PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Kodachrome - Tribute

Jim Cole
18-Jan-2011, 16:17
I did my share of Kodachrome in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's. I really won't miss the film at all except for its archival properties and the reminders of the many travels and good times I had with it. I always hated how it rendered foliage, but boy, those reds and yellows! Hell, I even shot a picture of a "Kodak Picture Spot" sign with it.

Since I still had two rolls tucked away in the freezer, I thought I would make my own tribute to the colorful film that it was in its day.

Please add your own tributes of or images shot with Kodachrome to the thread.

This is from yesterday on 4x5 Acros in Rodinal with a no-name 8 1/4" Petzval at f32.
After scanning, the image was colorized in Photoshop.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5202/5368520236_df6d362e4c_b.jpg

photobymike
18-Jan-2011, 17:12
Me 57 years ago on Kodak Kodachrome taken with an Argus C3. My father has really nice Chromes from the Korean war when he served in the US Navy on an oiler. Thousands of Kodachromes. Some as old as 60 years and still scan-able.

http://web.me.com/photobymike/main/mike.html

Randy
18-Jan-2011, 18:41
This past summer I loaded my last roll of 35mm Kodachrome 64 into my Nikon FM, loaded some B&W 120 into my Minolta Autocord TLR, put both into my camera bag along with a Minolta meter, strapped the little Domke bag to the back seat of my motorcycle and headed out.

I was stopped at a light after about 45 minutes of riding and the guy in a truck next to me honked. When I looked at him he was pointing to the back of my bike. I looked behind me and all that was left was a tie-down strap dragging behind me. I almost cried...no, I think I did weep a little, as I retraced my path down numerous roads in Reedsville, NC hoping that I'd find the little beige bag along side the road.
Never did.

I think I would have been less upset if it had of been my Canon 5D that I lost.

Randy
18-Jan-2011, 18:46
Here is my Dad and Grandmother taken on Kodachrome about '55 or '56.

http://rsphoto.fileave.com/dadmama.jpg

Renedage
21-Jan-2011, 12:50

Wow! What a lovely shot!

Roger Cole
24-Jan-2011, 22:17
I never shot a lot of Kodachrome before but rather like the unusual pallette and look it can give, especially when projected. When the discontinuation was announced I went a little nuts and bought up a bunch on eBay, shooting a total of 15 rolls. I'm still waiting for the last three rolls back from Dwayne's.

Is it ok to post Kodachrome images in this thread, though? This was posted in the image sharing forum which is supposed to be for LF images only. Maybe a move to another forum where 35mm images are allowed?

Jim Cole
25-Jan-2011, 07:27
Actually, I was hoping to see some large format Kodachromes. I've only been shooting LF for 6 years, so I'm not even sure that Kodachrome was available as sheet film.

If none appear after a while, maybe the moderators could move this to a different forum that would allow 35mm images.

Mark Sampson
25-Jan-2011, 07:47
Kodachrome sheet film was only made in the 1940s, effectively it's been gone for 60 years. Kodak gave some to Ansel Adams and Edward Weston to test/use, if you look for their work in color you'll find some examples. They were testing the first Ektachrome at the same time; not surprisingly the Kodachromes have survived better.

Roger Cole
25-Jan-2011, 07:50
Actually, I was hoping to see some large format Kodachromes. I've only been shooting LF for 6 years, so I'm not even sure that Kodachrome was available as sheet film.

If none appear after a while, maybe the moderators could move this to a different forum that would allow 35mm images.

I think Kodachrome was available in sheets many years ago. I got into photography in high school in the late 1970s and it was 35mm only by then. They later made it in 120 for a while, but it hasn't been available in sheet sizes in decades.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Kodachrome was only available in sheets from 1938-1951:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome#Product_timeline

Not likely anyone on here actually shot any of it, but I suppose it's remotely possible.

Randy
25-Jan-2011, 08:15
I think I shot one roll of 120 size K'Chrome, ISO 200, back in the mid 1980's. I will look around and see if I can dig it out. I don't remember what is on it.

