PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Adorama

alharding
26-Jan-2011, 15:32
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not, but I wanted to warn fellow photographers to be very wary of dealing with Adorama in terms of buying/selling used equipment. I just spent the last week trying to track down equipment i sent them 15 days ago for a price quote. They made it sound like the quote would be fast and they would give me fair value, but of course that was bogus. After waiting a week of waiting, they made a very low offer and. I was told it would be immediately returned to me after I rejected the quote. It didn't show up for a week.Every time I called they gave me a runaround. As it turned out it was lost in the warehouse. They were unsympathetic, rude and didn't return any messages I left. As of right now, I still don't have my equipment and I'm honestly not sure if I'll see it any time soon. I'm not sure if this is typical, but either way I'd stay away.

Be wary,

Al Harding

GabrielSeri
26-Jan-2011, 15:58
I'm glad you told us about this and sorry for the inconvenience. I was going to sell them my phase one digital back but the guy on the phone seemed sketchy, rude and in a hurry for me to send them the item. My spidey sense told me not to do the deal and I see I wasn't wrong. However, I'm sure it will be sent to you soon.

Gabriel

mikebarger
26-Jan-2011, 15:59
Very, very different than the excellent service I've had with Adorama.

If you visit over to APUG, Helen is a customer advocate for Adorama, might talk with her.

Mike

rguinter
26-Jan-2011, 16:08
I have never had a problem with Adorama directly and have bought a lot of equipment and supplies through them over the years.

But unfortunately none recently.

They are using a credit checking service called "Verified by VISA" which is not affiliated with my Chase issued VISA card.

And I refuse to use these types of services because they require me to re-enter credit info to a third party... something which I find objectionable.

So unfortunately they have lost my recent business to B&H and Freestyle.

Bob G.

Heywood
26-Jan-2011, 16:13
I'm from nyc and have been in the store a few times. If you were to see how chaotic it can get in the store at times you'd have second thoughts about sending stuff away blindly

Ash
26-Jan-2011, 16:21
Bob, Verified By Visa is popular in the UK, but it's an odd system since people often forget the secret passwords they set. As far as I'm aware it's not a third party as such, more of a tool integrated with the banks to avoid fraud. I may be wrong.

Bob Kerner
26-Jan-2011, 19:02
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'd have to say that my experiences there, both buying and selling used gear have been wonderful.

I bought a Crown there on a Wed and returned it on the same Sunday when I realized it wasn't quite what I wanted. I expected a thorough PITA trying to return a used item, but they dealt with me pleasantly. Full refund no questions asked. More recently I sold a Leica to them and got a fair price and walked out with a check in my hands. I actually find their salespeople easier to deal with than the other big store in NYC.

I'd suggest that you contact them directly to voice your displeasure rather than steering everyone away from a shop with an otherwise fine reputation.

Rory_5244
26-Jan-2011, 19:44
I had a similar experience in selling them a mint Rollei 6008i. They gave me a low price quote which didn't include the price of the 80mm lens. They gave me a run-around about sending it back to me. When I did capitulate and sold it they didn't credit my account until 5 calls and weeks later. Don't sell to them.

Brian Ellis
26-Jan-2011, 20:08
I've never dealt with Adorama as a seller of gear but as a customer they've been great, several times going above and beyond to do something for me that they didn't have to do, e.g. accepting a return after I had filled out the registration cards and accepting a return of defective equipment after the return period had expired (something B&H wouldn't do).

I don't know if there are any retail outfits that are very good as buyers of used equipment. KEH gets mostly raves from people buying from them but they were a disaster for me when I sold them some things. And today, with the availability of on-line sources such as this forum, photo.net, Fred Miranda, and others, not to mention ebay, I don't why anyone would sell to a retail store and take a wholesale price which is what they're going to give you.

