PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving to a Fuji GX617 Panoramic Camera

juxtaposition
25-Jan-2011, 22:43
Any recommendations?

I'm currently looking at getting a "kit" a bit like http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FUJIFILM-FUJI-GX617-Panoramic-Fujinon-SW-90mm-1-5-6-/330521483358?pt=AU_FILM_CAMERAS&hash=item4cf49d985e#ht_922wt_1117 . Is it OK to buy such an expensive item on ebay?

Please help, thanks!

Lachlan 717
25-Jan-2011, 22:57
You could get a Shan Hao 617 with (at least) 3 lenses for the same price.

Or a Shen with one lens for half the price.

Or a DaYi/Gaoersi with (at least) 3 lenses.

While I won't tell you what I would do (especially since I have both a Shen and a DaYi), I can say that I certainly wouldn't go with the Fuji…

Sanjay Sen
25-Jan-2011, 23:15
... While I won't tell you what I would do (especially since I have both a Shen and a DaYi), I can say that I certainly wouldn't go with the Fuji…

Just curious as to why you wouldn't go with the Fuji: is that because of the price of the auction in question, or do you have a different reason / experience?

AF-ULF
26-Jan-2011, 00:07
KEH, (keh.com) lists a number of Fuji G617 Pro models on their website. Prices run from $1429 to $2029 USD. Listed cameras have the 105 lens. You might check their website for comparable cameras.

Kuzano
26-Jan-2011, 00:21
While I can't tell you distinct differences.... don't make the mistake of comparing prices for the G617 and the GX617. The G617 is Fuji's early 6x17 and the GX model is a later body. I suspect the GX is lighter and may have improved features. Consquently it is priced higher.

Hard for me to understand why someone would imply the Fuji as a poor choice without either experience and/or explanation. There were certainly great numbers sold and Fuji lenses tend to the superior side. I've had a bunch of Fuji's from many models of 645, 690 and others. While I've never had the 617, I've never really had a bad Fuji and if I wanted the format, would not hesitate to buy Fuji, although I'd probably buy the earlier G series for price considerations.

Regarding the question about buying in this price range on eBay....
1) International sale
2) Not very much feedback
3) Big dollars.....

I think I'd want to see a lot more feedback at 100% to give this auction the nod. These cameras are not that rare, that I'd risk such an auction.

I do a lot of eBay, but I have some very strict limits on what I would step up for. This one doesn't make the cut.

IanG
26-Jan-2011, 02:41
The Australian market is more expensive and it may not be an International sale, if that's the case an International sale from the UK/EU or US/Canada might save a little but Fuji 6x17's are expensive anyway unless older an a bit worn.

Lachlan makes a good point of looking at the other options. I've had a Gaoersi 617 for over 3 years now and have been very happy with it. An important point that's implicit in his comments is that it's far cheaper to get/use other focal length lenses for a Shen Hao, Gaoersi, Fotoman, DaYi etc.

A lot depends on whether you'd work with a tripod or hand held, I have to often work hand held so the Gaoersi suits me better. But if I was always using a tripod a 6x17 DaYi back on a 5x4 or 7x5 field camera or a Shen Hao 6x17 field acmear would suit me better than a Gaoersi, Fuji etc and be a considerable saving.

It needs careful thought what lens or lenses you'd use, I only uie a 75mm I found anything longer just wasn't for me but others go the opposite way preferring 90mm/105mm or longer.

Going 6x17 is an expensive option if you're not careful.

Ian

Lachlan 717
26-Jan-2011, 04:08
Just curious as to why you wouldn't go with the Fuji: is that because of the price of the auction in question, or do you have a different reason / experience?

1) Price.
2) It costs more to do less (no shift, no tilt, no swing).
3) Constrained proprietary lenses.
4) Price.
5) Lack of close focus.
6) Lack of availability for proprietary lenses.
7) Price.
8) Not made any more, so parts difficult to come by.
9) Lack of 72mm lens option (90mm the widest lens)
10) Price.

Lachlan 717
26-Jan-2011, 04:12
About the only thing going for the Fujis (whether G or GX) is there ability to use 220 film.

However, if you have tried to get any 220 film lately, you'll know that this has been rendered a fairly moot point in today's film market...

rguinter
26-Jan-2011, 04:21
Lachlan is right about the Fuji.

I own a Fuji G617 that I purchased new well before the GX617 came available. With it I have made some very impressive shots over the years and I have no plans to ever get rid of it. When I want it for a specific panorama shot, I want it.