EdWorkman
25-Jan-2011, 09:40
For LF shots on Kodachrome go to the SHORPY website- you'll find a button on the right side for Kodachromes.
Kodachrome 200 in 120?? Missed that. DANG. I did shoot some 35mm 200 and 120 64 and I even tried some pushing/pulling.

Sean Galbraith
1-Feb-2011, 16:45
I only shot Kodachrome in the last year, but I was sad to see it go.

Link to a slide show of Kodachrome shots I took in NYC in 2010 (http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=kodachrome+new+york+city&w=74421581%40N00)

Richard M. Coda
1-Feb-2011, 17:47

Beautiful image! And just a straight shot. It's a shame what all these [college] kids have to do today to get a shot half as nice as this one.

rguinter
1-Feb-2011, 19:30
I think Kodachrome was available in sheets many years ago. I got into photography in high school in the late 1970s and it was 35mm only by then. They later made it in 120 for a while, but it hasn't been available in sheet sizes in decades.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Kodachrome was only available in sheets from 1938-1951:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome#Product_timeline

Not likely anyone on here actually shot any of it, but I suppose it's remotely possible.

I did quite a bit of it in 120 size. It was one of my favorite films. Contrary to some comments of others in this forum lately, I always liked the palette and it renders outdoor scenes very close to what my own eyes typically see.

A couple of my favorite PKR-64 120 shots here.

1 and 2 with my Widelux 1500 and #3 with my Fuji G617.

Bob G.

Roger Cole
1-Feb-2011, 19:34
I did quite a bit of it in 120 size. It was one of my favorite films. Contrary to some comments of others in this forum lately, I always liked the palette and it renders outdoor scenes very close to what my own eyes typically see.

Bob G.

I knew it was available in 120 during the time I've been photographing but I didn't (and don't, but plan to) have anything that uses 120 film. I'd love to have shot some.

NOTE - I thought it was 15 as I first posted. I counted again and it was 17 rolls. I can't seem to edit my old post. I guess the edit feature goes away after a certain amount of time.

The 17 rolls I shot in my farewell to Kodachrome really gave me an appreciation for it. For many subjects I too prefer the palette, and it looks wonderful projected.

Brad Bireley
1-Feb-2011, 19:57

Bob G.

Where was #3 shot?

pdmoylan
1-Feb-2011, 20:13
Mark, I believe Eliot Porter and the elder Meunch, David's father, both used Kodachrome sheet film, the former for his early bird photography and both for their early color landscape work. Imagine trying to photograph birds in action at the nest in color using 4x5 Kodachrome with an ASA of 10, flash and at say 1/3 to 1/2 life size? I am still in awe of what some of the pioneers in different genres were able to accomplish within such limitations. I wonder if anyone in the forum has tried this exercise with 4x5 film?

Roger Cole
1-Feb-2011, 20:32
I am originally from Elizabethton TN and decided to record the colors of fall, 2010 on Kodachrome as it would be the last chance I had. Fortune smiled in this sense as the leaf colors were absolutely spectacular this year.

Humm...I thought I knew vBulletin from other boards I'm on, but trying to embed the images as links to my Flickr account didn't work. It was just completely blank like they weren't there. Any suggestions? (I know I can attach them and show as thumbnails, but I see tons of embedded images on here.)

EDIT: Ok it seems even though I found a way to do it on another photo, I can't find a way on Flickr to grab the link to just the image. I can only link to the page with the image, which was why it was blank. Don't tell me I have to find a different place to store them so I can easily post? :confused: I have web space I can use but it isn't good for much ELSE. I just got on Flickr so I'm a bit confuzled.

EDIT II: Ok, I figured it out, but there has to be an easier way. I had to grab the HTML/BB code then cut out the src= link from within it.

At any rate:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5409616106_1b90e346d4.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5409003701_091c30d3a1.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5409616270_026981aa6f.jpg

Now it says I've included five when I try to include four. I have to cut it to three so it thinks there are four. Argh.

