PDA

View Full Version : Lensboard Adapter Calumet C-1 to Linhof

David de Gruyl
20-Jan-2011, 09:25
So I have a Calumet C-1 8x10 camera that takes 6x6 lens boards. I also have a 4x5 camera which takes linhof lens boards (it is the Chamonix, but several others take these lens boards).

Is there an off-the-shelf adapter which takes linhof boards and fits on the Calumet?

If not, can you recommend a custom fabber for this? (I know that S. K. Grimes does this work, I am looking for other options and / or recommendations for his work).

Len Middleton
20-Jan-2011, 09:50
David,

Calumet C1 lens boards are the same as Deardorff 6x6 boards, so if you can find an adaptor to mount Linhof boards (Technika I presume) onto Deardorff, that should work. They should not be too hard to find.

I know this as I have used a couple of metal Calumet C1 lens boards on my Deardorff V8, and owning a Technika as well, have that type of adaptor board to use the smaller lenses on both.

Hope that helps,

Len

David de Gruyl
20-Jan-2011, 10:02
Len,

Thanks. I wasn't 100% positive that the Deardorff boards were the same. Good to know.

As for technika or not... I am working that out. The lensboards from Chamonix do not have the notches in the bottom side. Other than that, they seem to have the same dimensions.

Len Middleton
20-Jan-2011, 10:59
David,

Those notches could be important on an adaptor board.

The wood adaptor board I am using, has two metal posts with an oversized end on them (T cross section). The Technika board is held at the top with the typical sliding lock mechanism. At the bottom, it is located with the two posts, and the oversized ends stop the Technika board from sliding forward and retains in place. The posts line up with the notches, and reduces the amount it can shift laterally. The diameter of the hole in the board also matches the size and location of the baffle ring on the back of the Technika boards, which retains it laterally as well.

Hope that explaination makes sense,

Len

David de Gruyl
20-Jan-2011, 11:04
Len,

Your explanation makes sense. I figured that was the case, and I wasn't very worried about it: my 8x10 lenses can live on actual technika lensboards, if that makes life easier. It would certainly make my life easier, if it works.

David

Graybeard
20-Jan-2011, 11:51
There are metal adaptor boards in the size that you need being offered by Chinese vendors on eBay.

I've found the vendor "jmfinance" to be reliable.

Len Middleton
20-Jan-2011, 12:21
David,

It does work for me. I have all my smaller and shorter lenses on Technika boards up to a 305mm G-Claron and a 355mm Repro-Claron.

For the big guns (420mm Apo Nikkor, 485mm Apo-Ronar CL, & 600mm Apo- Ronar CL), they get their own 6x6 boards, with the 600mm on a metal C1 board due to its size and weight.

As Graybeard suggests, there are vendors on feeBay offering those adaptors, but I have no knowledge about their products or business practices.

Good luck,

Len