PDA

View Full Version : Noise/Grain Quesiton...

dbla
23-Jan-2011, 11:29
Okay, so...

I am clearly new at this whole "scanning" thing... so I have a question.

In the attached image does the noise/grain look excessive? or wrong? They are 6x6 negs scanned at 4800ppi using ICE... I don't know what those different things affect, but if you guys could take a look and help me out a little bit... maybe this is perfectly normal... I just have no point of reference.

The image is a 100% crop from the 4800 scan, after I reduced it to a 4500px square image. I hope that doesn't make things too complicated.

-a

Jack Dahlgren
31-Jan-2011, 12:43
Okay, so...

I am clearly new at this whole "scanning" thing... so I have a question.

In the attached image does the noise/grain look excessive? or wrong? They are 6x6 negs scanned at 4800ppi using ICE... I don't know what those different things affect, but if you guys could take a look and help me out a little bit... maybe this is perfectly normal... I just have no point of reference.

The image is a 100% crop from the 4800 scan, after I reduced it to a 4500px square image. I hope that doesn't make things too complicated.

-a

Looks OK. Remember that what is shown on screen is typically at 72ppi while printing it going to be much smaller so you won't likely see any of the grain. Or in otherwords, what you see on screen is going to be different from the print.

Your image is 480 pixels high, so it is 1/10th of the whole image in height. On my screen it is approximately 4 inches high. So if you are making a 40 inch high print, then it will look like what you see on screen at 100%.

Don't get caught up in looking at things in more magnification than you need to.