PDA

View Full Version : Portraits of Australian Criminals in the 1920s

Frank Petronio
30-Jan-2011, 07:21
Kind of a redundant use of two words isn't it?

However this copper was an artist!

http://www.laboiteverte.fr/portraits-de-criminels-australiens-dans-les-annees-1920/

jnantz
30-Jan-2011, 08:10
thanks for this link frank ..
it amazes me how classy everyone
looked in the 1920s ...

Iga
30-Jan-2011, 08:24
I saw this book in Guggenheim Bilbao book shop some time ago. It was in English and short notes about folks pictured there was very interesting reading..
Thanks,
Igor.

Marc B.
30-Jan-2011, 08:54
More in terms of trying to save money, I always admired the early mug shots at the
Territorial Prison, in Yuma, AZ, USA.
Arizona didn't become a state until 1912, the last of the lower 48.
By using a mirror, they could get a face-on, and profile in one shot.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/yuma.htm

mdm
30-Jan-2011, 12:28
This is a prime example of the Australian cultural cringe, theese are hosted in france. They are an odd lot in Australia. They should be very proud of theese.

Brian C. Miller
30-Jan-2011, 14:00
It really makes me wonder why they were arrested. I see that "E. Falleni" has two photos, one of him wearing what I guess is some kind of work shirt, and the other of him in a three-piece suit. I wonder if even mug shots were special events, so they got themselves dressed up for it.

Steven Tribe
30-Jan-2011, 14:23
Some criminology archives are full of high quality images.

The reason?

-They used quality equipment (Dallmeyer 19th C records show that many of their top objectives were sold direct to prisons!).

-Frequent photographic sessions - a veritable studio atmosphere was possible.

-Careful institutional storage (in many cases) whilst Photography Studios plates have mostly got thrown out (Norsigianitis). Private prints get "thinned out" with every new generation and storage is poor.

-Subject matter required sharp and not soft images.

Donald Miller
30-Jan-2011, 14:30
Great link Frank. Thanks for posting this.

Paul Ewins
30-Jan-2011, 16:25
These are from a book called "City of Shadows - Sydney Police Photographs 1912 - 1948" by Peter Doyle that was published back in 2005. There was an exhibition at the Police and Justice Museum at the same time. It is available on Amazon and I highly recommend it.

jp
30-Jan-2011, 17:56
You can dress um up but you can't take um out.

Paul Ewins
30-Jan-2011, 18:29
Brian, Eugenie Falleni is a woman, not a man, a fact that surprised her second wife when Falleni was arrested. She was arrested for the murder of her first wife, which apparently occurred after discovering her "husband" had a secret.

Darin Boville
30-Jan-2011, 18:37
These are really great. Thanks.

--Darin

NicolasArg
30-Jan-2011, 19:16
Thanks for the link Frank. Could someone please describe briefly how they used to light these portraits? I'd really like to try it.

Ross Chambers
31-Jan-2011, 00:58
This is a prime example of the Australian cultural cringe, theese are hosted in france. They are an odd lot in Australia. They should be very proud of theese.

Indeed, that's why they were presented in a carefully restored and curated show at the Justice and Police Museum in Sydney from November 2005 to November 2006. A book of the show (ISBN 1 876991 20 8) was published by the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales at the time, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys vernacular photography. Many of these were banged off in the yard at the back of the station by the first available walloper.

RE Odd Australians: I had occasion to use TVNZ footage of the Bastion Point demo which was a pivotal moment in New Zealand history. It was spliced with some crap sticky tape with no archival qualities and the lab could hardly get it through the printer. No attempt had been made to preserve this material. Now THAT'S odd (and cringeworthy)

Ross Chambers
31-Jan-2011, 01:05
Kind of a redundant use of two words isn't it?

Yeah thanks Frank. To be charitable I guess you forgot the smiley.

mdm
31-Jan-2011, 01:09
Indeed, that's why they were presented in a carefully restored and curated show at the Justice and Police Museum in Sydney from November 2005 to November 2006. A book of the show (ISBN 1 876991 20 8) was published by the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales at the time, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys vernacular photography. Many of these were banged off in the yard at the back of the station by the first available walloper.

RE Odd Australians: I had occasion to use TVNZ footage of the Bastion Point demo which was a pivotal moment in New Zealand history. It was spliced with some crap sticky tape with no archival qualities and the lab could hardly get it through the printer. No attempt had been made to preserve this material. Now THAT'S odd (and cringeworthy)

Settle down. I read those names very carefully, before looking. No surprises, thankfully.

Lachlan 717
31-Jan-2011, 01:37

You root sheep and you have the temerity to call us odd?