Kirk Gittings
26-Jan-2011, 20:27
I can't speak for their turn around times (that seems inexcusable), but any dealer is going to offer you HALF (wholesale price) of what they think they can sell it for. If anyone is expecting to sell an item at near retail price to a dealer they are bound to think the dealers offer it is way low.

cuypers1807
26-Jan-2011, 21:09
You are better off selling gear on Ebay. Both Adorama and B&H have given very low estimates of gear I contemplated sending to them. Sometimes really low... like almost 1/2 what I got on Ebay. I luckily got quotes over the phone before I ever sent any gear off. I have bought new and used gear from Adorama with no issues.

Joby

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
26-Jan-2011, 21:10
I have sold and bought from Adorama, and always had positive experiences. I suggest you email or call Helen and she will probably sort it out.

GSX4
26-Jan-2011, 21:16
KEH is the best of the bunch!...

Roger Cole
26-Jan-2011, 21:18
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'd have to say that my experiences there, both buying and selling used gear have been wonderful.

I bought a Crown there on a Wed and returned it on the same Sunday when I realized it wasn't quite what I wanted. I expected a thorough PITA trying to return a used item, but they dealt with me pleasantly. Full refund no questions asked. More recently I sold a Leica to them and got a fair price and walked out with a check in my hands. I actually find their salespeople easier to deal with than the other big store in NYC.

I'd suggest that you contact them directly to voice your displeasure rather than steering everyone away from a shop with an otherwise fine reputation.

I've never dealt with Adorama as a seller of gear but as a customer they've been great, several times going above and beyond to do something for me that they didn't have to do, e.g. accepting a return after I had filled out the registration cards and accepting a return of defective equipment after the return period had expired (something B&H wouldn't do).

I don't know if there are any retail outfits that are very good as buyers of used equipment. KEH gets mostly raves from people buying from them but they were a disaster for me when I sold them some things. And today, with the availability of on-line sources such as this forum, photo.net, Fred Miranda, and others, not to mention ebay, I don't why anyone would sell to a retail store and take a wholesale price which is what they're going to give you.

Two good points - I'd try further to sort it out with them first. And you ARE going to get what seems a low ball price from a dealer, for just this reason. KEH has been great for me to deal with in buying, but I've never tried selling them anything, and probably wouldn't unless it was something big, heavy or otherwise expensive to ship. Since they're just across town I could just take it to them rather than shipping to someone across the country on eBay. Unacceptable price or not, of course that's no excuse for not getting your stuff back in a timely manner nor for rudeness, but then mistakes do happen. I'd try using the contact others gave over on APUG.

I have bought from Adorama in the past with no issues, but not tried to sell.

Rory_5244
26-Jan-2011, 21:36
Oh, buying from Adorama is great. However they attempted to give me a quote based on a Rollei body they had for sale (used) online without factoring in the 80mm lens cost as well hoping I wouldn't notice. That is just crooked. I got the impression that, to them, dealing with a customer from a Third World country equated to dealing with an idiot. This was in the 90s, however, and there were few places online to sell to at the time.

Bob Kerner
26-Jan-2011, 21:58
Selling to a merchant is almost always a losing proposition, in my experience. They always low-ball you because they're in business to make a profit. But sometime (for me at least) taking the low ball offer is less aggravation than trying to sell on Ebay or a forum where I cannot tell whether the buyer will turn into a headache. In the case of my Leica, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, particularly since there was something I wanted at Adorama and it was easy to do one transaction.

Do give them a call and voice your concern. It might be something they can easily fix if they hear about it directly from the customer.

IanG
27-Jan-2011, 02:14
In the UK, maybe elsewhere, it's possible to get a dealer to sell on a commission basis.]

The advantages for the store is it pays out no cash up front, they only add tax, VAT, to they're mark-up which at 20% at present can make a big difference to the final sales price, making a commission sale item more competitive and more likely to sell.

The disadvantage for the seller is it's not immediate payment, but the store takes a smaller cut so you get more.

Having bought & sold cameras & lenses etc that way in the past I'd certainly do the same if I didn't use these forums or ebay.

Ian

rguinter
27-Jan-2011, 04:54
Bob, Verified By Visa is popular in the UK, but it's an odd system since people often forget the secret passwords they set. As far as I'm aware it's not a third party as such, more of a tool integrated with the banks to avoid fraud. I may be wrong.

