PDA

View Full Version : BRAND NEW to Large Format, got a few questions

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 10:21
I just picked up a Cambo 4x5 camera, I'm assuming it to be the SC45.

It came with a Kapture Group sliding digital adapter back, but of course no capture device.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get this camera ready to shoot film, or hopefuly, shoot some sort of instant film.

I do NOT have a ground glass or film holder on the back of the camera.

What exactly would I need to get into the instant film game?

What I assume I need is the Fuji PA45 to hold the actual film, and then this slides into... what? Does this slide into a generic ground glass/film holder?

What's a good way to get a ground glass/film holder? They seem to be almost as expensive as a lens!

Ideally I want to get rid of this Kapture Group sliding back (it's setup for a PhaseOne) and move back into film.

I have a lot of experience with full-manual photography (I have shot roughly 3000 photos on a broken Pentax K1000 with no light meter) and want to try this large format game.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2011, 10:31
I assume that the digital adapter is held ont the camera using the Graflock sliders so removing it might be easy. I don't know that for sure, though. It sounds like you don't have the spring part of the Cambo back but I saw at least one of them ebay the other day so replacing it might just be a matter of $$. That would be needed to focus (the ground glass) and to hold regular film holders.

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 10:38
I assume that the digital adapter is held ont the camera using the Graflock sliders so removing it might be easy. I don't know that for sure, though. It sounds like you don't have the spring part of the Cambo back but I saw at least one of them ebay the other day so replacing it might just be a matter of $$. That would be needed to focus (the ground glass) and to hold regular film holders.

The Kapture group does in fact mount using the small sliding switch on the rear of the camera (now this has a new name to me, the 'graflock') and when i take it off, it basically leaves just the rear frame.

The 'spring part' you mean, is that the entire unit that would click into the same graflock connector and would be an inetegral ground glass/film holder and has a little lever to pop the ground class back to slide in the film holder?

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2011, 11:24
After you remove the digital back you should see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMBO-CAMERA-ADAPTER-FRAME-NEW-PART-MINT-NR-/110575891047?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item19bed63267

If not, you might need to buy one.

If you see that, then you'll need this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMBO-CAMERA-REAR-GROUND-GLASS-FRAME-ADAPTER-HOLDER-NR-/110575891180?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item19bed632ec

You need both of these parts on the back of your Cambo to take regular LF film pictures.

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 11:45
Here's some photos of the back I have and the camera. These arent of MY caera, but I took these from a very similar camera I saw on ebay last week.

Kuzano
26-Jan-2011, 14:36
Looking at the second picture, you can see on the larger outer frame of the back, the two chrome clips at the bottom which the back drops into, and the sliding tab at the top (about two inches long) that engage two notches in the top of the back. This is a typical proprietary (OEM) back engagement mechanism for Cambo backs.

You will need to find a standard Cambo back which then has the attachment mechanisms for a more universal film holding mechanism, such as graflok (grafllok is basically two chrome sliders that engage the sides of film holders and other back accessories... one was pictured in a previous post) and/or other accessories.

So, look for a Cambo back that matches the outer dimensions and notches of the outer perimeter of your digital back. When you take the whole digital back off you should just have a square hole the size of the Cambo back frame.

You may spend some time looking for a back. I would search for Cambo camera's that may be parts camera's wherein you may be able to scavenge a back.

Watch eBay, rinse and repeat, until you achieve success.

Or, look for a complete camera. Sometimes, considering how prices have dropped, you are much further ahead to buy a complete camera to start with. Unless the Cambo you have was free, or almost free, I'd look for a whole camera.

But then, I am me...... I would probably waste untold hours trying to put together a kit from parts scavenged from around the world and listed on eBay. Shipping and time spent (@ $50 per hour, which is what I charge myself) will surely take me way over the price of just buying what I should have in the first place.:D

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2011, 15:38
You'll need both of the parts I mentioned above. The nominal size is 6 inch by 6 inch.

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2011, 15:40
Or, look for a complete camera. Sometimes, considering how prices have dropped, you are much further ahead to buy a complete camera to start with. Unless the Cambo you have was free, or almost free, I'd look for a whole camera.