But, on a lighter note, I would doubt that there is any cultural cringe here. We have many, many urban heroes of a very shady nature (Ned Kelly and Mark "Chopper" Read to name but 2), so nothing embarrassing there.

More likely that someone stole these, headed back to the Ol' Dart and sold them.

If we got them back, there'd probably be a Public Holiday gazetted...

Brian C. Miller
31-Jan-2011, 01:51
Brian, Eugenie Falleni is a woman, not a man, a fact that surprised her second wife when Falleni was arrested. She was arrested for the murder of her first wife, which apparently occurred after discovering her "husband" had a secret.

Eugenia Falleni, aka Harry Crawford (http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-http%253A%252F%252Fcollection.hht.net.au%252Ffirsthhtpictures%252Fpicturerecord.jsp%253Frecno%253D31246)

'Crawford's' astonished second wife, when finally convinced of Falleni's true gender remarked, "I always wondered why he was so painfully shy ..."

Wow! I had heard of a case like this in the US, but it wasn't criminal. Hillarious!

Frank Petronio
31-Jan-2011, 05:31
Yeah thanks Frank. To be charitable I guess you forgot the smiley.

Took you guys long enough to catch that.

EdWorkman
31-Jan-2011, 11:04
Geez Frank- Anyone who has watched "The Princess Bride" as many times as our family has-some of my kids can repeat all the dialog- others now run screaming from the room-knows that , and can clearly not choose... to mention it.
smiley face here :>)

Ross Chambers
31-Jan-2011, 23:54
More likely that someone stole these, headed back to the Ol' Dart and sold them.

If we got them back, there'd probably be a Public Holiday gazetted...

For heaven's sake; from the book intro (a short quote for discussion purposes, allowed in the copyright regime--I wonder about the copyright of the French site??)

"In the late 1980s a vast collection of forensic crime photography, created by the New South Wales Police between 1912 and 1960, was rescued by the Historic Houses Trust from a flooded warehouse. (...)

"We salvaged about four tonnes of photographic material, including many glass plate negatives still in their original Kodak boxes, and transferred them to cavernous loft of the museum. (...)

"Fifteen years later, after a great deal of study, the Trust has published this selection of photographs from its extraordinary archive to coincide with the 'City of Shadows' exhibition."

The book is Copyright 2005.

Did the French seek permission? Who are the crims?

cosmicexplosion
1-Feb-2011, 04:11
my great great grandfather was sent as a convict to australia from england for forging bank notes,
apparently he was very good at that part. i am trying to forge my own Art for the

same purpose, but as i am already here i needn't worry!:D

cosmicexplosion
1-Feb-2011, 04:12
[QUOTE=Frank Petronio;680744]Kind of a redundant use of two words isn't it?

if adam and eve wernt criminals...

Steven Tribe
1-Feb-2011, 04:46
It is decades since any Australian raised their hackles at any suggestion of "transportation" ancestors. It has become a very big plus in the family tree - pointing to early arrival. I could say something similar about the various early Colonists in what became New England, but intepretation of the history and motivation of early colonist settlements is a sensitive area. No politics here!!

Frank Petronio
1-Feb-2011, 06:16
Basing the culture on being mostly criminals, it probably made for a more fair, polite, and resourceful society. Pirate ships were the first employee owned businesses... they voted on everything quite fairly. Except for conscription ;-)

mdm
1-Feb-2011, 12:19
The Peter Lik nation. All saturated colours and no substance.

Lachlan 717
1-Feb-2011, 13:05
The Peter Lik nation.

Better than being the Dave Dobbyn Nation.

mdm
1-Feb-2011, 13:06
We are loyal.

cosmicexplosion
2-Feb-2011, 02:19
will you two kiss and make up, or this squabbling will infect every thread you are both on which is not the point!

it is also pointless to compare as both have there points. NZ has some insanely beautiful nature condensed into a tiny island, Maoris can eat most Aussies for breakfast, a good islander party where every one sings is way better that the boring individualistic parties of australia, bla bla bla the list goes on

australia is a boring country town where every thing looks the same and is nothing but a post modern abortion of global politics gone wrong, it is a racist immature country, where footy beer and commodores rule over art music and humanity. all our artists move over seas as we dont have the population/intelligence to back them. we hate any one who is talented as that makes the group look bad aka 'tall poppy syndrome' and any one who is different gets beaten up. our country has been sold to foreigners who take profits out, and we are left only with a red neck wonderland.

the above whilst true is an exercise in bias.

i cant be bothered writing any mor...