OK. But I never use these types of systems that require re-entering sensitive data, in a separate window, after the process is (or should have been) completed.

They are indistinguishable from mal-ware.

Bob G.

Ben Calwell
27-Jan-2011, 06:19
I've always had pleasant experiences dealing with Jim at Midwest Photo in Columbus, Ohio. I've never sold them anything, but I have traded cameras there on several occasions and received what I thought are excellent trade-in deals on used-for-used equipment.

Brian Ellis
27-Jan-2011, 06:32
It's interesting that two threads below this one there's a thread titled "Biggest Steal you ever made," in which people recount how they bought great equipment and paid next to nothing for it. Apparently when we're sellers and a dealer offers us a low price it's fraud but when we're buyers and pay much less than the gear is worth it's something to brag about. Which isn't intended as a criticism of anyone who managed to "steal" equipment, it's a comment on human nature.

Michael Graves
27-Jan-2011, 07:51
I've never purchased used equipment from Adorama, however, I have had numerous transactions with them for film, paper and accessories. I have yet to have a bad experience. For used gear, if I don't find what I want here after a while and get impatient, it's Midwest or KEH for me. Never had a bad experience with them either.

Thad Gerheim
27-Jan-2011, 08:15
I had a terrible experience with Adorama and lost about $200. It wasn't a pleasure to be constantly lied to for close to a year when I finally gave up. I bought a part for a spotting scope that was the wrong part and returned it, then tried to get the right part or a refund. All I got was a run around on who's dept. I needed to talk to and they would call right back,"right".
I never have had a problem with B&H, but don't mind tying Adorama to the whipping post for what I went through.

Thad

Helen6
27-Jan-2011, 09:20
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not, but I wanted to warn fellow photographers to be very wary of dealing with Adorama in terms of buying/selling used equipment.

Al, I was really concerned to read your posting; please email me with your quote number so I can look into how this happened

I'm from nyc and have been in the store a few times. If you were to see how chaotic it can get in the store at times you'd have second thoughts about sending stuff away blindly

I'd love to get more feedback from you on this / suggestions how we could improve

Very, very different than the excellent service I've had with Adorama.
If you visit over to APUG, Helen is a customer advocate for Adorama, might talk with her.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'd have to say that my experiences there, both buying and selling used gear have been wonderful….a shop with an otherwise fine reputation.

I've never dealt with Adorama as a seller of gear but as a customer they've been great, several times going above and beyond to do something for me that they didn't have to do,

…. I have bought new and used gear from Adorama with no issues.

I have sold and bought from Adorama, and always had positive experiences. I suggest you email or call Helen and she will probably sort it out.

I've never purchased used equipment from Adorama, however, I have had numerous transactions with them for film, paper and accessories. I have yet to have a bad experience.

Thanks Mike, Bob, Brian, Joby, Jason, Michael

.....any dealer is going to offer you HALF (wholesale price) of what they think they can sell it for.

Actually, at Adorama it's around 70%; possibly more if being taken as a trade-in.

Oh, buying from Adorama is great. However they attempted to give me a quote based on a Rollei body they had for sale (used) online …. This was in the 90s….

Sounds horrible…..but we have a completely new Management since then!

I had a terrible experience with Adorama and lost about $200. ….. don't mind tying Adorama to the whipping post for what I went through.

Without additional information all I can do is apologize at this point.
If you email me directly with additional information – eg your transaction number, I will certainly investigate and if I find that we owe you $200 then it will be paid to you.

Helen Oster ☺
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
HelenO@adorama.com

http://twitter.com/HelenOster

Noah A
27-Jan-2011, 10:13
I've had no problems with Adorama though I do normally buy from B&H. Like many other online retailers, Adorama doesn't seem to have real-time stock info on their website. For instance, I want to order 25 boxes of the new Portra 400. It's listed on their site and the site allowed me to put it in my cart. But I called to check the stock and they said they had NONE.

With B&H, if you add something to your cart it will tell you if you've exceeded the amount they have in-stock at the time. Of course B&H doesn't have my film right now either...

