. : - ) But the tales my step-son in Wisconsin (about 30 miles outside Madison) has to tell are just amazing. Major blizzard, 8 foot high snowdrifts, everything shut down, no way to get anywhere even on snowmobiles, hundreds of motorists stranded.

Having grown up in the snow belts south of Buffalo, I'm very familiar with extreme winter storms. We survived the "Bilzzard of '78" while attending college. The stories told by friends who attempted to get home to Buffalo still haunt me....riding snowmobiles over the roofs of cars abandoned on major roadways....

rguinter
4-Feb-2011, 17:38
Having grown up in the snow belts south of Buffalo, I'm very familiar with extreme winter storms. We survived the "Bilzzard of '78" while attending college. The stories told by friends who attempted to get home to Buffalo still haunt me....riding snowmobiles over the roofs of cars abandoned on major roadways....

I don't remember the snow totals for the blizzard of 78 but I remember the blizzard well. Here in NJ it shut down the state for a couple of days... something that never happened before.

I was renting an apartment at the time on the right side of a 3-lane one-way street. 5-lanes total if you count the left and right shoulders.

Anyway the plows came down the street in tandem and the plowed snow in my driveway was higher than the top of my snow shovel with me standing and holding it skyward as high as I could go.

So yes I do remember the work it took to finally get the car out.

Bob G.

Jim Graves
4-Feb-2011, 20:35
2 Brothers are on a long-planned ski trip to Breckenridge, CO this week. Low was Minus 31 F. ... high tomorrow is to be Plus 31 F. ... the temperature has risen 62 degrees and it's still below freezing. Brutal. They finally braved the slopes when it got up to Minus 2.

As I write this, they are hanging out at Cecilia's Martini Bar ... they have a 7-hour long Happy "Hour" from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m ... also brutal!

Am enjoying following Richard's travelogue ... keep up the posts so we know where to move the marker pin on the map.

evan clarke
5-Feb-2011, 05:55
2 Brothers are on a long-planned ski trip to Breckenridge, CO this week. Low was Minus 31 F. ... high tomorrow is to be Plus 31 F. ... the temperature has risen 62 degrees and it's still below freezing. Brutal. They finally braved the slopes when it got up to Minus 2.

As I write this, they are hanging out at Cecilia's Martini Bar ... they have a 7-hour long Happy "Hour" from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m ... also brutal!

Am enjoying following Richard's travelogue ... keep up the posts so we know where to move the marker pin on the map.

I'm enjoying this thread more than I've followed for a while. I hope Richard's trip is fruitful and enjoyable despite the travel problems. Can't wait for his next post..Evan Clarke

Richard K.
11-Feb-2011, 21:39
I am copying a reply I made to a more recent thread dealing with my adventur>>>

OK, I'm online here in Joshua Tree! Illness and sporadic internet and cell coverage has made it difficult for me to post here! After a miserable start through Chicago and 2 days in bed with Flu (not Flo) in Death Valley, I finally got out Wednesday and did some photography including a rather spectacular ride through Titus Canyon. A few more photos yesterday and today I drove all the way to JT after a stop in China Ranch for a date shake. Very neat place! Tomorrow (Saturday) out at dawn to JT and back for evening light. Sunday morning off to Palm Springs area. Hoping to meet up with 3 of you in the next few days and also taking in at least 2 exhibits in Scottsdale. Man, honestly I haven't been this sick in 10 years...I was actually a little worried for a while! The weather has been amazing and I'm enjoying myself. My thanks again to all the forum sages who proffered excellent suggestions for this Canadian boy! So, look for me in Palm Springs and Scottsdale...I'll be wearing a black T-shirt....:D
Laura, I'm sorry I missed you. I was quite impressed with the Shoshone area! I stopped at the little museum and even bought a book...

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
11-Feb-2011, 22:12
Stay healthy and active ! This is the trip that everyone is following. So there is a big flock with you in spirit.

Richard K.
11-Feb-2011, 23:29
Stay healthy and active ! This is the trip that everyone is following. So there is a big flock with you in spirit.

Thanks Gudmundor, I appreciate your kind words. :)

cdholden
12-Feb-2011, 02:24

Indeed.
Run, Forrest! Run!