The GX617 is an improved version with several interchangeable lenses. I too would like to upgrade to the GX617 but over the years the high cost, and lack of movements on the camera have kept me from going that route.

As with Lachlan's suggestions I would also recommend you spring for one of the cheaper (and newer) alternatives if you want to experiment with the 6x17-cm format. If will cost you a lot less to do more.

But then again, if I had unlimited cash I might buy a Fuji GX617 kit or a Technorama... but that would require lottery winnings right now (for me) as far as I can see.

An example Fuji G617 photo attached.

Cheers

Bob G.

So there is nothi

Steve M Hostetter
26-Jan-2011, 09:40
I think it's pretty silly to even consider buying one of these knowing you could buy an 8x10" P&S for a few hundred bucks
I guess these do have the advantage of having interchangable lenses @ what 15-2000. each?

Sanjay Sen
26-Jan-2011, 09:59
1) Price.
2) It costs more to do less (no shift, no tilt, no swing).
3) Constrained proprietary lenses.
4) Price.
5) Lack of close focus.
6) Lack of availability for proprietary lenses.
7) Price.
8) Not made any more, so parts difficult to come by.
9) Lack of 72mm lens option (90mm the widest lens)
10) Price.

Thanks, Lachlan. While I am aware of the lack of movements, proprietary lenses, etc., I was more concerned that there might be some inherent manufacturing and/or design flaws from a user perspective that I wasn't aware of.

Peter De Smidt
26-Jan-2011, 10:15
I briefly used one of the GX Fuji's, as I was able to borrow it for a few days. It's build quality is very similar to the newest Fuji rangefinders, such as a GSW670III. I found the GX very pleasant to shoot with. I agree with the other posters, though, as to it's price. The sad part is that the camera I used is sitting unused in a cabinet at a large corporation. They've gone all digital, and I doubt very much that they'll ever use it again.

rguinter
26-Jan-2011, 10:24
I think it's pretty silly to even consider buying one of these knowing you could buy an 8x10" P&S for a few hundred bucks
I guess these do have the advantage of having interchangable lenses @ what 15-2000. each?

Steve:

There are several distinct advantages to owning a dedicated 120/220-rollfilm camera rather than going the 8x10-route and cropping or using a roll-film back.

One is weight. I can hand hold my Fuji G617 and get 4-images as fast as I can wind the shutter and re-shoot.

Another is the sheer number of images I can get on one outing... virtually as many as I can carry roll-films in my pack or pockets.

And one more is film availability and developing. I can get C-41 roll-film developed at my local camera shop downtown in one day. Anything else and now I'm into mailing it out or doing it myself.

Although I find myself using LF more frequently these days, and sometimes with a roll-film back, the above advantages are very significant for a dedicated camera like the Fuji, Technorama, and others.

Bob G.

Anders_HK
27-Jan-2011, 00:11
Any recommendations?

I'm currently looking at getting a "kit" a bit like http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FUJIFILM-FUJI-GX617-Panoramic-Fujinon-SW-90mm-1-5-6-/330521483358?pt=AU_FILM_CAMERAS&hash=item4cf49d985e#ht_922wt_1117 . Is it OK to buy such an expensive item on ebay?

Please help, thanks!

Hi,

Did you see my Fotoman 617 w/90mm Schneider for sale? http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=71417&highlight=fotoman

It is cheaper than the Fuji and comes with Made in Germany lens that is sharp. For a 617 the only difference between a sharp f/8 and sharp f/5.6 lens is that the f/8 is less weight :). You compose through the viewfinder...

If you research or ask those who compared Fotoman to Gaoersi and DaoYi, the Fotoman is made to much better quality, and much better viewfinder.

My Shen-Hao 4x5 is a keeper but using view camera for 617 is a totally different beast. A dedicated 617 camera is more simple because lens remain parallel to film plane. For most applications there is no need for lens movements on 617.

Also, consider that there is no difference in image quality between a Fotoman to Fuji or Linhof. It depends on lens. The camera is only a box to hold the lens and film :) .

I can say what mattered to me with this camera was also that it has a 90mm Schendier lens. Not only because I prefer Schneider and Rodenstock but because it combines my two preferred focal lengths, the equivalents on 135 to 20mm horizontal and around 40mm vertical (to be precise 90mm on 617 is 19mm horizontal and 39mm vertical). A 72mm would have been wider and more specialized and a 110mm would not have been suffice wide, albeit that relates to personal preferences.

This review describe the Fotoman very well; http://www.gt-photography.com/articles/Fotoman%20617%20Review.pdf

Regards
Anders