PDA

View Full Version : Mt Rainier NP

Scott Knowles
27-Jan-2011, 20:52
I've been working on a photo guide to Mt. Rainier NP, which is available here (http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtstart.html), and doing some thinking out loud (yes, no one else is in the office during these episodes) I was trying to think if LF photographers have any unique or special interests or needs in the NP or related to work in the NP (non-photo commerical).

The guide is specifically focused on the NP (within NP boundaries). This allows me to use the whole array of sources and information as it's either public domain or public knowledge. Only the actual presentation of any information is copyrighted, not the information itself. Outside of local sources for film and supplies, I can't think of anything LF photographers need over other photographers. Ok, besides good light and no wind.

So I'm open to suggestions for a description and/or map Web page(s).

Brian Sims
27-Jan-2011, 21:25
In a very popular NP like Mt. Rainier, there are times when your beautiful landscape may be cluttered with people. It might be a useful "helpful hint" to publish times of day, days of week, months of the year with lowest visitors. And you might throw in the photographic gems you can find in the off season. I especially like late september into October because of the reds and yellows. There are cetain times of the year where cool cloud formations take center stage. I also think some advice for LFers about low impact is important. Walk easy on the meadows...set up your gear on the rocks if you can (actually a very sturdy place for tripod).

domaz
27-Jan-2011, 22:40
Scott-

I have to say your guide to MRNP is great. Despite the fact that I visit the park at least once a month (more in the summer) I always seem to find some new nugget of information when I read your guide.

As for the orginial question-
Perhaps for LF, and other photographers, who like to venture "far from the car" a section describing some backcountry trips, the time it takes to do them, and what photo subjects they would be likely to find there would be helpful. This would allow the photographer make a decision on which backcountry trip to embark on to get the subject matter they are looking for. For a LF photographer lugging a lot of gear it's especially important to pick the "right trail". Of course this does get into somewhat subjective territory, but I think most guides stray there at some point.

Scott Knowles
29-Jan-2011, 07:15
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look to find ways to incorporate them into the photo guide. The guide is a one person operation, and I've added far more than I had originally planned and more than I have time except scheduled over the next few years. And getting old and facing health issues in recent years hasn't helped. But all that said, they'll find their way into the guide as LF photographers do have some unique issues, some which I learned in a conversation with Pat O'Hara a few years ago.

John Berry
2-Feb-2011, 11:09
I have been shooting the mountain since 1970. I have plenty of nice shots. I have thought about something like you are doing. I always wondered,can they come after you later for shots that would be now commercial use and no record of any permit?

Scott Knowles
2-Feb-2011, 20:25
I have been shooting the mountain since 1970. I have plenty of nice shots. I have thought about something like you are doing. I always wondered,can they come after you later for shots that would be now commercial use and no record of any permit?

No. Mt. Rainier NP is public property and the use of any photo taken in the NP is not subject to copyright laws whether or not any of the photos are used for commerical or professional purposes, including ads. Permits are only required which use extensive setup, including generators, lights, etc., requires access to restricted areas, or requires using public space which interfers with the public or NPS staff. This is explained in the NP Guidelines (http://wsrmtrnp.blogspot.com/2008/07/photography-in-np.html) for photo permits. You can happily shoot all you want and use the photos as you see fit. Happy shooting.

--Scott--

ps. If you have galleries on a Website of your photos, please let me know to add it to those currently working in Mt. Rainier NP. I'd like to see them to see what changes have occurred.