PDA

View Full Version : Tessar (Ektar) construction

Fotoguy20d
19-Jan-2011, 11:48
I removed the front cell from a 127mm Kodak Anastigmat Special (the 1944 military ektar) for cleaning, while the shutter happened to be open. The rear projected a very decent looking image of the room ceiling light fixture onto my work desk. What's the deal with that? Is a Tessar a cemented anastigmat pair in the rear? The front didn't project anything but light so it's obviously not a corrected dialyte pair?

Thanks,
Dan

Arne Croell
19-Jan-2011, 13:06
I removed the front cell from a 127mm Kodak Anastigmat Special (the 1944 military ektar) for cleaning, while the shutter happened to be open. The rear projected a very decent looking image of the room ceiling light fixture onto my work desk. What's the deal with that? Is a Tessar a cemented anastigmat pair in the rear? The front didn't project anything but light so it's obviously not a corrected dialyte pair?

Thanks,
Dan
All the focusing power of a Tessar is in the cemented back group, the front cell pair actually has negative power and mainly corrects the aberrations of the back group. Thus the cemented back group does form an image, but it has a shorter focal length than the full objective, and is very badly corrected on its own - certainly not an anastigmat pair!