PDA

View Full Version : I need a recessed lens board for my Linhof Master Technika?

Studebaker
29-Jan-2011, 08:02
Hi friends, i have a Linhof mastertechnika and have too a 65 super-angulon from Schneider, but don't have a lensboard for it.
I think taht i need a Copal 0 lensboard but, i need a recessed lensboard or a normal lensboard from Schneider?
Thanks for your answers

This is my camera
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6223/linhof.jpg

Bob Salomon
29-Jan-2011, 09:15
You need either the special Linhof helical focusing mount on its special board for the 65mm or the discontinued Linhof Wide Angle Focus Device with a Technika 23 board to properly use lenses shorter then 72mm on a Master Technika Colassic or on a Super Technika V which you pictured here or on the IV. If you have the Master Technika 3000 or the discontinued Master Technika 2000 then you would need different boards.

The Master has the lift-up top flap for increased movement with short lenses and the covering is black. The pictured camera does not seem to have the top flap or black covering but it does have the crank for rise which makes it the V which was discontinued in 1976.

Studebaker
29-Jan-2011, 10:02
Thanks Bob.
So, this item http://cgi.ebay.es/center-19mm-recessed-Lens-board-COPAL-0-4-LINHOF-wista-/350269725197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518db3da0d will be good for the 65mm?

Bob Salomon
29-Jan-2011, 10:28
Thanks Bob.
So, this item http://cgi.ebay.es/center-19mm-recessed-Lens-board-COPAL-0-4-LINHOF-wista-/350269725197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518db3da0d will be good for the 65mm?

Not at all. You need what I said in my answer before.

Studebaker
30-Jan-2011, 04:46
Ok.
I'll buy this one http://cgi.ebay.es/WIDE-ANGLE-DEVICE-4-LINHOF-TECHNIKA-4x5-helical-focus-/140463896511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b44cf7bf
Thanks

Bob Salomon
30-Jan-2011, 05:10
Ok.
I'll buy this one http://cgi.ebay.es/WIDE-ANGLE-DEVICE-4-LINHOF-TECHNIKA-4x5-helical-focus-/140463896511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b44cf7bf
Thanks

That also isn't a board specifically for your lens so you will noyt know if it can focus to infinity on the rails inside the camera. Nor does it have depth of field scales like all proper lens helical mounts do have.

So it may work, if so you saved some money. It probably does not work properly nd in that case you are making the one that you do need even more expensive.

You can do it or do it right. DOF is rather important with these things. I know that I use it all the time to hand hold and control maximum and minimum DOF.

Neal Chaves
1-Feb-2011, 07:31
If you want to avoid cost and complexity, just mount the 65 on a flat board. No movements of the front are possible with this lens in any case. Slide the mounted lens back onto the fixed tracks in the body, drop the bed, and focus by watching the ground glass until you find the right place to release the locking clamp on the front standard.

The 4X5 Technika can cam-couple to lenses shorter than 75mm. I had a 58mm Grandagon fitted in a modified recessed Technika board and cut down a 75mm cam for it. It was in a 00 shutter, and I'm not sure that an 0 shutter will go back far enough inside the modified Linhof board.

If you want to do this hand-held RF work with short lenses on 4X5, consider the TRF Crown Graphic. On the Crown, the tracks inside the body move with focus. You can mount the infinity stops for short lenses on the tracks behind the lens (remember to fold them down to fully retract the lens if you close it up in the camera). Cutting a cam for the TRF Crown is easy.

I have a 65mm f8 Fujinon SW set up for my Crown now and use the regular Graphic wide angle attachment on the finder with roll film, and a 20mm Russian finder for 35mm when I use the full 4X5. I had a 58mm working on a Crown the same way, but sold it years ago to a guy who made a lot of money with it doing condo interiors.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2011, 08:30
"If you want to avoid cost and complexity, just mount the 65 on a flat board. No movements of the front are possible with this lens in any case. Slide the mounted lens back onto the fixed tracks in the body, drop the bed, and focus by watching the ground glass until you find the right place to release the locking clamp on the front standard."

If this way assured optimal performance from very short lenses then Linhof would have made the camera do this. But that is not a precise way to focus a lens. Neither is trying to move the back in and out while keeping the lens in the housing.

Your method is similar to how Linhof handles ultra short lenses (down to 35mm) in the 3000 but in that camera they built in a helical to precisely position the front standard within the camera body to ensure optimal performance from the lens and not end up with a ruined shot by imprecise controls.

Neal Chaves
1-Feb-2011, 09:20
I'm reminded of a story about Sgt. Alvin York (brilliantly played by Gary Cooper in the film "Sgt. York". Alvin was a good old mountain boy and moonshiner who found himself in the Army in WW1. On the rifle range, the instructors laughed at the way he shouldered his weapon, and the idiots in the butts gave him "Maggie's Drawers" when they looked up at his target. However, when the target was pulled down, Alvin's five shots were found closely grouped in the X-ring. He was pretty good with an empty rifle, too, capturing a whole lot of Germans and winning the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Then there was Carlos Hathcock, USMC who served in Vietnam at a time when it was costing US tax-payers one million dollars for each enemy kill. Sgt. Hathcock killed hundreds by himself, with a bolt action rifle and scope that could be purchased in any big sporting goods store, and on all but a few, he used only one shot.

Bob Salomon
1-Feb-2011, 10:05
I'm reminded of a story about Sgt. Alvin York (brilliantly played by Gary Cooper in the film "Sgt. York". Alvin was a good old mountain boy and moonshiner who found himself in the Army in WW1. On the rifle range, the instructors laughed at the way he shouldered his weapon, and the idiots in the butts gave him "Maggie's Drawers" when they looked up at his target. However, when the target was pulled down, Alvin's five shots were found closely grouped in the X-ring. He was pretty good with an empty rifle, too, capturing a whole lot of Germans and winning the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Then there was Carlos Hathcock, USMC who served in Vietnam at a time when it was costing US tax-payers one million dollars for each enemy kill. Sgt. Hathcock killed hundreds by himself, with a bolt action rifle and scope that could be purchased in any big sporting goods store, and on all but a few, he used only one shot.

Shooting a camera is quite different then shooting a Springfield. How flat the corners are don't matter very much on the battlefield. But don't do sniping the right way and you might just not live to regret it!