But if adorama could add this feature it would be greatly appreciated. There's nothing worse than ordering something then getting a call or email that it's backordered. Especially if you need whatever you ordered to shoot a job. I will not choose any company as my main supplier if they don't have live stock info.

I've ordered a few used things from Adorama, most were OK. The grading seems more accurate than, say, KEH, which tends to be conservative in their ratings. An Adorama EX is probably really EX. A KEH EX, in some cases at least, is near mint. My latest EX+ lens from KEH looks like new, I can't find any flaws whatsoever.

I had one lens from Adorama that wasn't really as described, since it was supposed to be (d)emo and it was really pretty marked up even on the glass. However, I returned the lens and got a prompt refund, so they handled it well.

To be fair, last year I ordered some EX gear from KEH, a pentax 67 lens and camera body, and the mount was so badly bent it wouldn't mount on the camera. Again I got a prompt refund.

Frankly, I wouldn't sell gear to any retailer. Even 70% is not worth it. I'd rather sell it privately and keep more of the cash for myself.

alharding
27-Jan-2011, 14:18
I just got off the phone with a very helpful service rep at Adorama. Long story short, they were very apologetic and understanding of the situation. In short, They made up for the inconvenience, heard my concerns and made me feel a lot better about their service in general. Its a very good thing when a business does make good on a bad situation. Very much appreciated here. No bad blood.

Al Harding

Roger Cole
27-Jan-2011, 14:19
It's interesting that two threads below this one there's a thread titled "Biggest Steal you ever made," in which people recount how they bought great equipment and paid next to nothing for it. Apparently when we're sellers and a dealer offers us a low price it's fraud but when we're buyers and pay much less than the gear is worth it's something to brag about. Which isn't intended as a criticism of anyone who managed to "steal" equipment, it's a comment on human nature.

I noticed this as well. Frankly some of the postings in that thread do not speak well of the posters, though I refrained from commenting (and continue to do so) on any specific ones, such things being matters between the buyer, the seller, and the buyer's conscious. Personally, if someone knows what something is worth and just prices it low to move it NOW, fair enough, I'll take it. But I won't pay pennies on the dollar for something just because the seller inherited it or took it in trade when they didn't know what it was really worth, at least not without pointing out to them that it's worth a lot more. One exception I'll make (had this happen with ham radio gear) is if I try to speak politely with them and they become hostile or pushy, like insisting they won't take a penny less when I was just trying to tell them it was worth MORE. Otherwise, I may spend more money on the rare occasions I might stumble on something like that, but I'll sleep well. Others may gladly take the seller to the cleaners and still sleep well. YMMV.

Al, I was really concerned to read your posting; please email me with your quote number so I can look into how this happened

I'd love to get more feedback from you on this / suggestions how we could improve

Without additional information all I can do is apologize at this point.
If you email me directly with additional information – eg your transaction number, I will certainly investigate and if I find that we owe you $200 then it will be paid to you.

Helen Oster ☺
HelenO@adorama.com

http://twitter.com/HelenOster

Very classy response Helen. It speaks well of Adorama.

Graybeard
27-Jan-2011, 15:55
I've personally experienced, over several years, sufficient rudeness and blatant incompetence from the Adorama staff that I don't consider dealing with them under any circumstances.

I regularly purchase from B&H and have had occasion to deal with their returns department when an order went wrong. They were hard-nosed businessmen regarding the returns but made good on everything that was their error. I've never felt cheated with B&H.

Marko
27-Jan-2011, 15:56
Otherwise, I may spend more money on the rare occasions I might stumble on something like that, but I'll sleep well. Others may gladly take the seller to the cleaners and still sleep well. YMMV.

Words of a true gentleman.

South seems to have a disproportionate share, for some reason...

:)

savantcreative
27-Jan-2011, 16:02
I have shopped there but never felt that comfortable particularly if I asked to examine a piece of used equipment. I prefer B&H in the city.

Helen6
28-Jan-2011, 07:34
I just got off the phone with a very helpful service rep at Adorama. Long story short, they were very apologetic and understanding of the situation. In short, They made up for the inconvenience, heard my concerns and made me feel a lot better about their service in general. Its a very good thing when a business does make good on a bad situation. Very much appreciated here. No bad blood.