At any rate, the rest of the ones I've re-sized so far are on my Flickr Kodachrome set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogercole/sets/72157625927349242/) and publicly viewable.

rguinter
2-Feb-2011, 05:12
... For many subjects I too prefer the palette, and it looks wonderful projected.

Except for professional projects in the 70s and 80s where I produced images for presentation, I've never projected any of my transparencies.

Kodachrome slides have a long life expectancy but, from what I've read, the recommendation is to store them in the dark under controlled temp & RH. And don't project them.

With that they should last several lifetimes.

Bob G.

rguinter
2-Feb-2011, 05:14
Where was #3 shot?

#3 was in my late uncle's wilderness cabin on the East Branch Penobscot River. About 25 miles East of Mt. Katahdin.

Alas the cabin (I understand) is now also gone due to the major land purchase several years ago by Roxanne Quimby of Burt's Bees fame.

Rumour has it she tore all the camps down that were in her parcel.

Bob G.

Jim Cole
2-Feb-2011, 05:23
I only shot Kodachrome in the last year, but I was sad to see it go.

Link to a slide show of Kodachrome shots I took in NYC in 2010 (http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=kodachrome+new+york+city&w=74421581%40N00)

Sean,
Except for one or two of those images, they look like they could have been taken in the 1960s. Thanks for posting.

arca andy
2-Feb-2011, 06:06
Hi Folks
According to the BJP Jan 2011 Steve McCurry shot the last roll of Kodachrome ever made. He approached Kodak when he learnt that the film was going to be discontinued and they agreed to give him the last roll in tribute to all the great work he has done over the years with that film.
Which seems fair to me.
Ta Andy

Roger Cole
2-Feb-2011, 12:42
Except for professional projects in the 70s and 80s where I produced images for presentation, I've never projected any of my transparencies.

Kodachrome slides have a long life expectancy but, from what I've read, the recommendation is to store them in the dark under controlled temp & RH. And don't project them.

With that they should last several lifetimes.

Bob G.

It's true that, while Kodachrome is very resistant to dark fading, it does not fare so well in light fading and will be faded by excess projection. People used to shoot Ektachrome dupes of Kodachrome originals for projection purposes.

Still, it's not like they're going to vanish if you project them for a few minutes. If you were showing them frequently, say an instructional slide show that you presented over and over, Kodachrome would not be a film I'd recommend (when it still existed.) But then again, things like that are a case where digital really IS superior in every way. For sharing your shots with family and friends on occasion I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Robert Hughes
2-Feb-2011, 12:56
while Kodachrome is very resistant to dark fading, it does not fare so well in light fading and will be faded by excess projection.
This is just one reason why digital projection has it all over photo slide shows. You can show a .jpg file forever without damage, and have (nasty digital) copies to distribute as you will.

rguinter
2-Feb-2011, 14:25
This is just one reason why digital projection has it all over photo slide shows. You can show a .jpg file forever without damage, and have (nasty digital) copies to distribute as you will.

True it is.

I think the last technical presentation I did with a slide projector was in the early 1990s.

Of course we all use Powerpoint now but in the early days it was Harvard Graphics.

Once these software packages became commonplace my slide projector was sent off into back room storage. Probably long ago trashed by now too since they retired me out early in 2001.

Bob G.

Roger Cole
2-Feb-2011, 15:45

That's both a virtue and a drawback, in my admitedly romantic view.

It's a drawback in the sense of "what we attain too easily we esteem too lightly." When it's a lot more trouble to set up a projector and darken a room, and you have to be at least somewhat aware of not overdoing the use of the originals, and there's only one (full quality) of the original, it takes on a special meaning. The very fact that it's more difficult and fragile gives it more meaning and substance, at least to some of us Luddites. ;)

I just got a pristine Medalist projector given to me from someone who retired it from presentations at his Masonic lodge, now to be used for sharing special views with family and friends - not the dreaded vacation show of "here's Joe and Jane at the whatsit" but occasional displays of perhaps a few to a few dozen images.