PDA

View Full Version : Film Questions

Heywood
19-Jan-2011, 13:06
Hi:

I'm not that much of a camera person, my daughter is and I had picked up this past summer a Century #7 for her missing a lot of parts. She's only 16 but I got this for her because i feel she needs to know more then just digital.

I was relating the story to someone and they said something like "since she's new i guess you'll be using xray film or _____ paper" (i can't recall what kind of paper)

I guess he was trying to say since she's a novice begin the least expensive way possible. I've since lost that e-mail & can't recall who it was that told me.

Is this a viable way for a novice to begin ? especially if she becomes disenchanted and hardly uses it.

So what kind of xray film or whats this mysterious paper ?

Regards
Tim

jp
19-Jan-2011, 13:51
If she's paying for the consumables, she'll appreciate xray film or paper. grade2 paper seems to be the choice. you can see examples of xray film use here. I don't use it yet, so I can't offer advice.

If you're paying for consumables, she'll want tmy2, and print with platinum.

I think a good system for a novice to learn to appreciate film quality is a used TLR or 4x5 press camera. The medium format is cheap to use and produces nice image quality. a speed/crown 4x5 press camera is a cheap entry into 4x5 and is portable. 35mm SLR is nice to complement a dslr system, but for me, color film is lower quality than modern color digital and it won't impress a newcomer the same way bigger B&W will. 4x5 will let you do alt process contact prints without the need for a darkroom and enlarger setup.

A century studio camera is quite interesting in itself, but it's pretty limiting to portraits and still life. You can't really go adventuring with it like young people like to do. I'm not trying to get you to unload the century; I have two already.

Heywood
19-Jan-2011, 14:26
Yes, it's very large but I was lucky enough to get the carriage with it.
However I have 2 now. Looking to get the first one in order I looked for a derelict one that i could make 1 good camera out of the 2.
Someone had one locally and when no one bought it & i was the only inquiry he gave it to me. This one is a century 9a but it's in very good condition, so i can't cannibalize one to finish the other. Realizing that they are way to big to take out I just bought an Eastman 33a from e-bay but it has not arrived yet.

When you say platinum i think $ and if after a few times she says thanks but no thanks dad I don't want to be stuck with expensive consumables that will just get dusty.

I have 5x7 & 8x10 backs for the century's and I believe the 33a is 5x7, possibly 4x5 so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and start inexpensively.

I've seen x-ray film on ebay, some say "blue" some "green" would I just cut this to size to fit in a 5x7 ?

And I'm unsure how to use the paper, would the camera expose directly to the paper in a holder ?

Pawlowski6132
19-Jan-2011, 18:10
And I'm unsure how to use the paper, would the camera expose directly to the paper in a holder ?

??????

Really??

Have you really thought this through?

Who's going to develop your negatives?
What will you do with the processed negatives?
Does your daughter have a light meter?

Heywood
19-Jan-2011, 18:36
I have an area in the basement I have constructed for a darkroom and I have all the necessary supplies for her to develop 35mm film, but as i said I'm not a camera person so i don't know exactly whats involved but I'd like to learn so i can assist her & not just stand by.

Whatever it takes, whatever I need to buy i'm sure i can find at reasonable prices here, e-bay or craigslist

Pawlowski6132
19-Jan-2011, 19:19
OK.

Besides the camera, you will need:

Lens
Shutter
Shutter Release Cable
Light Meter
Film Holders
Dark Cloth
Loupe

Darkroom:
Development tank/trays/processing tubes etc. Depending on how you decide to process your film.
Developer
Stop Bath
Fixer
HCA/Photoflo
Film Clips
Thermometer
Contact Print Frame
or Enlarger w/ Lens, lensboard filtration system
Easel
Timer
Paper
Paper developer
Grain Focuser
Paper safes
Safe Light
Tongs/Gloves

You will need to understand how to meter by hand for your speed of film
You will eventually need to understand the movements of the camera for focusing
Probably bellows estension factor
Understand the reciprocity factor of your film

You'll need to understand how to dodge/burn, and the basics of contrast control

Assuming you're getting x-ray film or using an older shutter, you'll want to do some testing to understand your Personal Exposure Index. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time and some money using the trial and error method understanding how to exposure your film properly.

Good Luck.

Michael Kadillak
19-Jan-2011, 21:15
I have an area in the basement I have constructed for a darkroom and I have all the necessary supplies for her to develop 35mm film, but as i said I'm not a camera person so i don't know exactly whats involved but I'd like to learn so i can assist her & not just stand by.

Whatever it takes, whatever I need to buy i'm sure i can find at reasonable prices here, e-bay or craigslist

Before you get all confronted by the last post I would simply suggest that you go to the library or a used book store or the internet and educate yourself. It is not that complicated at all. After you get a handle on what is involved you can go on Craig's List and get everything you need for nearly give away prices. It will be a great experience for you and your daughter.

John Kasaian
19-Jan-2011, 21:36
I think it is critical that you get the camera "up and running" first off. Few things are worse for a student's moral than leaky bellows or adjustments that won't properly tighten, which only give blurred negatives if any image at all.
I'd recommend Freestyle's inexpensive Ortho Litho film. She can load, unload and develop this film under a red safelight, and develop it in trays in diluted paper developer by inspection so there is only one developer to concern yourself with. It only has a iso of 6, but it will give her a negative and that will simplify things---she can learn about paper negatives later if she has the desire (I like a MG RC matte finish paper) and no two sided emulsions like x-ray film. I prefer to keep things simple :) What is nice about sheet film is that contact printing will expose her to no end of various alternative printing technques if she whishes.

My kids each have their own old Agfa Anscos, btw ;)

John Kasaian
19-Jan-2011, 21:47
Oh yeah, click on LF Homepage in the blue banner on top of this page for a treasurey of LF Photographic information! :)

joselsgil
20-Jan-2011, 00:48
Heywood, your profile doesn't mention where you live, so advise is somewhat hard to give due to different supplies and material sources in your area.

That being said, it would be a very good idea for your daughter to enroll in a photography courses in either high school or local college. If that is not possible, you might want to invest in Ansel Adams' photography series books. Book No.1 is the camera. It is not a difficult read and explains a great deal about cameras. Book No.2 is the Negative. Book No.3 is the Print.

If your daughter is just starting out in photography, the large format camera is much more involved than a 35mm SLR. Not to mention the cost of film is higher. However, large format really makes you think about the film you are about to expose, the composition of the photo, how you are going to develop the film and ultimately print the negative. Just remember to keep things simple and fun.

William McEwen
20-Jan-2011, 11:58
Heywood, it sounds like a lovely long term project for you and your daughter to enjoy together. You're well on your way to having fun times and creating great memories.

Yes, by all means, get the camera working first.

Paper negatives are OK, but film is where it's at. I recommend Kodak Tri-X.

The Ansel Adams books "The Camera" "The Negative" and "The Print" are excellent, and another good book about processing and printing is "The Zone VI Workshop" by Fred Picker. It's no longer in print, but it's easy to find on eBay or Abebooks, etc.

Getting started in large format photography and darkroom work is a long series of acquisition -- of equipment, materials, and information.

This forum is an excellent source of information. You'll find smart people and good advice.