PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a good, cheap, darkroom light

Cornelius
21-Jan-2011, 01:05
I would love to hear any recommendations for a cheap, reliable, darkroom light that won't fog paper. Thanks in advance.

Daniel Stone
21-Jan-2011, 01:45
look on craigslist.org

lots of them pop up on there.

depending on which paper you use, most will be fine with an OC(orange) safelight, however, some(mostly graded) papers need a dark red filter.

in either case, I'd keep the paper in a paper-safe while printing, so its not out in the light(safelight)

-Dan

Brian C. Miller
21-Jan-2011, 02:31
I use red Delta 7.5W bulbs in a trouble light clamp. One of my bulbs uses red glass instead of being dipped in paint, but I don't think that GE makes that bulb any longer.

The red LED party lightbulbs are excellent, too. There's a link somewhere about them, maybe it will show up in a search.

John Kasaian
21-Jan-2011, 13:49
The cheapest I know are GE Guide Lamps, amber night lites that came 2 on a card for about a buck. I'm still using mine, but they haven't been manufactured in years. If you happen across on old hardware store or variety shop with a bunch of old stock you might luck out. For Ortho stuff I use a string of red led Christmas lights that tested OK---it make the dark room downright jolly!:D

Roger Cole
21-Jan-2011, 15:08
Don't try to skimp. You can buy a proper safelight for $25 to $35. The higher cost gets you one on which you can change the filters as needed. Here's a $25 one:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/325001-Arista-Darkoom-Safelight-Orange?cat_id=1603

Those look identical to a Paterson I have. It works well, and the bulb is a cheap plain replacement:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/325300-Replacement-Bulb-for-Arista-Darkroom-Safelights

Somewhat better for ten bucks more:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/191657-Premier-5x7-OC-Safelight?cat_id=1603

Pawlowski6132
21-Jan-2011, 19:19
They're all cheap on ebay.

Eric Woodbury
21-Jan-2011, 22:05
I'm using red LED Christmas lights and some little bulbs from superbrightleds.

SamReeves
22-Jan-2011, 10:02
I'm using red LED Christmas lights and some little bulbs from superbrightleds.

Now turn them on as flashers or racing lights! LOL.

tgtaylor
22-Jan-2011, 11:54
I use a Thomas safe-light that I picked-up used off craigslist for $90 with an extra bulb. It's a large light but you can adjust the brightness by opening the vanes to the desired opening. The Thomas works better than any other safe-light that I have used. It takes a few minutes to warm-up during which it hums, but once warm runs silently.

I expose the paper in the bedroom where the enlarger sits out of the way and away from the moisture of a bathroom and walk the paper across the hall to the where the trays are set-up and the Thomas light is propped up on a printer stand placed at the far end of the bathroom counter. Since a large mirror is there against the wall, I cover the mirror by taping a black contractors cleanup bag across it. This set-up works good for me.

Thomas

Rick A
24-Jan-2011, 05:25
I trust my Premier 5x7 RED safelight not to fog any paper, especially the eastern European papers that require a red safelight. Mine is mounted one meter above my main work area, and I have tested paper exposure to it for 30 minutes without any fogging(quarter test). Its not as bright as an OC filter, but much safer.

Milton Tierney
24-Jan-2011, 16:13
In 1983 I started using a 40watt red bulb connected to a dimmer switch set half way and about 6-7 ft away from the paper with no problems. I’m still using the same bulb, you cannot ask for a cheaper safelight.

Brian Ellis
24-Jan-2011, 20:24
I trust my Premier 5x7 RED safelight not to fog any paper, especially the eastern European papers that require a red safelight. Mine is mounted one meter above my main work area, and I have tested paper exposure to it for 30 minutes without any fogging(quarter test). Its not as bright as an OC filter, but much safer.

If by the "quarter test" you mean putting a sheet of paper on your counter or easel, placing a quarter on it for some length of time, then processing the paper to see if there's a difference between the area that was under the quarter and the rest of the paper, that's no test at all because it doesn't take the exposure of the paper to the enlarger light that occurs when you make a print into account. Ansel Adams book "The Print" has instructions for a real test, I'm sure there are others on line as well.

Peter De Smidt
25-Jan-2011, 08:17
Red LEDs. I bought some red led bulbs that screw right in to a standard socket. They are very bright, and they tested safe.

shawnchin
25-Jan-2011, 17:25
Well i would suggest to go CVG Cam Light, it has good result in very cheap price.

Ron McElroy
25-Jan-2011, 19:00
I agree with Peter. I recently put up some red LED Christmas lights along with the screw in LED bulbs. They are safe and very bright. I also purchased some amber LEDs, but have not tested them yet. They seem too bright.

theBDT
25-Jan-2011, 22:03
I got LEDs that are specifically 660nm in wavelength. They're quite bright, but most any paper you could hope to use is blind to them...

Jeff Bannow
26-Jan-2011, 12:28
If by the "quarter test" you mean putting a sheet of paper on your counter or easel, placing a quarter on it for some length of time, then processing the paper to see if there's a difference between the area that was under the quarter and the rest of the paper, that's no test at all because it doesn't take the exposure of the paper to the enlarger light that occurs when you make a print into account. Ansel Adams book "The Print" has instructions for a real test, I'm sure there are others on line as well.

Try this for a safelight test:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/k4/k4TestSafelite.shtml

natelfo
27-Jan-2011, 02:05
I use a great, bright, cheap bulb that I bought from Wal-Mart (they also carry them at most hardware stores like Lowe's, Home Depot etc.). The red CFL (corkscrew looking florescent bulbs that are the size of regular light bulbs) party light. Been using the same bulb for two years now and will not fog my paper even after 15 minutes of direct exposure. The only paper I have used that this light will fog is the Efke B/W reversal paper. The bulb is great, bright, and only costs about U.S. $8. The one I us is made my Feit Electronics, but I'm sure that other red CFL party bulbs work fine, just do a test with your paper.

pcyco
28-Jan-2011, 05:08
hallo

i use philips deco lights 1 watt led.

they are bright and safe to my materials. (ilford paper, kentmere, bromoil from efke, various baryt)

i testet it for about 15 minutes at a distance ca. 30 cm (~12 inch)

bright white papaer no fog.

analog greetings

thomas

edi: not cheap but i think the solution lasts forever 13 euro per bulb