This is what I was tempted to suggest earlier in the thread but wanted to wait until I saw a picture of what you have.

Be patient with ebay, I've seen complete backs come to auction for less than the cost of those two parts mentioned above.

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 16:11
The camera was in fact free, given to me by my gf's parents who used to own a photo store.

The camera is in fantastic condition and the lens seems to be perfect, so I will probably take the ill-advised route of making this one whole again either through a parts camera purchase or ebay hunting for the individual parts.

Does this kapture group back have any residual value in and of itself?

Maybe there's some perfect cosmological alignment I can work with and find someone with a Phase One Lightphase who wants to use it on his oldschool film Cambo 4x5 haha.

engl
26-Jan-2011, 16:38
Could I ask what lens? If it was used with a digital back, there is a risk that it will not cover 4x5.

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 16:47
i have 65 and 90mm Nikkors

It seems mighty hard to track down a back piece...

Oh, that brings up a good question. What is the technical name of what I am looking for?

Is it "Back board" or "rear frame" or "cambo rear adapter?"

Kuzano
26-Jan-2011, 19:32
First... look at this eBay listing....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-Cambo-4x5-Camera-45N-45-SC-w-extras-LOOK-/320646620137?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4aa80723e9

Does this look like your camera?
It is a Cambo SC.
I wish the picture of the back was clearer, but this looks like the back standard you have if you have a Cambo SC. It looks somewhat like the back you posted insofar as attaching the back.

If this is the back, then this has the ground glass and film holder, PLUS it has the two graflok slides which mount a whole array of film accessories including roll film holders and QuickLoad/Easyload fim holders for prepackaged 4X5 film envelopes.

If this is the back you need, this whole camera is listed for $159 BIN. I'd be surprised if you could find the back you need, alone, for less than $100.

That's why I suggested you look at a whole camera purchase.

Last there are a number of Cambo SC cameras listed on eBay... some with better pictures, which would allow you to look closer at the mechanism.

At the very least you can get a complete, working, probably well used, Cambo SC for $159 plus shipping. The good news is that if it matches your camera, you have many used parts. The other good news is that perhaps, (but I doubt it)--- your digital back can be sold to recapture a bit of the price of the parts you need.

Hope this helps.... It's a bit of a science to put together all the stuff you need to make a whole camera, and can be fun. But, it delays the real issue... getting some film in a large format camera and getting out there shooting.

Personally, I do use the prepacked film and Easyload back, the latest model without the history. This only requires that you have a camera with ground glass capability, although the graflok's do expand the range of the camera.

BTW.... you have to stop with the negative statements like "It looks like it will be mighty hard to track down the back piece"...Stop IT! I just took this dive into eBay about 20 minutes ago. Nothing is impossible to find, on eBay, or at least on the internet.

The technical name of what you are looking for is "Film Back for XXXX camera, including ground glass"

BONUS ITEMS

This listing also has a Wide Angle Bellows
This listing also has a Polaroid 545 film holder
These two items alone are near worth the whole BIN price

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 21:03
I truly appreciate the effort, my search was mostly directed at finding the single piece in used condition, so I was kind of ignoring the complete units.

After just picking up a bunch of underwater gear, I'm a week or two out on dropping the money.

When I get financially capable again I will again search, but this time for a complete camera like that one you found. That one is beautiful and has so many extras it is seriously making me consider pushing my mobile phone payment back a few weeks, but I'm going to stand strong haha.

I think I will also scope out the craigslist and the classifieds forums on a few sites (30 day probationary period here,) and will put the capture group sliding adapter up for sale, perhaps to offset my new found planned expenditures.

Thank you all, you have been very helpful and knowledgeable, hopefully you'll see me in the near future with some images!

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 21:23
Okay... I just bought it. Sue me.

dremhmrk2
26-Jan-2011, 21:49
So now that I went ahead and bought it, I'll have what I assume to be a complete setup.