Robert Hughes
2-Feb-2011, 11:32
Truer words were never, uh... :confused:

mdm
2-Feb-2011, 12:16
Just a bit of teasing. Dont worry about it. Keeps you on your toes.

I have family all over Australia, my grandmother grew up in Manly, during the thirties, when it wasnt Sydney. Her father moved there because he ran out of people to defraud in the rest of the empire and thought you might be easy pickings, he was correct.

will you two kiss and make up, or this squabbling will infect every thread you are both on which is not the point!

it is also pointless to compare as both have there points. NZ has some insanely beautiful nature condensed into a tiny island, Maoris can eat most Aussies for breakfast, a good islander party where every one sings is way better that the boring individualistic parties of australia, bla bla bla the list goes on

australia is a boring country town where every thing looks the same and is nothing but a post modern abortion of global politics gone wrong, it is a racist immature country, where footy beer and commodores rule over art music and humanity. all our artists move over seas as we dont have the population/intelligence to back them. we hate any one who is talented as that makes the group look bad aka 'tall poppy syndrome' and any one who is different gets beaten up. our country has been sold to foreigners who take profits out, and we are left only with a red neck wonderland.

Lachlan 717
2-Feb-2011, 13:19

Wow, we have finally found the male Germaine Greer...

cosmicexplosion
3-Feb-2011, 02:45
Wow, we have finally found the male Germaine Greer...

now worries mdm, ps my family used to be one of the richest f***ers in nz back in the day, one of the main streets in Auckland is named after them.

and..

thanks locky

lets see if i can live up to that.

ps how did you go with the toyo m field, did you give it a whirl?

i am still thinking of getting one, only thing that stops me is you cant get a 4x10 back for them.

I have been trying to figure out how to make an adapter for say a chamonix 4x10 back.

cosmicexplosion
3-Feb-2011, 02:49
oh and i dont mean to come across as the thought police

you two can fight for king and country all you want.

in fact

i am going to join in and stick it up both of you try hards!

Richard Mahoney
3-Feb-2011, 03:46
Took you guys long enough to catch that.

And I imagine it would have taken even longer if you'd muttered something about a tautology.

Richard ``happily exiled across the ditch'' Mahoney

cosmicexplosion
3-Feb-2011, 04:14
[QUOTE=Frank Petronio;681559]Basing the culture on being mostly criminals, it probably made for a more fair, polite, and resourceful society.

it is a nice theory but sadly the opposite was true.

the first criminals became cops when released, rum was drunk instead of water, it was also (the currency) and aboriginals were slaughtered against England's wishes.

as you can imagine it was chaos.

all the roads in sydney reflect this. It is a wild and passionate city. not demure like melbourne.

there is an old saying 'melbourne is a lady and sydney a whore'. (the two main rival citys)

in melbourne where the gold rush lined the coffers all the streets are in massive grids and only a drunk can get lost.

It is my impression, that being mostly english in an alien and harsh landscape, they were mostly lost and took a while to come to terms with it.

but there is something weird in australia, a kind of unfathomable void.

Lachlan 717
3-Feb-2011, 04:16
ps how did you go with the toyo m field, did you give it a whirl?

i am still thinking of getting one, only thing that stops me is you cant get a 4x10 back for them.

I have been trying to figure out how to make an adapter for say a chamonix 4x10 back.

Nah, 810M now is now happily eating Schnitzel and drinking Hoegaarden in Germany.

It's became a red-haired stepchild when I got a new-to-me 7x17.

I'll help you with the 4x10 if you can help me with a 7x17 fresnel!

(By the way, there's a Shen Hao 8x10/4x10 reduction back on eBay at the moment. Perhaps get it cheap and by a Shen?)

eddie
3-Feb-2011, 05:21
australia is a boring country town where every thing looks the same and is nothing but a post modern abortion of global politics gone wrong, it is a racist immature country, where footy beer and commodores rule over art music and humanity.

i lived in Oz for 3 years. i kinda remember it being just like the above paragraph....hhhhmmmm? i much preferred my 3 years in NZ.

i used to think the aussies were racist.....but then i realized they hate everyone equally. they get drunk and want to fight....

i lived in Brisbane mostly but got up to the N coast, sydney, melbourne, perth and tassy. tassy being my favorite place. now you all know where my experiences of Oz came from.....one island i will never be going back to!

cosmicexplosion
3-Feb-2011, 05:51
[QUOTE=Lachlan 617;682556]Nah,

I'll help you with the 4x10 if you can help me with a 7x17 fresnel!

either just cut one up for extra 7" or cut two up at 8.5

or just wack one in the middle.

what size do they make them for cars?

...thats all i got.

shens any goot?