PDA

View Full Version : Hoffman cameras

Jean-Louis Llech
2-Nov-1999, 10:16
Hi everybody !

Does anybody knows or has used the Hoffman cameras : Master view H45 and HS4 ? (I've read the references in the Stroebel's View camera technique)

Are these cameras still fabricated and who knows an email address ?

Thanks

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
2-Nov-1999, 16:36
Hi Dr. LLech!!!

I am temporarily unable to use the net from home so I cannot give you Murray Hoffman's address and phone. However, he does advertise in View Camera from time to time.

I have never seen a Hoffman in the flesh, but the reviews I have read, since the mid 80's, have indicated that it is a clone of the Kodak Master Camera 8 X 10. The 4 X 5 is a 5 X 7 with a reduction back, the whole camera scaled down from the 8 X 10 Kodak with the addition of rear rise and a modicum of rear shift. It seems like a good but expensive system, with some nice accessories including extension boards and revolving bail-opening backs. Sometime within the last 3 years or so Murray has advertised that he will be producing a line of wooden cameras.

I once spoke to Murray over the phone in search of a source of parts for my Kodak. He was unable to tell me if the parts were interchangeable. I have heard rumours that he has never actually sold one of the cameras since they were introduced. They are expensive enough that it may be he has only one prototype of each model and no production cameras available. If this is accurate, than a purchase could involve a lengthy wait. But again this is conjecture based on heresay. In any event, whatever you discover, please post here so that the rest of the community could benefit. Were it me, I'd save the $ and buy a 2nd hand Calumet or Deardorff.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
4-Nov-1999, 19:17
O.K. In the Jan/Feb '98 issue of View Camera, Hoffman advertises his address etc.

Hoffman Camera Corp 19 Grand Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735 Phone: 1-516-694-4470

Let us know what you find out

Bob Salomon
4-Nov-1999, 20:27
Hoffman displays at shows in the Adorama booth. They were there at this years Photo + East in NYC last week.

So Adorama should be able to help you.