PDA

View Full Version : Film for summer

John Kasaian
23-Jan-2011, 18:51
With Ilford's price increase it wouldn't be a surprise if other manfacturers will follow suit. I find that the problem with shooting multiple formats is that I can't just lay aside a few boxed of 8x10, but also 5x7 & 4x5 as well. The larger, more immediate issue is what film, whose film and from where?
If Ilford's increase commences Feb 1st that makes for an interesting paradox. TXP from B+H is on par with Badger and Freestyle's prices for HP-5+. After the increase Kodak should be quite a bit cheaper---until Kodak raises it's prices if it hasn't already(I suspect it may have, they always seem to be raising prices, but who knows?)
Arista .eduUltra has had a price increase from last year and I can only wonder if we can expect an additional increase or if Freestyle will be able to hold the line.

Daniel Stone
23-Jan-2011, 19:12
shoot what you know film-wise

just enjoy the time, and have some fun :)!

-Dan

Drew Wiley
23-Jan-2011, 19:51
I've pretty much burned through my stash of outdated and bargain film, which wasn't always a bargain when quality-control issues were involved, or substandard
packaging. Right now I'm loading up my 8x10 holders for Spring trips, and figure
I'll just have to save money by shooting 4x5 on the weekends in the meantime.
Fortepan 100 looks interesting, but has the same poor recip characteristics as Arista
200 did, and might be the same thing, just more realistically rated. Have you tried it
yet? The 200 version had wonderful shadow separation, but I lost quite a few shots
due to scratches (no interleafing paper). So it was really no bargain. When I run out
of Bergger 200, it will be TMY from there out, although I also have quite a bit of
FP4+ in the freezer for when its characteristics are suitable.

Merg Ross
23-Jan-2011, 21:25
Hi John,

Always an interesting subject, the price of photographic materials. I was moving things around in my studio today and came across an old box of Kodabromide F2, double weight glossy paper, 100 sheets, with a price sticker. This was my bread and butter paper during the height of my commercial career, when I was making hundreds of prints a month. The expiration date on the box is 9/75, and the price was $15.52.

That happened to be exactly 10% of my residential rent at the time. I, as we all do, often reflect on the current price of materials. In so doing, there are different levels of concern:

If photography is your livlihood, as it was mine, one can pass the cost of materials on to the client.

If photography is your hobby, then you must consider your finances relative to the minimal acceptable results from the materials.

If photography is your passion, and your expectations are derived from using the finest materials, you pay the price.

However, a caveat, the most expensive materials do not necessarily yield the finest results!