Al Harding

Delighted to hear it!

Remember, I'm only ever an email away for queries or after-sales concerns regarding any order from Adorama

Helen6
28-Jan-2011, 07:38
I've personally experienced, over several years, sufficient rudeness and blatant incompetence from the Adorama staff that I don't consider dealing with them under any circumstances.

I'm really sorry; if I'm advised of any incident involving a member of staff I always investigate - and appropriate internal action is potentially an option...... It may well be that the person or persons you dealt with are no longer in Adorama's employ

I have shopped there but never felt that comfortable particularly if I asked to examine a piece of used equipment. I prefer B&H in the city.

There should never be a problem with this; the first point of reference is the store Manager, Martino - or of course, me: HelenO@adorama.com

Helen Oster

Two23
28-Jan-2011, 18:24
Several companies have represntatives who monitor internet forums. So far, this has always seemed to be a good thing. Problems get resolved.

Kent in SD

Pawlowski6132
28-Jan-2011, 20:04
Check out the For Sale forum here. It really works.

jloen
28-Jan-2011, 20:19
I had a similar experience.

Greg Blank
28-Jan-2011, 21:20
Photographers are some of the cheapest most anal people on the planet. Interestingly enough usually quite willing to share knowledge and experience freely....so I guess it all evens out ;)

Ed Kelsey
28-Jan-2011, 21:36
I'm not staying away from them. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Kinda bothers me when someone says "stay away" they're likely as much to blame as who they're accusing.

jan labij
29-Jan-2011, 07:52
I've only bought one item from adorama, and the service was fast, well packaged, and as described. That said ever since the sale I've been bombarded with advertising by e-mail on digital stuff. Too bad they can't send adv. on what one is interested in. How will they know? Well, if you buy a large format changing bag, you'd think someone working there would say to himself "Hmmm, this guy is into large format stuff, so let's put him on the large format list."

gevalia
29-Jan-2011, 08:07
KEH is the best of the bunch!...

I do not share your opinion.

mikebarger
29-Jan-2011, 08:07
Helen

Didn't realize you monitored this forum; I've seen your good work on APUG.

Thanks for your efforts!

Mike

mikebarger
29-Jan-2011, 16:59
Are these types of posts by Helen, who is a customer advocate at Adorama, banned by this forum?

Thanks

Mike

Eric Rose
29-Jan-2011, 18:51
I really hate these types of forum headlines. Geez if you got a beef, lay it out and let others decide if they want to deal with the company you are pissed with or not.

falth j
29-Jan-2011, 19:52
"Are these types of posts by Helen, who is a customer advocate at Adorama, banned by this forum?

Thanks

Mike"

I've seen posts by owners, managers, or other company representatives...

What would be any logical basis for a 'ban'?

Some people get to spout-off, and potentially libel a company or significantly hurt a company reputation, yet these people suffer nothing from such chracter assination when indeed, if they are part of the problem?

I'm sure a company has more to loose than obscure jabber mouth?

Its a two way street, if you choose to air your dirty laundry, then by all means a company should get a chance to defend itself, or at least bring to light their side of the story...

mikebarger
29-Jan-2011, 19:53
That's my thought too, although I suspect that is not the official position of the forum. I sent a note to the moderators asking for clarification.

Mike

Brian Ellis
29-Jan-2011, 20:14
I've only bought one item from adorama, and the service was fast, well packaged, and as described. That said ever since the sale I've been bombarded with advertising by e-mail on digital stuff. Too bad they can't send adv. on what one is interested in. How will they know? Well, if you buy a large format changing bag, you'd think someone working there would say to himself "Hmmm, this guy is into large format stuff, so let's put him on the large format list."