That polaroid film holder, can that be used with the fuji FP-100 film?

engl
26-Jan-2011, 22:31
The setup is complete, if the film back for some reason does not fit, you could use the entire back standard from your new purchase. Or you could just use the entire camera you bought :)

Looks like a rather good deal, considering you got standard+bag bellows, air bubble "cable" release, 4 holders, polaroid back, swivel tripod mount included.

I was bidding on a Cambo SC myself a few days ago, but the seller decided at the last moment to withdraw the item and re-listed it with a pricey BIN and increased shipping. I'd much rather have won this, but shipping would have been too high.

Kuzano
26-Jan-2011, 23:27
On deals like your situation, I never try to find single pieces like this. It's far more likely that you will find a complete camera selling cheap, or a camera for parts and repair. You could have spent weeks just looking for a back alone, and I found what you need in 20 minutes. (And yes, I am bragging.... this is what I do well, and I make good money doing it) That's not uncommon and I don't have any mystical powers, except for what experience has shown me.

I loosely calculate that you purchased about $300 worth of individual items. In my experience, that camera is one I would have purchased and parted out to double or triple the investment. Furthermore, my price on the back alone would have been a BIN of $125, and a good price at that. One of the prime rules of eBay.... Buy Lots, Sell Pieces.

You are welcome.

Lars

dremhmrk2
27-Jan-2011, 09:22
Okay, now lets sort out some technical questions.

My goal here is instant photography, with that in mind is the Polaroid 545 going to be useful?

If it is, what film should I be buying? I'd prefer B&W but would play with color as well.

I see there is also a Polaroid 550 which uses pack film, and can use the pack film from Fuji. I hope I didn't get talked into a purchase I'll just have to make more purchases for haha.

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2011, 09:29
545 is no longer useful since Polaroid no longer exists nor any film that will fit it. There is another Polaroid back that is usable with Fuji instant pack film, though.

I like to have both slow and fast film available. I keep a supply of both FP4+ and HP5+ on hand and load holders in accordance with subject and lighting conditions.

Re: having to buy more and more... unfortunately that is required until you get what you want or need. :)

dremhmrk2
27-Jan-2011, 09:38
545 is no longer useful since Polaroid no longer exists nor any film that will fit it. There is another Polaroid back that is usable with Fuji instant pack film, though.

I like to have both slow and fast film available. I keep a supply of both FP4+ and HP5+ on hand and load holders in accordance with subject and lighting conditions.

Re: having to buy more and more... unfortunately that is required until you get what you want or need. :)

Well, I guess even though previous posters said that would be all I need considering my desired path, it's a bit frustrating to have make another purchase when i could have waited and perhaps found one camera with everything I needed as was suggested.

I'll be on the lookout for a Fuji FP-45 or a Polaroid 550 now :(

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2011, 09:52
Well, look at it this way... you got the camera for free, the part you need for a great price, a bunch of stuff you may or may-not need... but you are ready to shoot. life should be great for you.

In teh past I enjoyed Polaroid shooting for "fine art" applications but only used it in limited amounts for proofing. With not too much experience you will not need Polaroid proofing. Might be bettter for you to spend your spare change on a decent light meter if you don't already have one.

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2011, 09:53
By the way... that was a good buy you made. I was watching that since I, too, am looking for Cambo parts to convert my box of parts into a camera. If you are planning on reaping just the back and getting rid of the rest please PM or email me!

dremhmrk2
27-Jan-2011, 10:35
By the way... that was a good buy you made. I was watching that since I, too, am looking for Cambo parts to convert my box of parts into a camera. If you are planning on reaping just the back and getting rid of the rest please PM or email me!

I'll definitely PM you when it comes in!

Regarding the instant shooting, I want to be able to understand my mistakes a little quicker, so I can have fresh in my mind what I was trying to accomplish, what settings I used, and so on, and document it right on the photos right away.

I don't have the space for even a tiny studio, so if I shoot film, I'll be waiting weeks to see the fruits of any of my labors, by which point reshoots might be impossible for a number of reasons.

Regarding a light meter, I have the most ancient Sekonic incident meter, it's always server me well, even though the dial falls off halfway through the day. I have even been known to carry a second digital camera with a working light meter to judge my exposures as well.