I'm pretty sure there's a place somewhere on all that Adorama spam letting you check a box or do something else that's very simple to put a stop to it. I hate that kind of thing too, it's like they're punishing you for being their customer.

dsphotog
29-Jan-2011, 20:47
I've had only good experiences with Adorama, BH, & KEH.

urs0polar
29-Jan-2011, 21:32
I have had good experiences with Adorama, B&H, and KEH. Since I live in midtown NYC, B&H is a 5 minute walk; Adorama is on the way home from work. KEH of course is a mouse click away (a very dangerou$$$ mouse click to my bleeding amex).

I've never sold anything to any of them, but I have bought used gear from all of them. I think that Adorama, B&H, Lens and Repro, and K&M in Tribeca (and J&R to a lesser extent as they have no LF or MF and their return policy sucks, but their prices are fair and they are legit) are the only places in the city you aren't going to get ripped off at, to put it bluntly. The worst that happens at B&H and Adorama is that they'll try to talk you into some sort of filter or camera case if you aren't careful, but it's not a sketchy "hard sell" or anything.

That said, I think Adorama's used department is set up a little strangely; with their "take a number" system in the store, you have to wait for a sales counter, then you have to wait for them to go and grab the item you are interested in, and it takes forever, and by the time you finally get the item (rated "accurately" rather than conservatively, as someone else posted above) you feel like you have to decide in two minutes or you are going to be bumped to the back of the line again (gotta sell those point and shoots and digital rebels). That said, it's NYC, so if you just keep a stiff upper lip, it usually works out fine. I do wish you could browse more used equipment though.

Glad to hear that they were able to fix the problem. Last time I dropped by about a month ago I picked up a box of 8x10 HP5 for around $10 less than B&H (one of those weird market fluctuations). So, Helen, whatever you guys do, don't stop selling LF film! I see the film counter being moved more and more out of the mainstream sales area, there's no expired LF bin anymore (1 month expired Velvia quickloads in sealed box for ~$20, anyone?) -- it's getting a little scary.

Helen6
30-Jan-2011, 04:16
I've had no problems with Adorama though I do normally buy from B&H. Like many other online retailers, Adorama doesn't seem to have real-time stock info on their website.....

But if adorama could add this feature it would be greatly appreciated....

It's on the way.....the Adorama website simply isn't configured to be able to do this right now, but it is in the planning stages.

Helen6
30-Jan-2011, 04:25
I've had no problems with Adorama though I do normally buy from B&H. Like many other online retailers, Adorama doesn't seem to have real-time stock info on their website.....

But if adorama could add this feature it would be greatly appreciated....

It's on the way.....the Adorama website simply isn't configured to be able to do this right now, but it is in the planning stages.

I've only bought one item from adorama.....I've been bombarded with advertising by e-mail on digital stuff.....if you buy a large format changing bag, you'd think someone working there would say to himself "Hmmm, this guy is into large format stuff, so let's put him on the large format list."

Our mailing lists aren't currently broken down so specifically; you can of course unsubscribe; if you email me directly I can take care of it for you, you can do it directly via our website or at the bottom of any of the mailings.

Helen

Didn't realize you monitored this forum; I've seen your good work on APUG.

Thanks for your efforts!

Mike

Always pleased to be able to help, Mike

Are these types of posts by Helen, who is a customer advocate at Adorama, banned by this forum?

I sincerely hope not; I'm an Independent Consultant not a direct Adorama employee, and my role is to promote the position and rights of Adorama customers!

Ken Lee
30-Jan-2011, 08:48
I have changed the title of this thread to something more "respectful and professional" (see Forum Guidelines (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_gen_rules_faq_item)) and less... sensational.

mikebarger
30-Jan-2011, 15:44
Thanks Ken,

It sure looks better.

Helen6
30-Jan-2011, 15:47
I have changed the title of this thread to something more "respectful and professional" (see Forum Guidelines (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_gen_rules_faq_item)) and less... sensational.

Thank you

photobymike
30-Jan-2011, 21:30
WOW good customer service goes a long way to keep happy customers.

I read all of the post and really did not want to jump in. I really wanted to say something here but did not want to be negative. I read a lot, but dont say much.

so no opinion, fact: in the last 3 years I have spent over 16 thousand dollars with B&H, KEH, Freestyle, and Photographer's Formulary.